Olympus OMD EM5 Mark ii 'corrosion'

Conrad Saya Reina

New to Mu-43
What do you think?
I bought my Olympus OMD EM5 Mark ii three years ago. After 8 months it failed to turn on a few times, so I brought it in to Olympus Plaza, the Olympus repair centre for Tokyo. They said that they couldn't locate a problem because it turned on consistently when they tried it (of course, just like when you visit the doctor and it doesn't hurt anymore). Recently the problem returned, but this time it failed to turn on consistently. I brought it in and a week later was given a 12,000 yen repair bill. I argued that since the problem occured within a year, they should repair it for free, but they said that corrosion had caused the problem. They couldn't provide me with photographs or the corroded parts, though. We talked about it for an hour, but to no avail. Japan is humid in the summer, but I doubt a camera would suffer from corrosion after just three years. I believe the problem was a fault in manufacture. Any thoughts?

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes its sad when they do that and they're fully aware it IS a manufacturing issue but try and evade it,I have the same issue with mine and just on this web site alone several others have posted similar comments.

I think the original EM5 had a few issues with corrosion where the battery pins tie into the board. Apparently the battery compartment allows vapor into the body. Modern lead free solder is much more affected by corrosion than the old lead stuff. That would be my guess.

Conrad Saya Reina

New to Mu-43
I don't know how a fault in manufacture causes corrosion...
What I meant is that there was some defect in the camera from the beginning. That's why it manifested itself after only 8 months. The problem came to a head after 3 years.

Conrad Saya Reina

New to Mu-43
I think the original EM5 had a few issues with corrosion where the battery pins tie into the board. Apparently the battery compartment allows vapor into the body. Modern lead free solder is much more affected by corrosion than the old lead stuff. That would be my guess.
I wonder if there was corrosion. They didn't show me any photographs or the corroded parts. Just to be on the safe side, I purchased a dehumidifying cabinet.

Conrad Saya Reina

New to Mu-43
Yes its sad when they do that and they're fully aware it IS a manufacturing issue but try and evade it,I have the same issue with mine and just on this web site alone several others have posted similar comments.
And it is supposed to be weatherproof.

Conrad Saya Reina

New to Mu-43
Good observation!

DennyVanNostrand

Mu-43 Veteran
Keeping splashing water out and hermetically sealing a camera are two different things. I worked in the oil industry years ago and we had explosion proof electrical panels. They were cast aluminum and sat outside. It rained and snowed on them year round and they even had a precision machined face that bolted shut I think they even had an O-ring seal. No water ever got inside. When you opened one it was corroded big time. It's from a pumping effect. As the temperature changes it can push and pull air in and out. Humid air got pulled in and condensed on the interior. If you are going in and out of two different temperatures and/or humidity levels it could happen.

Conrad Saya Reina

New to Mu-43
Keeping splashing water out and hermetically sealing a camera are two different things. I worked in the oil industry years ago and we had explosion proof electrical panels. They were cast aluminum and sat outside. It rained and snowed on them year round and they even had a precision machined face that bolted shut I think they even had an O-ring seal. No water ever got inside. When you opened one it was corroded big time. It's from a pumping effect. As the temperature changes it can push and pull air in and out. Humid air got pulled in and condensed on the interior. If you are going in and out of two different temperatures and/or humidity levels it could happen.
Brilliant observation!!! I will keep it in a dehumidifying cabinet for now on when it is not on the hunt for images.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Brilliant observation!!! I will keep it in a dehumidifying cabinet for now on when it is not on the hunt for images.
You also need to take when moving from a cold/cool environment to a hot/warm environment and vice versa. Both can cause condensation to occur.
When moving between hot/warm and cold/cool environments you should keep your camera in your bag until the bag and contents are near the same temperature as outside the bag.

Phoque

Mu-43 Veteran
Apparently the battery compartment allows vapor into the body.
Plus, discharging lithium batteries produce small amount of hydrogen gas, which is corrosive. That's probably why the manual suggest that batteries should be removed from cameras when not used for extended period of time.

Gas generation (namely, the volume
swelling of battery, or called the gassing)
is a common phenomenon of the degra-
dation of battery performance, which is
generally a result of the electrolyte decom-
position occurring during the entire lifes-
pan of Li-ion batteries no matter whether
the battery is in service or not.

ON ANODE
The gases from the graphite anode are
dominated by the reductive gases such as
H2...
(PDF) Insight into the Gassing Problem of Li-Ion Battery
Hydrogen damage - Wikipedia

Conrad Saya Reina

New to Mu-43
You also need to take when moving from a cold/cool environment to a hot/warm environment and vice versa. Both can cause condensation to occur.
When moving between hot/warm and cold/cool environments you should keep your camera in your bag until the bag and contents are near the same temperature as outside the bag.
I will remember that. Thank you.

Conrad Saya Reina

New to Mu-43
Plus, discharging lithium batteries produce small amount of hydrogen gas, which is corrosive. That's probably why the manual suggest that batteries should be removed from cameras when not used for extended period of time.

I visited Olympus Plaza, Shinjuku, again, and they said that you can keep the battery in the camera, except when it will not be in use for a long time.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom