Olympus OMD EM5 Intervalometer / remote trigger

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rxstuve, Oct 20, 2012.

1. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    USA
    I have an Olympus OMD EM5 and I am looking for a good solution for a remote trigger and intervalometer. I welcome your recommendations. I don't know if I want to use my iphone via TriggerTrap as that would tie up a piece of gear that is used often. I also understand you can do something with in the firmware in the camera by using anti shake but it sounds more complicated than it needs to be. I would like to be able to do the following.

1. remote trigger for less shake.
    2. Bulb mode for some long exposure and light painting.
    3. TimeLapse

Thanks in advance.

Rick Stuve
    Semper Fi

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Many wireless remotes use the same 3/32" (2.5mm) socket, so if the remote you like doesn't come with the Olympus cable you can buy an aftermarket cable. For instance I ave a cheap basic remote, a more expensive Pixel brand wireless intervalometer, and an electric eye/sound trigger remote, and I use the same cable with an Olympus end for all three devices.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Search eBay for Timer Remote Shutter for Olympus RM-UC1

4. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I've got an Apurture and love it. Bought it on Amazon for $34.

Amazon.com: Aputure Timer Camera Remote Control Shutter Cable 3L for Olympus EVOLT SP-510, SP-550, SP-560, SP-565, SP-570, SP-590, Olympus E-620, E-600, E-520, E-510, E-450, E-420, E-410, E-400,E-300, Olympus PEN E-P1, PEN E-P2, Inexpensive Intervalo

It works without the battery as a cable release, but also has interval timer, bulb timer, and something else that I have yet to use. The only down-side is the fact that there's no "off" button but it turns itself off after a while. I make sure by slipping a small piece of paper into the slide-out battery compartment.

5. Stonehollow

Stonehollow Guest

That's good to hear. I bought one for my e-620, and haven't got around to looking at what my OM-D requires. :)

This is indeed inexpensive, but I have had no problems using it (many times) on my e-620.

6. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I had an E-620 right before I got the OM-D, and sure wish I would've known about this thing then!

7. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    For what its worth, OMD works pretty well for timelapse. Turn off IBIS and autofocus, i managed to get well over 1,000 images before the battery died out.

8. for what its worth, i was thinking of getting the Giga T Pro II ... expensive in some ways but wireless is good ... its AUS$95 from digidirect

9. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    One battery, or two (using battery grip) ?

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I've been using the Giga T Pro II for a few months as a remote trigger and now I want to use it for time lapse control. There are three problems that I've encountered: (1) I guess I left the power on and drained the battery in the receiver, so now I have to find a source for the CR2 lithium batteries, and (2) the instruction manual is not all that easy to understand (it could be a bit more detailed), and (3) the trigger seems only to be programmable to 99 images - not very many for a time lapse sequence).

Has anyone used the Giga T Pro II for time lapse? If so, could you post some hints?

Thanks,

11. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I've had over 700 shots out of a single battery at a friends wedding, lots of screen use but all taken quickly over a few hours. Not quite motor drive, but very frequent shutter bashing...

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Any of the cable remote shutter switches (original RM-UC1 or copies) will work & set the 'Anti Shake' (Menu *E) to the interval you want, select the Sequential Drive mode with the diamond in front of it for Anti Shake (which is shutter delay), press the shutter button with lock on the remote cable & it will start taking frames until you stop it by releasing the lock on the cable remote.

13. ZulSim

ZulSim Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2013
    Kuala Lumpur
    Can a Pixel RW221 wireless remote work for time lapse?

14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good to see you here Boris. I'm just a little further up the Mountains.