Olympus Outlet Sale 20%

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by gpburdell, Mar 8, 2017.

1. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I figured there was a sale coming, because the store was stockpiled with a bunch of nice lenses. I had my eyes on a black 12mm f/2. I got the email, logged on, only see the stock thoroughly depleted.

I must've gotten the email late this time...

3. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    Okay thats kinda weird. Store must be getting hammered; what was a wide array of stock is now barren and unresponsive. I've seen stock clear out quickly before but not this quickly on a number of the less desirable options

@ijm5012@ijm5012 sorry man, I snaked your 12/2 I think ... Had it bookmarked in my browser and ordered it as soon as I got the text.

Here's a direct link, see if it'll work: Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12mm f2.0 Premium Wide Prime Lens | Olympus

40-150 f/2.8 direct link: Olympus M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm f2.8 PRO Weatherproof Telephoto Zoom Lens | Olympus

12-40 f/2.8: Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO Weatherproof Wide Zoom Lens | Olympus

EM5.2 black: E-M5 Mark II Black Body (Reconditioned) | Olympus

Pen-F Silver: PEN-F Body Silver (Reconditioned) | Olympus

EM1.1 black: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Weatherproof Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera | Olympus

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @gpburdell@gpburdell , no worries I ended up getting one.

That was definitely weird. I had to sit there and keep refreshing the page, and items would slowly start to appear again. Had to do it about 10 times before a black 12/2 appeared, but once it did I threw it in the cart and check out. Just got my order confirmation email from Olympus, so I should have the lens on Friday.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    Glad to hear that @ijm5012@ijm5012

I'm seeing a bunch of stuff reappearing. I'm guessing the site got hammered and the default for non-response was to not display the item. As the onslaught lightens up it's better able to respond.

6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, the site was definitely slow to respond, as it always it. Fortunately I was able to get the lens I wanted, because you don't see too many black 12's on the second-hand market.

I owned the lens years ago, back when it was a "Limited Edition" only lens, but ended up selling it and getting a 12-35 f/2.8 instead. Fast forward a couple years, and this was the last lens I was looking for to build a small kit to take with me to motorsport events where I can document the crew and things that go on behind the scenes while helping out. The rest of the kit is an E-M5 II, 20/1.7 II, 42.5/1.7, and 75/1.8.

This will also be a nice lens to throw on a body to shoot some wide-angle timelapse with as well. I don't think it justifies it's new price, but at $400 I consider it a good buy.

7. Zyis

Zyis New to Mu-43

Jan 12, 2017
    I'm still deciding on which prime to get. 17mm or 25mm. I think Olympus does a 25% too right? Would it be better for me to hold out for that as I learn more ? I currently have the 12-40 and want something faster as a back up.

8. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    Yep, same here, I've had it on my radar for a while. It's either not available when a sale hits, or I'm too late to the game to get one.

I have the big f/2.8 zooms for my EM5.2 but enjoy playing with primes on my Pen F and IR converted EPM2. Still need to decide on a good 25mm solution; the last outlet unit I got was garbage.

9. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    @Zyis@Zyis I've never seen 25%. Maybe it's happened and I missed it. 20% sales are fairly common. What's not common is good lenses being available when one of these pops up. Always seems what I'd like to have isn't available.

I'd suggest you buy what you are considering and return what you don't want to keep. Know that Olympus can drag their feet on refunds, but I've always gotten it back on my credit card. Probably because I'd dispute the charge if they didn't. :)

10. qpalzm

qpalzm Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Picked up the 7-14mm f/2.8 with this sale. Quite excited to play with my first UWA lens or any wide angle lens for that matter!

11. bruinhoo

bruinhoo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    California
    I have only seen the 25% off come up once - I wouldn't bother waiting around for the chance that several months from now you might get an extra 5% off - for those primes, it is only a matter of saving $10-15. Better to buy now and get the extra use out of them.

Went ahead and got a black 25mm. Been thinking of getting one for the last few weeks to compare with my 20mm Panny. Between that and the new E-M10ii v. E-M5, I have a bit of gear comparing and clearing out on the horizon.

12. Zyis

Zyis New to Mu-43

Jan 12, 2017
    Oh man.. you all are so encouraging! Trying to prevent that GAS I have heard so much about since I've only had my camera for the 1-2 months.

13. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    Well just keep talking about it here and the problem will solve itself until the next sale. Typically the good stuff sells out quickly. ;)

14. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The 12mm is gone (glad I grabbed one), but they still have 12-40's & 40-150's, which is pretty rare as the PRO lenses tend to go really quickly.

15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Just a heads up to anyone new to these Olympus refurbished sales: If you see something you want, order it. Don't come back here asking if it's a good deal or not. Chances are, by the time you go back to Oly's site, it'll be gone.

Olympus doesn't withhold its more-desirable items from the sale. It's just that most items have limited supplies. And they warn you of that fact. And, yes, Oly once did a 25 percent off sale. I've also seen 15 percent a couple of times. But the vast majority are 20 percent. I wouldn't wait for 25 percent again. Sure, it's possible. But the item you want probably won't be in stock at the same time.

Me? I don't really need much Oly gear right now. I thought about the E-M5 II. But I have the original, an E-M1 and Pen F. I'd just assume wait for the 20mp sensor in an OM-D body. So I picked up a TG-870 just for fun. $179.

16. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    FYI, the only other times I've used the refurb store, both sales have been 25% off.

On 3/21/16, Olympus had their springs sale (ironically, it was the same code as this one, SPRING), and it was 25% off. I purchased an E-M1.

On 11/27/16, Olympus had their Cyber Monday sale, and it was 25% off. I purchased an E-M5 II

So 25% off sales do happen, but unless you're planning on buying an expensive lens (like one of the PRO ones) or a body, you're better off just jumping on a sale when it happens, as there's no guarantee that they'll have your item available (although if it's a lens like the 25/1.8 or 45/1.8, they tend to always have those during sale time).

17. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    Very good points. The time to know what you want is BEFORE a sale pops up. Also helps to already have an account set up so you can get through checkout quickly.

Also remember that refurbished stuff comes with a 90 day warranty not a one-year that new equipment carries. You can get a discounted Olympus extended warranty at B&H photo: Olympus OM-D Camera Body 2-Year Extended Limited Warranty 260607

Factor that cost into your valuation as well.

BTW - the TG4 is a great pool/beach/snorkeling camera for the price. It's either the only or one of the few of the style that support RAW format. I've been very happy with mine.

18. ArnoldJ

ArnoldJ New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2017
    G85 or EM1...G85 or EM1... Ah what the heck, at that price another Oly joins the family. :dance3:

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm so excited that I succeeded in fighting back the GAS. I had a Pen-F in my cart, and then I added 12-40 Pro. Then I applied the discount, and then I closed my browser window. I saved around $1,300.....maybe I'll go myself a little present to celebrate ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    I'm eating chocolate since I didn't order anything o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2