1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Patent Details 25mm F2.8 Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Phillip Swanson, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Phillip Swanson

Phillip Swanson News Writer

Jun 15, 2012
    Michigan
    panny25.

A recent patent, uncovered by Egami, details a new Olympus 25mm F2.8 macro pancake lens that appears to be collapsable as well, with the lens getting larger while using its macro function.

The 25mm focal length isn't a crowded space, with the Leica 25mm F1.4, and the Nokton Voigtlander 25mm F.0.95 the two prominent choices, but both lenses are superb and present tough competition for Olympus. The successof the Olympus 25mm f2.8 will ride on just how useful the macro function is, and what price point Olympus targets. Macro lenses aren't particularly cheap, and extension tubes like those from Kenko can help increase the magnification of your current m43 lenses without requiring a new dedicated macro lens and breaking the bank.

That said, dedicated Macro lenses are necessary for serious macro shooters. Still, I wish the lens in the patent above had a faster dedicated aperture, but the lens only exists in the patent world right now.

Source: Egami [via Digicame-info]

2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I was hoping for a sub F2 25mm lens from Olympus :(

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Macro lenses aren't usually all that fast, so I can forgive the f/2.8 aspect. But I must say that 25mm seems awfully short for a full 1:1 (or even 1:2) macro - the front element is at best a couple cm from the subject at MFD. A lot of these patents never actually make it into products though - perhaps this will be the same.

DH

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    This is equivalent to the FOV of the Pentax DA35/2.8 Macro Ltd lens. It was very nice for its close focus, but very difficult for 1:1 macro. That said, I thought I'd never sell this lens. Alas, it went with my entire Pentax kit when I bought my E-PM1 to check out m43. :eek:

I wonder if this means there will be no rumored 25/1.8 in the same class as the 45/1.8. I would like a fast, normal lens with msc that's light and small ... and with a lower price than the PL25/1.4! :smile:

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Agree that 25mm is awfully short for macro. In the 35mm world, macro lenses gradually changed from the 50mm range to 100mm, and even 200mm to get better working distance. The PL 45mm and Oly 60mm are much better FLs for macro.

And 2.8 is fine for a macro lens. You'll rarely see one any faster. DOF at close distances is so shallow you're usually stopping down to f16 or smaller to get adequate DOF.

6. aikidoka

aikidoka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Montreal
    I agree. I already have the 12-50mm with macro function, so I am not sure to get another lens with macro function.

7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    The macro function @43mm is really quite nice on the 12-50mm and can do almost 1:2. I really like the "new" kit lens overall and think it's a pretty good deal for $300 or so.

8. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    There was an earlier rumor of a 25mm f/1.8 just like the 45/1.8. I don't suppose the odds are that good that Olympus would do both? I'd rather have the f/1.8 prime over the f/2.8 macro at this focal length.

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

10. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I used the sony (not pancake) 30mm f3.5 1:1 macro lens and it was ok. To get actual 1:1 you pretty much had to have the lens touching the object. Tripod contortions...

So that lens is a 22.5mm m43 equivalent and I don't think that 2.5mm longer is going to make shooting macro any more enjoyable for the things I like to shoot macro.