1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OMD-EM5 UK Amazon date slips!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sandtide, Apr 2, 2012.

1. sandtide

sandtide New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2012
    All,
    I'm a UK member and have been eagerly awaiting my new OMD. Pre ordered in early March at Amazon as soon as it went on their site they originally confirmed an anticipated delivery date of first week in April so was gutted when I got this- "We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are
    still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

"Olympus OM-D EM-5 Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Camera - Silver
    (16.1MP, Live MOS, M.Zuiko 12-50mm Lens) 3.0 inch OLED"
    Estimated arrival date: May 10 2012 - June 08 2012"
    I just hope that because the stock hasn't arrived with them that the system has had a bit of a "melt down" and not that these dates are based on an anticipated delivery from Olympus! Being in the UK we seem to pay a premium but to offset that we can claim a free grip BUT not if it comes to me this late...potentially double gutted. I've registered for a pre order with Olympus sales and just hope that over the next few days as stock is recieved the dates will correct themselves at Amazon? Well has anyone got similar stories or thoughts?
    :mad:

2. sandtide

sandtide New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2012
    On a more positive note I won an Old OM2 film camera and lenses at the weekend so at least I've got that to look forward to for the Easter holidays!

3. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    The proof of purchase has to be in by end of May so hopefully our free grips will still be safe. As long as you register your claim before end of April all should be well.
    Fingers crossed.
    M

4. sandtide

sandtide New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2012
    Just had an update from amazon now quoting 23 April due to Olympus so that's a bit more definite. Let's hope it improves again?

5. ThatOne

ThatOne New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2012
    Yes

That corresponds with my retailer's forecast. I have heard that Olympus are a little bit caught out by demand...

6. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    "I have heard that Olympus are a little bit caught out by demand..."

Hm. They hyped the thing for months, they know they always are short/ late with stock - I hate this approach they have of dangling dates and then haven't actually got the manufacture and distribution up to speed. It's very disrespectful of the customeres really.

7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    I wonder if Olympus UK will be extending their free grip offer to take account of delayed delivery? Currently, you have to purchase your E-M5 by April 30 2012 and submit your claim in the mail by May 31 2012 to receive your free grip. If there is no free grip with my E-M5 because of Olympus' inability to supply by April 30 I will probably have to consider cancelling my order.

The very high cost of the E-M5 is already difficult for me to justify. I intended to sell the 12-50mm kit lens, the leather 'ever-ready' case (special offer at a dealer event) and the grip - all unused - plus my used Panasonic G3 body to cover most of the cost of the E-M5. The financial aspect would look much worse if I had no grip to sell, and it is not as though the E-M5 would be offering me any improvement in image quality over my G3. So come on Olympus, hurry up!

8. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am amazed at this quote "The very high cost of the E-M5"
    Colin, I have had this camera in my hands and examined with great care and I think that compared to all the other cameras including all the Oly E series that this is a very good value for the technology that it has. It is well balanced and the size is right. Having said all that....I would have bought it in a heartbeat had it not been heavier than what I have at the moment which is the Pen 3+EVF.

9. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    If I might just correct you; you have to have pre-ordered by April 30th and submit your claim, by post, e-mail or telephone by 31st May. Therefore you have until 31st May to make your claim. The latest shipping date from Amazon UK is April 23rd.

If you haven't pre-registered your purchase with Olympus UK I'd do it now, so that in the event of late shipping, they know you have ordered an EM-5

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I registered for my free grip here...........

https://www.olympusomd.sales-promotions.com/customer-apply-for-promotion/?country_promotion=2&lng=en

Yesterday I received an official email from olympus@sales-promotions.com thanking me for my application for a grip and issuing me with a customer name and password to access the 'Customer Online Tracking System' and a phone number for any queries.

It looks all very official, I was most impressed.

When, when, I recieve the camera I have to send them electronically my receipt and serial number to the COTS.

No dates are mentioned on the email.

My suggestion is........get registering quick.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    Nice Tip Dave thanks, hopefully that acts as a placeholder & we'll get grips in the first batch of despatches.

All I need is a E-M5 to bolt it onto I guess.

12. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    Thanks to Glenn S and Dave for giving me the essential information that neither Olympus nor the Olympus dealer saw fit to. All I got from them was a receipt for my deposit. :rolleyes:

Bill, I have to say that I am amazed at your response. Here's why:

At the store I am buying from, the Olympus E-M5 body costs GBP 1149. At the same store, a new Panasonic G3 body costs GBP 369.

So the E-M5 body costs more than three times as much as the Panasonic G3 body which offers near-identical image quality.

That seems to me a cast iron definition of "the very high cost of the E-M5". To be honest, the more I think about it, the more difficult it gets for me to justify this expensive purchase when my eight month old G3 is such a great performer.

It is time to cancel my pre-order. Thanks for helping me decide.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    The longer the delay, the more I'm thinking about cancelling my order, I've also preordered with Amazon. I love so much about this camera but even at £1k it seems expensive!

14. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Were we ruled by our head and not our blinkered heart, we'd look at it like this......

E-M5 (£1149) = Panny 100-300 + 25 Leica DG + £300 in change.

Both those lenses are on my shopping list and would go nicely with my GH2.

It makes one think.

15. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Yes, it is very expensive indeed at over three times the price of a Panasonic G3.

I think the situation is very different if you currently own an Olympus body with the same old 12 MP sensor that is now looking very dated. Olympus owners trading up to the E-M5 will find the 16 MP sensor very impressive with a useful improvement in resolution plus much lower noise at high ISOs.

But if you already own a Panasonic G3, GX1 or GH2, you already have those, so the case for buying an E-M5 is much less clear.

I'm not dissing the E-M5. It is an exceptionally good camera and a thing of beauty. But I am dissing the price, because it is very difficult to find the justification for paying three times the price of a Panasonic G3 for a camera that offers no significant improvement in image quality.

I will probably buy a used E-M5 when the hype has evaporated and new prices have dropped to a more sensible level.

16. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    why though? If you say it offers no significant improvements in IQ, then why buy it at all if you have the G3? Regardless of price point.

I'm curious. Thanks.

17. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Because it is a thing of beauty, is beautifully finished, handles better than my G3 and has 5-axis IBIS. Plus the clincher is that it reminds me so much of my favourite Olympus OM-1 which I bought in 1974.

You're welcome. :wink:

18. sandtide

sandtide New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2012
    Further update from amazon- Olympus have delayed the launch of the silver model until may25th!!!! Gutted!