Olympus PEN E-P3 and E-PL3 Coming June 3rd?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 21, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Digicame-info, the site which correctly predicted the announcement of the E-PL1s late last year, is citing a reader's claim that both the E-P3 and E-PL3 are both to be announced on June 3, 2011.

According to their source, both new cameras will be 12MP models with external EVFs. If so, it is unclear exactly what will different these models from their predecessors.

Meanwhile, a source whom I believe to be reliable is confirming that, as expected, the Panasonic GF model to be released in June will use the same 16MP sensor as the recently announced Panasonic G3. It's hard to believe that the Panasonic cameras will all feature the newer sensor while new Olympus cameras are introduced with the older one. Could it be a new 12MP sensor in the Olympus cameras?

More info as we get it!

Source: Digicame-info via Photo Rumors

Rumor Grade of Evidence: B-

A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

2. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    The Digicame-info rumour would be a bit of a let down.

3. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    A new technology 12 MP sensor would be more beneficial than 33% more pix. Sony or Samsung may well have back-wired sensors of 4/3 size ready, since they already produce smaller ones for P&S cameras. This would put 4/3 on par with APS-C cameras for noise, ISO and dynamics.

4. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I don't believe that there will be two new models. A new E-P3 is very probable, but a new E-PL3 which follows the E-PL2 only half a year is very unrealistic.

I really hope that it won't be the old 12MP sensor again, but let's be realistic. Where should a new 12MP sensor come from? One needs to buy (and sell) huge quantities of a sensor to get prices down. Olympus is much too small to use a new sensor alone and there are no other companies which could possibly use a new 12MP sensor. Thus I expect them to use either the old 12MP sensor again or the new 16MP sensor by Panasonic. If they use the old 12MP sensor again, I won't be interested in cameras by Olympus any more and will switch to Panasonic.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm not expecting big changes for the Olympus model(s) (eg integrated EVF), but a lack of sensor change would disappoint!