Olympus optical viewfinder

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wolf, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Ok, i'm a bit confused now
    i'm looking to get an epl3 or ep3 and apparantly olympus has optical viewfinders ?? Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't vf1 , 2 and 3 electronic viewfinders ?

Olympus E-PL3: Build and Design
    there are optional optical viewfinders as well as electronic viewfinders for the E-PL3, but using either an OVF or EVF means you cannot connect a flash to the camera.

several other websites also speak about optical vf's

Hope you guys can help (i do prefer optical vf) :thumbup:
  2. GameOfDrones

GameOfDrones New to Mu-43

Aug 21, 2012
    From what I understand the vf1 is an optical vf for the 17mm pancake while the vf2 and vf3 are the electronic one.

I could be completely wrong though :p
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    VF-1 is an optical viewfinder for the 17mm lens, although it is a perfect viewfinder for the 20mm.
  4. Gilgar

Gilgar Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2011
    Gloucestershire, UK
    The Vf1 is a really simple optical viewfinder designed to match the field of view of the m zuiko 17mm. It actually matches the panasonic 20mm as well, presumably more by accident than design, as when you use it you see a guideline frame slightly in from the edge of the visible frame, if you see what I mean. This frame seems (to me, at least!) to match the view of the 20mm while the whole visible frame matches the 17mm.

That's all there is to the vf1 really - obviously there is no information displayed in it, it does not zoom or match other lenses etc. - it really is just a simple optical viewfiner for the hotshoe.

The vf2 and vf3 are both EVF that also mount on the hotshoe but also connect with the camera via the accessory port, so they show the screen information in the finder and match the lens being used. Vf2 has been around slightly longer, and (I think) has a higher resolution and larger view.

Hope this helps!
  5. Gilgar

Gilgar Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2011
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Was typing while Hikari posted...
  6. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    ah ok thx :)

it's really not worth it then imo :rolleyes:
  7. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I used to think the same, but really love the nice, bright view of a optical viewfinder (especially with a bigger view, like the VF-1). Combined with center point focus they work great.
  8. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I'd agree with that - but I'd look to get one 2nd hand if you want to give one a go as the VF-1 is very expensive new for what it is.
  9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm actually thinking of getting an optical viewfinder for my E-M5 for when I'm doing birds in flight.

But I'll probably get a third party one that isn't as wide; I'm hoping to find a multi-turet one with different focal lengths.