Olympus omd em5 with non dedicated flash

Daveincornwall

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Dave
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have had my em5 for 2 years and hardly ever use flash but did want to be able to use my old, non- digital flash units if required..
However, no amount of experimenting, or reading, has shown me how to set the hot shoe to fire a standard gun.
The manual says to use Manual at 1/60 so Olympus must recognise that the hot shoe should operate a non dedicated flash. All 3 of my guns will work fine on the hot shoe of my Nikon camera so I know they work correctly.
I already know how to use the built in flash to trigger slave units. I just wonder if I am missing something obvious or my hot shoe is u/s.

I would like to hear from anybody who has successfully used the hot shoe to operate a non dedicated flash with the omd em5 and if so, what menu settings to try

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
Put the flash on the hot shoe, take a picture.

That's it, as long as the camera is set to anything other than "do not fire" the flash will fire.

The big question is you mentioning non digital flash units, are they thyristor controlled? if the trigger voltage is higher than 5v you may just fry your camera...

Daveincornwall

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried that. The flash does not fire and the camera will still use it's own flash unit afterwards so I am concluding that the camera has not been damaged by trying the non dedicated flash
One is a viviparous, the other a Metz and they
both work with my digital Nikon and that hasn't been affected in any way
I remain puzzled

Latest threads

Top Bottom