Olympus PEN E-PL1 autofocus issue

chistreetstyle

New to Mu-43
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I use an Olympus PEN E-PL1 to shoot street style in Chicago. I love this camera except for one very big flaw - the autofocus sucks. it's actually quite atrocious.

Is there any way to fix this? I've read about a firmware update on the internet but I can't seem to find any information on it.

Thanks,

Amy

shoturtle

Have you set up the small focus box? With the small AF box the kit lens get faster. And with a msc lens it gets even faster. 40-150 makes a CAF camera AF allot faster.

chistreetstyle

New to Mu-43
@shoturtle

My firmware is what the camera came with. How would I go about updating it? I've never updated the firmware.

shoturtle

go to this site, and download the olympus software and install it. Make sure you have a fully charge battery. connect the camera to the computer and run the updater. And it will download and update the camera and lens if you have one that does not have the latest firmware.

Olympus Digital Camera Updater

DaBuffaloNish

Mu-43 Rookie
if you have multiple lens's and need them updated do you just repeat the process? I have an epl1 thats never been updated 1.0! and my lens's have never been updated either, they are all olympus brands

shoturtle

If you have multiple lenses, just repeat the process with the other lenses on the camera. It will just update the lens if it is not on the latest firmware.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is this applicable to the E-P1 - if so what and where is the "zoom" button referred to in the first step?
Yes and no. When you cycle through live view screens with the 'info' button, if the magnifying screen is in the cycle (it's a gear menu function), you can click 'ok' to enter magnified mode and set the default multiply factor. So if you leave that mode in 'x10' mode, the green square becomes visibly smaller afterwards. (I may not be extremely clear, but I can't really explain it any better).

The catch is a) I never noticed it really improved focusing speed b) and I never noticed it increased focusing accuracy either, to the contrary, focusing seems to happen on objects outside the smaller green box by a few pixels, if they are closer to the camera than what's in the green box.

Do your own tests to see what I mean.

Cheers,

shoturtle

On the ep-1 allot of user say after you pick the point with the small box but it goes back to the large box as you snap the shot. It seems to work fully on the epl-1 and ep-2 and most likely the epl-2. But with the ep-2 is is only a 10x box vs 14x with the epl-1.

Another member had posted a video show the accuracy of the small box vs the big box on youtube epl-1. And the difference was clear as day.

Is this applicable to the E-P1 - if so what and where is the "zoom" button referred to in the first step?

DaBuffaloNish

Mu-43 Rookie
thanks the update worked with no problems. so 1.1 is the most up to date version? sorry for hijack

specialkalways

Mu-43 Regular
I have the 40-150mm and im using it with epl-1. and the focus seems to funny.. also when i go into aperture mode. The shutter speed seems to slow down and make the pic blurry instead of a unfocuse background. Do you have any idea of what i can do to make this better....

Have you set up the small focus box? With the small AF box the kit lens get faster. And with a msc lens it gets even faster. 40-150 makes a CAF camera AF allot faster.

shoturtle

sorry I do not have the 40-150. If I were to guess, the lens might not be resetting, check the functions to make sure the lens reset itself. As the lens might be stop down and not AF'ing at the max aperture.

I have the 40-150mm and im using it with epl-1. and the focus seems to funny.. also when i go into aperture mode. The shutter speed seems to slow down and make the pic blurry instead of a unfocuse background. Do you have any idea of what i can do to make this better....

thedon

Mu-43 Rookie
How do I check to see if my lens firmware is up to date?

I have an EPL1 with the first, original kit lens.

Thanks

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom