1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus PEN E-PL1 autofocus issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chistreetstyle, Mar 5, 2011.

1. chistreetstyle

chistreetstyle New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I use an Olympus PEN E-PL1 to shoot street style in Chicago. I love this camera except for one very big flaw - the autofocus sucks. it's actually quite atrocious.

Is there any way to fix this? I've read about a firmware update on the internet but I can't seem to find any information on it.

Thanks,

Amy

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Have you set up the small focus box? With the small AF box the kit lens get faster. And with a msc lens it gets even faster. 40-150 makes a CAF camera AF allot faster.

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  4. chistreetstyle

chistreetstyle New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2011
    @shoturtle

My firmware is what the camera came with. How would I go about updating it? I've never updated the firmware.

5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    go to this site, and download the olympus software and install it. Make sure you have a fully charge battery. connect the camera to the computer and run the updater. And it will download and update the camera and lens if you have one that does not have the latest firmware.

Olympus Digital Camera Updater

6. DaBuffaloNish

DaBuffaloNish Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2011
    if you have multiple lens's and need them updated do you just repeat the process? I have an epl1 thats never been updated 1.0! and my lens's have never been updated either, they are all olympus brands

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yes. Its a very easy process. You're in for a pleasant surprise from 1.0.

Gordon

8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you have multiple lenses, just repeat the process with the other lenses on the camera. It will just update the lens if it is not on the latest firmware.

9. DaBuffaloNish

Jan 16, 2011
    fantastic thanks guys

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Yes and no. When you cycle through live view screens with the 'info' button, if the magnifying screen is in the cycle (it's a gear menu function), you can click 'ok' to enter magnified mode and set the default multiply factor. So if you leave that mode in 'x10' mode, the green square becomes visibly smaller afterwards. (I may not be extremely clear, but I can't really explain it any better).

The catch is a) I never noticed it really improved focusing speed b) and I never noticed it increased focusing accuracy either, to the contrary, focusing seems to happen on objects outside the smaller green box by a few pixels, if they are closer to the camera than what's in the green box.

Do your own tests to see what I mean.

Cheers,

12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    On the ep-1 allot of user say after you pick the point with the small box but it goes back to the large box as you snap the shot. It seems to work fully on the epl-1 and ep-2 and most likely the epl-2. But with the ep-2 is is only a 10x box vs 14x with the epl-1.

Another member had posted a video show the accuracy of the small box vs the big box on youtube epl-1. And the difference was clear as day.

13. DaBuffaloNish

Jan 16, 2011
    thanks the update worked with no problems. so 1.1 is the most up to date version? sorry for hijack

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    yup for the body

15. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Make sure your lens firmware is up to date also.

16. DaBuffaloNish

Jan 16, 2011
    Yes I did them too all were up to date except for my pancake lens which updated with no issues also.

17. specialkalways

specialkalways Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2010
    New York
    I have the 40-150mm and im using it with epl-1. and the focus seems to funny.. also when i go into aperture mode. The shutter speed seems to slow down and make the pic blurry instead of a unfocuse background. Do you have any idea of what i can do to make this better....

18. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    sorry I do not have the 40-150. If I were to guess, the lens might not be resetting, check the functions to make sure the lens reset itself. As the lens might be stop down and not AF'ing at the max aperture.

19. rp1384

rp1384 New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2012
    Very helpful AF tip. Thanks for sharing!

20. thedon

thedon Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    How do I check to see if my lens firmware is up to date?

I have an EPL1 with the first, original kit lens.

Thanks