Olympus OMD EM5 and Metz 15 MS-1 Ring Flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sailorlad, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    I am seeking help in setting up my OMD to work with the Metz flash. Have been trying for two days now with very little success. Neither of the handbooks are particularly explicit but I do believe I have the Metz set up reasonably well to the Olympus setting.
    I think my problem is with the various settings available on the OMD.
    I cannot get the Metz to fire unless I have it set to "slave" and even then the output appears to be very low (power setting on Metz is set to max).
    Any help would be gratefully accepted.

2. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    Should be no problem

Put the small flash on the OMD and make sure it is up. You can put the clip on the flash. Set flash in menu to RC1. Make sure the Metz is set to Oly TTL mode. Fire away. Of course you can turn the power up or down to suit.

Should work with no problem.

Phil

3. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Thank you for your prompt reply, Phil. I have only just logged on so have not followed your instruction yet.
    Just at this time I recall the OMD has a RC setting (RC1 ?) and I cannot remember the Metz showing Oly TTL ( Oly - yes, but TTL ?)
    I will certainly investigate and will report back to you how I get on!
    Thank you again for your help.
    Robert.

4. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Hello again, Phil!
    Positive progress, my OMD is now communicating with the Metz ring flash. Your suggested action put me on the right track. Setting up the Metz was no problem at all but there was a little more detail required for the OMD other than setting the camera to RC. It was necessary to set channel and and shutter syncing on the OMD as well.
    I haven't had a chance to to use the combination yet - we have had nothing but rain, rain and more rain here of late!
    Thank you again for your help - much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Robert.

5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Please take a few shots with the ring flash and post them.

6. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    I will see what I can do when it stops raining!
    Have just remembered - I have yet to purchase a 46mm To 58mm Step Up Ring Adapter to attach the lens/camera to the Metz flash. My last enquiry at our local shopping centre proved unfruitful so I will likely have to purchase one from the net.
    I will certainly post some shots when I have them.
    Robert.

7. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    Glad you got it working

Flash in macro always requires a little tweaking. I guess since you are close to the subject. Even using it TTL, you may have to turn the flash power up or down. If you get really close, try closing the diffusers also.

Practice on something inanimate before taking on the bugs.

Phil

8. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Hello again, Phil!

The step up ring adapter arrived this morning. I am now able to set the Metz flash on the OMD camera without having to hold the pieces together by hand.

I regret to report the set up is still not working satisfactorily.
    The camera is triggering the flash - no problem. However, the exposure is nowhere near correct. It looks as though the camera is ignoring the flash and setting the exposure according to the aperture and shutter speed settings.
    Quite possibly the TTL setting is not working properly.

The Metz is set to Oly Channel 1, Group C.
    The camera RC Mode is set to ON, C Mode TTL Ch 1.

I have tried the set up in both Manual and Aperture priority modes on the camera - this seems to make no difference.

I suspect my problem is associated with the "C Mode TTL Ch 1" settings on the camera. There are some alternatives to these but I cannot make any sense of them and the handbook information is very minimal and, in my opinion, no use at all!

Any further suggestions leading to a solution to the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Robert.