1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OMG EM5 MKII Video Help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ISREALITY, Apr 28, 2015.

1. ISREALITY

ISREALITY New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2015
    isreal rathburn
    I'm a part time college videographer and i've been working with a t3i for my entire career, i've heard so much good things about the em5 mk2 and i also needed better stills capability so i jumped the gun and invested in it. Now i'm slightly regretting my decision, and i might just sell this for a GH4, unless someone can help me.

First off, the lack of an exposure meter while in M mode in the film function, does anyone know a way to get a meter on the live view? it's there for everything else but M.

And color reproduction, while in film mode the color reproduction is odd, white balance is set up fine, but what's the best picture mode for film? grading the footage produced by this camera is so hard.

if you have any video experience with this camera please help.

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    This guy has some experience with it. link And it looks like he answers questions, so maybe put yours to him on his blog post. He also explains how to change the exposure when in manual video mode. Some people (including camera reviewers) wrongly say it can't be done.

3. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    I'm feeling my way through it too. It's obvious Olympus is struggling to make this camera work as a video shooter, but aside from a lot of shortcomings on the ergonomics, it's still a viable tool.

Manual focusing is a PITA. I'm still trying to figure out a viable solution for that.

Anyway, I've been shooting Natural and turning down the contrast, sharpness, and color to -2. And, to my eye, it looks like AUTO under the gradation setting balances the blacks and whites the best.

You can also flatten the image even more by playing with the "Highlight and Shadow" controls if you want to get more extreme and do heavier color grading in post. I haven't messed with that much yet.

In addition to that, you have to make sure the "keep warm color" function of the white balance is off. It wreaks havoc under indoor lighting.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The concerns are mainly being raised by video shooters who like to do a lot of PP -- the default settings don't seem to hold up under PP.

I'm still a beginner with video, so I'm happy with the SOOC video quality.

Working pro photographer and blogger Kirk Tuck has progressed from having a dismayed rant at first, to being quite satisfied that it can serve a purpose for him. Check out his latest thoughts -- link. To wit, "...using the muted color profile, leaving the saturation and contrast sub controls zero'ed and then bringing down the sharpening to its minimum level. ...I have tried to be very careful not to under or over expose. The final step is to go to the custom curves setting and flatten out the profile just a little bit more; raising the dark part of the curve and lowering the higher tones. When used this way the camera delivers a flat file that can be messed with in post processing to bring back the contrast and saturation".

Amen brother. And I'm talking stills too! I cannot understand why this is set to ON by default.

5. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Yeah, I'm fine with the IQ. Just trying to get all the functions of the camera in line for what I want to do is a pain the butt.

And the camera out of the box isn't ready for shooting, really. You can do it, but it needs additional help to make it work well.