Olympus or Panasonic

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Nikstar65, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Nikstar65

Nikstar65 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Hi there
    I have the Olympus EM5 which I've had for 3 years - I have 4 Olympus lenses and 2 Panasonic. I was given a gift voucher of $1480 to spend at a camera shop. Now my question is, do I upgrade and get the new Silver EM1 which has the same sensor as the EM5 and added features, but looks like a DSLR. I still think it looks ugly. Or, do I wait to see what Olympus do next. Or because I have 2 Panasonic lenses would it be worth looking at a Panasonic camera like the GH7?
    It's a lot of money to get the silver EM1 with the same image quality of the EM5. If you had the money and the same lenses I do, what would you do?
  2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    The sensor in the E-M1 is not at all the same as the one in the E-M5. Their image quality isn't quite the same either. I prefer the look I get from files from the E-M1 over the E-M5.

Some people prefer one over the other.

If you don't feel like you need to upgrade, it might be better to just wait.
    Or take a look at the Panasonics and see if any of them interest you. Maybe something just "different" will inspire you.
    Alternatively, you could look at lenses. Maybe a new lens will inspire you. Lenses usually outlast camera bodies these days anyway.
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If you don't have a deadline to spend the money, just sit on it unless there's something extremely compelling to you on the E-M1.

Or buy a 40-150/2.8 :)
    • Like Like x 3
  4. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    I'd sit on it if there is no deadline as the replacement for the E-M5 is coming next year. I'd wait to see what new feature it has even over the E-M1.
  5. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    eh just wait..............
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would wait.. $1.5k is a good chunk of monees, so I would spend it on 2 or 3 steps upgrades.
    Or.. use it for lens - 40-150/2.8 looks as good choice if it suites your shooting.
  7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you shoot primes a lot then a second body can be a great asset, if your style is more one cam based and you don't want to get any more lenses then sit on it unless its time limited. Another option if it can be used in stages is to get a hard drive to keep outside your home if you don't have one.
  8. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I just wish I had your 'problem'. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Personally I would go for the 40-150/2.8 PRO lens … or wait for the new E-M5.

10. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    I have both the GX7 and E-M1 and I'm actually seriously considering getting rid of the GX7. It's a great little camera. Very lightweight, inconspicuous and the UI is really very clean and easy to use. The problem is I just use my E-M1 more. The autofocus is faster, the frame rate is considerably higher, and the IQ is better IMO for what I shoot. The GX7 is no slouch and has very good IQ for some things but I find its studio use to be lacking. Something about how the sensor responds to strobes I think but I can't tell you exactly what that is. All I know is I've had more complaints from people about images taken with the GX7 than I have ever had with my Canon gear or the new Oly.

I'm thinking I'll sell the GX7 and some other Canon lenses I have and get the new 40-150/2.8 PRO. I have the PL 25/1.4 and the Oly 75/1.8 which are my most-used go-to lenses.

It's either that or possibly go FF with whatever the new Sony 46/50mp FF that will be released next year. I haven't decided. :) I do also shoot 6x7 film so I might not really need the FF kit but an A7s or a high mp mirrorless might (might!) help me since I find myself printing larger and larger (16x20, 24x36, etc...). I haven't had a problem yet with E-M1 files but I do have to up-rez them a little to suit the sizes I usually use. I'd rather have more megapixels so I don't have to worry about that. The quality isn't degraded noticeably so it's not really been a problem but I'm thinking FF for this stuff could be very good. But I'm NOT going the Canon route no matter what. I'm mirrorless all the way now.

Well, except for my RB67, which has a mirror. So I guess I'm not totally mirrorless! :)
  11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound

What were the complaints?

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Like my friend (who got me into the M43 system) like to tell me... "Sell everything take that extra money and buy a Leica M 240 and one Leitz Lens..." :biggrin:
    (This from a guy who sold it all and got the Leica M240 and 3 Leitz lenses)

I kept the E-M5 and got the E-M1 plus the 12-40 f2.8 and pre ordered the 40-150 f2.8 to go with the rest of the native and adapted glass and to keep the E-P5 and RD-1 company :biggrin:..... Maybe I should sell everything and get the Leica LOL!
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Um, which lenses do you have exactly? They're not listed on your profile. Perhaps you could consolidate your lens line up, fill in a gap (I guess unlikely given you already have 6), or replace with better quality/more compact versions, etc. Given what's currently out there body-wise I'm not sure I'd want to upgrade (I too own an E-M5). Unless, of course, you want to do video. If that's the case, get a late generation Panasonic.
  14. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Sorry for not getting back right away. I've been in Sweden and Denmark for a solid week.

I've had people complaining they don't like the colors of skin tones and other anomalies around color reproduction in studio settings with speedlights and monolights. I've not noticed problems in other situations but the GX7 doesn't really give me what I'm looking for when shooting portraits in controlled environments.
    • Like Like x 1