Olympus OMD -EM6- What to expect and when to expect ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ..
    I know , most of us are very happy with our OMDs but there are few small small irritating quirks which need obvious attention from Oly engineers. I was wondering when and what we should expect from next Oly offering OMD EM6?When we should expect Olympus to release next King of MFT world ?Share your views please
  2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'm hoping for a Champagne-colored body to match the 12mm/2, 17mm/1.8 and 75mm/1.8. Gotta be easier than making black or silver lenses to match the other bodies.
  3. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    I'm betting on an E-P5 announcement rather than a new OM-D announcement. Olympus can ride the E-M5 for a little longer.

Interesting though, the E-PL5 pips the E-M5 in the iso stakes. 826 vs 889.

the E-PM2 stretches that out to ISO929.

What's the bet the next E-P5/M6 nudges over ISO1000?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. chrisnewhall

chrisnewhall New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2013
    I don't have many gripes regarding the E-M5. The Fn1 and Playback button could be a little easier to press, and they could try to make the weather-sealing on some of the buttons, especially the directional ones, a little less squishy feeling and give the buttons a little more definite of a click.

It wouldn't hurt if they fixed the bezel issue too :). Mine is cracked, but I don't care, the Olympus rep assured me it wouldn't affect the weather-sealing or hurt the structural integrity in any way, but he still told me I should send it in.

Oh, back to function buttons really quick, they could make it so both of them could do all of the same things (and more). I guess that could be fixed in a firmware update on the E-M5 also.
  5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Not to mention allowing all four directional buttons to actually be assigned.
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Who knows, and who knows!
  7. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    I think it will be called the E-M5'S

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  8. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Don't have a clue when or what, but I will say it will have to be massively upgraded for me to even give it a second glance.

That or make me look so damned virile and robust that to not upgrade would make the women cry, the clouds pour down rain, and the heavens to weep. :rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    What I think is Olympus is giving out mixed signals on their future developments, and, to be brutally honest, I believe they haven't decided themselves how to handle their medium term roadmap:

Olympus displays the (covered) Olympus E-P3 successor! | 43 Rumors

Here there's talk about a a high end Pen, a new OM-D AND a new "E-series" camera.... What??

Since I sincerely can't believe they are THAT stupid, to ressurect the Four Thirds system with a new camera, this is what I believe this will pan out:

1) A new Pen at the same level as the current EM-5, but with Pen's format and a number of improvements; e.g. new Epson integrated EVF, firmware upgrades, possibly slightly improved (but the same basic type) sensor and image processor.

2) An OM-D follow up which will be an incremental update to the existing E-M5, possibly featuring a new sensor, EVF, etc, but at the same semi-pro category.

3) The "E-series" camera will probably be a new mirrorless :43: camera utilizing some type of adapter for FT lenses, certainly new sensor and other improvements, larger, full weather sealing, etc. This will be a natural replacement for the E-5.

If it goes like this, it seems that the Pen and OM-D lines will remain as enthusiast/semi-pro line of cameras, and the E-series branding will continue as pro offerings (but, actually, being OM-D in E clothing).
    • Like Like x 1
  10. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have no idea, but I hope it will have lots of improvements and come out around May - so that people buy it and I can pick up a used EM5 for a good price :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think that releasing a direct replacement for the E-M5 would be a wasted exercise if it happened anytime soon.
  12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012

It seems that the E-M5 will somehow follow the marketing pattern of succesful DSLR "high-prosumer" or "semi-pro" cameras. I mean something like the 7D or D7000 or A77 which haven't been updated yet after quite a long time on the market. Plus, they still sell for new and haven't lost a lot of their value in the used market.

I'd say 1,5 year (actual items shipping, not just announced) is the absolute minimum on that pattern, so end of 2013 is the most logical shipping date for a E-M5 follow up.

In a parallel train of thought, this puts Panasonic in a serious disadvantage with the GH3. They have just started moving them in somewhat significant numbers, and the question is this: if Olympus announces new, seriously updated cameras by late summer (to be available 3-4 months later), can Panasonic hold on the momentum of GH3 sales?
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    That was my thinking. I don't know which camera currently holds the record for the shortest Micro 4/3 product cycle, but the E-M5 is the last camera that I would nominate to break it (being less than one year old, currently).
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I personally doubt the EM-5 will be replaced/updated before the end of 2013 as well but it is past time for an EP-5 release so that's where I'm putting my virtual betting money :)
  15. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Virtually every other maker does a DSLR range and a Mirrorless range so would it be commercially viable for Olympus to ignore the market norm? I think not - bring on the Ex/xxx!

16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    IMHO, it would be commercial suicide for Olympus to re-enter the mainstream DSLR market with a new Four Thirds camera.

As I've said in the past, I feel terribly sorry for the, reallistically tiny overall, percentage of people having invested heavily in Four Thirds, but it makes no sense whatsoever trying to revive a dead system. A camera with hybrid high speed AF for FT lenses (already rumored) will be perfect for users with an investment in FT glass and will extend their value for a number of years to come.
  17. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    I am waiting for the price drop or secondhand market price hits $ 500 to get a OMD5
    its been such a long wait. ( meanwhile I been improving my photography )
  18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't see a point to an E-M5 replacement until sensor tech develops further and gives me at least this level of per pixel performance (ISO, dynamic range, and so on) for a significantly larger sensor (24MP plus), or just better per pixel performance with a modest megapixel increase. Same reason I didn't feel upgrading the Canon 5D mark II to a mark III was worth it; the quality jump isn't enough to warrant the cash outlay for me. I'd rather spend it on glass.

The only 'niggles' I have with the E-M5 design are almost exclusively things that could be addressed with firmware (i.e. my set implementation/custom modes for bracketed shooting that don't involve menu diving), and the only thing I'd like is unlikely to happen (scrap the ART modes from the mode dial, as they're filters and not shooting modes, and replace with custom settings)
  19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Good luck with that. I predict it will be more than a year before that happens...
  20. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012