1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OMD EM5 Memory Card Test

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, Apr 27, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  2. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I have the Top card you listed (95/85), my G3 seems to be a little faster, but, I think the E-M5 can handle the UHS-1 class better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Before even dealing with memory card matters, I think us E-M5 owners need to deal with image quality issues. Like figuring out how to get the $1000 E-M5 body to produce occ jpegs that look as good as those from the $150 E-PL1 body.

Example: in the picture below, even though the E-M5 photo was slightly overexposed, it's shadows are deeper (and thus less appealing) than the E-PL1 photo. Why is that? Both cameras are set to Natural Picture mode, default (0) contrast settings, AWB, 1024x768 fine jpeg, both with their factory original 14-42 kit lens's etc.
    em5vspl1.

4. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Good stuff bro.... Happy I use the 16BG Extreme Pro!

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Wouldn't a touch of Exposer comp fix that?

6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Interesting question...why not start a thread on this topic? :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    No, because the E-M5's photo is already overexposed and yet the shadows are too dark. The shadows are less deep in the E-PL1 photo even though the photo is not overexposed.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get the $1000 E-M5 to produce a jpeg that at least matches the color and dynamic range of the $150 E-PL1 ! Next, I'll try decreasing the contrast of the E-M5 to see if that helps.

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Good point...I just thought that more experienced folks like yourself might have a quick and easy solution so that I wouldn't have to bother with a new thread.

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Guilio, it's not clear to me what the shooting conditions are. Are you shooting a burst?

• Like Like x 1
  10. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Sorry to get off topic G, but hey M4/3..I'll be more than happy to take that E-M5 off your hands if your not happy with it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Thanks for this. Right now I have the Sandisk extreme 45mb/s, which will have to do until I recover from buying the E-M5, and the PL25mm. Then I'll upgrade. I only use class 10 cards now but haven't yet used one of the UHS-1.

12. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    E-M5 has less detail all around,especially in the clouds.Worrisome.

13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    That's due to the 14-42 kit lens of the E-M5 being less sharp than the kit lens of the E-PL1. But when I put the kit lens of the E-PL1 on the E-M5 sharpness improves and virtually equals the E-PL1. So the main issues I have with the E-M5 are figuring out how to reduce its overly contrasty jpeg images (even in iAuto mode) and overly warmish colors (which iAuto mode mostly fixes so their must be a way to fix it in other modes like A and P (and yes I have set Warm Colors to OFF).

I would not give up the E-M5 for anything - the video output is jaw droppingly good. And the image stabilization is so good I can shoot steady hand held video at the 150 mm end of the 40-150 telephoto zoom lens.

14. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Easy, shoot raw. Don't spend all sorts of money on a camera and accessories only to blow it on jpeg. If you spend a few hours learning how to process and get a workflow down you'll be able to get the most from your kit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Sorry. I'm shooting until the buffer is filled.

16. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I have the eye-fi card too. Does this affect the blackout time between each shots? Do you find the the blackout a bit long between a single shot? Especially on the EVF. The blackout for continuous shots are much shorter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I never had any issue with blackout on the Eye Fi card. I have (with the Pen) had the camera lock up sometimes when the signal to the computer gets dropped but that's the janky software on the computer not the card in my experience.

18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Default setting don't necessarily yield the same result from camera to camera, even in the same company, certainly not when the sensor is different. Changing the contrast to minus 1 or 2 might do it. But even better, for my money, is using the curve adjustment that is available to you on the E-M5. It would be a cinch to open up those shadows with it. If you haven't played with the curve adjustments, find it and do so; it's a wonderful tool. Last night a snapped a shot of my roommate reading in a dim room beside a bright table lamp -- a difficult take most of the time, but easy to contol with the curve adjustment.

19. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    But Olympus kick butt OOC right?

20. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Is auto-gradation turned on in the E-PL1?

Edit: we should probably move the JPEG comparo to another thread... sorry Guilio!