Olympus OMD EM1O

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photoeagle, Jan 23, 2016.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    For those using EM1O do you experience any focusing issues in different light conditions?
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, any camera is going to have more trouble in dark or low-contrast conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Nope, I have found the E-M10 to be pretty reliable when it comes to AF and while it does seem a tiny bit less sure in low light/low contrast (as I would expect it would) it's not anything that I would see as a problem.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What lens are you using? A lens with a wide aperture (e.g. f/1.8 or less) is going to be much better at focusing in dim conditions than an f/3.5-f/5.6 lens, even if you stop down, because the lens will always focus wide open to get as much light as possible.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I never had any problems in normal light conditions when pointing the AF box on something with some contrast. The 75-300 was good enough for some BIF shots when I was able to track the bird properly.

Then it also depends on the lens. Some time ago I did a 12-40 vs P20 comparison in extremely low light (ISO 5000, f/1.8, 1/10s). With just a hint of contrast (wood veins) both were able to lock focus. The zoom was faster and more reliable.
    A few times I had the impression that focus distance matters too, like the P20 in low light locks more easily on close targets rather then distant ones. But this could be lens dependent.

Is there any situation in particular that matters to you?
  6. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    I am doing my research for my next camera. Most of shooting would be outdoor lighting.
  7. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I have noticed some differences when using Focus Peaking which I documented here. But otherwise, no significant differences other than some low light issues that all cameras have with autofocus in low light.