1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus OMD EM5 Mark ii 'corrosion'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Conrad Saya Reina, Dec 6, 2018 at 6:21 AM.

1. Conrad Saya Reina

Conrad Saya Reina New to Mu-43

Thursday
    What do you think?
    I bought my Olympus OMD EM5 Mark ii three years ago. After 8 months it failed to turn on a few times, so I brought it in to Olympus Plaza, the Olympus repair centre for Tokyo. They said that they couldn't locate a problem because it turned on consistently when they tried it (of course, just like when you visit the doctor and it doesn't hurt anymore). Recently the problem returned, but this time it failed to turn on consistently. I brought it in and a week later was given a 12,000 yen repair bill. I argued that since the problem occured within a year, they should repair it for free, but they said that corrosion had caused the problem. They couldn't provide me with photographs or the corroded parts, though. We talked about it for an hour, but to no avail. Japan is humid in the summer, but I doubt a camera would suffer from corrosion after just three years. I believe the problem was a fault in manufacture. Any thoughts?

2. I don't know how a fault in manufacture causes corrosion...

3. Acraftman

Acraftman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Yes its sad when they do that and they're fully aware it IS a manufacturing issue but try and evade it,I have the same issue with mine and just on this web site alone several others have posted similar comments.

4. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    I think the original EM5 had a few issues with corrosion where the battery pins tie into the board. Apparently the battery compartment allows vapor into the body. Modern lead free solder is much more affected by corrosion than the old lead stuff. That would be my guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Conrad Saya Reina

Thursday
    What I meant is that there was some defect in the camera from the beginning. That's why it manifested itself after only 8 months. The problem came to a head after 3 years.

6. Conrad Saya Reina

Thursday
    I wonder if there was corrosion. They didn't show me any photographs or the corroded parts. Just to be on the safe side, I purchased a dehumidifying cabinet.

7. Conrad Saya Reina

Thursday
    And it is supposed to be weatherproof.

8. Conrad Saya Reina

Thursday
    Good observation!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Conrad Saya Reina

Thursday
    I visited the Olympus Museum at their headquarters, fascinating place, and one of the camera engineers told me that they used to wash their cameras in the sink after a day at the beach.

• Wow Wow x 1
  10. DennyVanNostrand

DennyVanNostrand Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2018
    Keeping splashing water out and hermetically sealing a camera are two different things. I worked in the oil industry years ago and we had explosion proof electrical panels. They were cast aluminum and sat outside. It rained and snowed on them year round and they even had a precision machined face that bolted shut I think they even had an O-ring seal. No water ever got inside. When you opened one it was corroded big time. It's from a pumping effect. As the temperature changes it can push and pull air in and out. Humid air got pulled in and condensed on the interior. If you are going in and out of two different temperatures and/or humidity levels it could happen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Conrad Saya Reina

Thursday
    Brilliant observation!!! I will keep it in a dehumidifying cabinet for now on when it is not on the hunt for images.

12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You also need to take when moving from a cold/cool environment to a hot/warm environment and vice versa. Both can cause condensation to occur.
    When moving between hot/warm and cold/cool environments you should keep your camera in your bag until the bag and contents are near the same temperature as outside the bag.

13. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Plus, discharging lithium batteries produce small amount of hydrogen gas, which is corrosive. That's probably why the manual suggest that batteries should be removed from cameras when not used for extended period of time.

(PDF) Insight into the Gassing Problem of Li-Ion Battery
    Hydrogen damage - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. DennyVanNostrand

DennyVanNostrand Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2018
    I started leaving the battery out of the body of my EM1 Mkii. I have a battery in the grip only.

15. Conrad Saya Reina

Thursday
    I will remember that. Thank you.

16. Conrad Saya Reina

Thursday
    I visited Olympus Plaza, Shinjuku, again, and they said that you can keep the battery in the camera, except when it will not be in use for a long time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.