Olympus omd

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by usmc111111, Oct 3, 2012.

1. usmc111111

usmc111111 New to Mu-43

Oct 2, 2012
    Hello i am fairly new to photography and just purchased the new Olympus mft, i was considering buying the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this would be a good book to start with or should i be reading something else?
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I picked up that book when I was first starting out with photography and m4/3 and like it quite a bit. I also picked up the field guide as a travel book.

By the way, welcome to the forum and semper fi!
  3. usmc111111

usmc111111 New to Mu-43

Oct 2, 2012
    Thanks for the quick response, which field guide do you mean? I think I'm going to get that book today and try and power through it for this weekend,i have a trip planned for this weekend
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its a good book that's been around for a long time. Often recommended. Its a good read but somewhat limited (or shall I say focused) on exposure. Exposure is just one aspect and IMO the most boring aspect of photography. Given its technical nature it is also a topic that most students first struggle to understand. With that said, its a good start but I don't necessarily subscribe to many people's notion that its a must read.

Many prefer a more general photography book that covers many aspects and types of photography... talking its way through situations to frame a thought process. Pay special attention to ideas around composition. The technology packed cameras of today can help with exposure but composition has always resided completely in the eye of the photographer. There are no rules... just rules of thumb and recommendations. Pick one particular aspect of photography (even type of photography) that speaks to you and focus on perfecting that.

Then simply recommend to go out and shoot ... have fun.. .make mistakes and learn from them. I don't mean simply taking the camera along when the family goes out but really go out and focus on shooting. Walk around the neighborhood, slow down, look around and create photos. Find your own way through experimentation and feedback. Join local clubs and participate.

Digital has made the process ever so more interesting.... as you can experiment very easily.

Personally, the most interesting aspects I latched on was composition and the notion of the decisive moment...

As for a general photography book, I have one in mind... but I can't seem to recall the authors. I can "see" the beat up book on my shelf with its big title called "Shoot!". (and not the Shoot: Photography of the moment that keeps popping up on Amazon searches). I will have to get back to you.
    • Like Like x 1