Olympus/Panasonic making the Leica EVF??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, May 10, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Definitely reminiscent of the Olympus VF-2. :)
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Doesn't Pana already make a bunch of compacts for Leica?
  4. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    It's a little more than that. I've been observing their relationship for a while now and it seems to me that in most instances, Leica makes a design and Panasonic produces it at a scale that is affordable.

It's more than the Carl Zeiss-Sony relationship. Where CZ makes the designs and Sony does the manufacturing. Panasonic-Leica seems to share certain tech as well.
  5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    heh, I guess it'll take them awhile to get a 2nd version that has a hotshoe lock on it eh?:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes, but should cost at-least twice as much i would guess.
  7. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    should've been a red dot.... thats at least 3x the cost.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I don't think that Leica font is big enough. I couldn't tell what brand that camera is..
  9. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    In all likelihood, the EVFs are probably made for Leica, Panasonic and Olympus by the same subcontractor using similar components.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Leica X2 review

"I did an experiment with the EVF out of curiosity – the plug looked like any one of the existing EVF plugs. Expecting it to fit my D-Lux 5 Titanium, I was surprised when it didn’t; but it did fit my Olympus OM-D and Pen Mini. Even more interestingly, it worked! Draw whatever conclusion you wish; it’s a very nice EVF all the same, and my preferred way of working with the camera. Oh, and it tilts, too, and locks securely in the down position (something not all tiltable EVFs seem to manage.)"

This is too funny! +$500 for the exact same VF...Leica is out of their minds.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The Olympus viewfinder is made by Epson. The housing is shaped a little different than the VF2.
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've seen baseball caps with smaller font than that.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I totally want this for my PENs! If it works the same, locks down nicely, and advertises the Leica brand boldly on the front of the finder... that's worth the extra $500, I'd say. ;)
  14. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I find it interesting they went w/ oly given their relationship with panasonic.
  15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    If I remember correctly the evf for the X1 is interchangeable with the 1st generation Panasonic m4/3 evf.
  16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    So if leica's charging $500 for oly's vf-2, how much is Leica paying for them?
  17. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    X1 doesn't have a port to connect a EVF, you can only use an OVF with the X1
  18. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    You are thinking of the dlux5, the Panasonic LX5 clone.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Maybe the latest Panny EVF didn't meet Leica aesthetic standards (those standards apparently being writing your name in big font on the front with white-out).
  20. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Maybe they used some of their magical Leica clout to negotiate a better manufacturing cost markup to Olympus, but I can't imagine they're ordering in anywhere near the volume. I bet someone could provide a better estimate for the epson costs.