1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OMD EM10: noisy?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by parksung, Sep 24, 2014.

1. parksung

parksung New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2014
    I've been using an EP3 and just upgraded to the EM10. Yay! However, when using the 17mm and 14-42mm compact zoom on the EM10, there's a lot of noise from the lenses. I don't hear as much with those lenses on the EP3.

Does anyone notice the noise?

I took it to a repair shop and they said it's usual camera noise. A 2nd shop said the mic sounds like it's ON. Let me also explain that I had the camera in a padded lens case in my bicycle pannier with about 8 records inside, and my bike fell over on the pannier side. Therefore, I'm worried that the weighted impact may have damaged the lens, but it's odd that both lenses sound noisey.

Any ideas?

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Lenses make lens noises, not camera bodies.

IBIS?

3. parksung

parksung New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2014
    i didn't say it was the body. i wanted to know if the lens noise was normal.

apparently based on other discussions, it's the ibis and normal.
    "EGenius007 wrote:

That's not autofocus, that is the in-body image stabilization (IBIS) at work. Given that your Panasonic lens, IIRC, has optical image stabilization (OIS), you MUST USE ONLY ONE form of IS - disable either the OIS with the switch on the lens, or set the IBIS to lens priority mode. (Sorry, don't recall which menu - don't have any OIS lenses myself.)"

Now the question is, considering I'm not using the lens with an OIS switch on it, how do I disable the OIS or set the IBIS to lens priority mode?

4. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    in body image stabilization. The em10 has a 3 axis ibis when half-pressed you can hear the sensor moving around the camera.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If the lenses work normally, I wouldn't worry about it. IBIS means in body stabilization, which makes noise depending on whether it's activated, and for how long.

Do you mean they are loud during focusing, or at some other time?
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Where are you located? (Just curious as to what self-respecting camera shop would tell you that the mic was on when talking about the noise a camera with IBIS makes...)

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The title and this "when using the 17mm and 14-42mm compact zoom on the EM10, there's a lot of noise from the lenses. I don't hear as much with those lenses on the EP3." sure suggests you were implying it pretty hard. ;)

8. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    I own this camera and I also have the 17mm lens.
    Yes, there is noise (sound) coming from the camera. It is most likely the IBIS system that you are hearing.

If you hear the sound when you press the shutter half way, and when you release the shutter it stops, then it is the IBIS.

I had a GX1 before the E-M10, and hearing the sound of the E-M10's IBIS got me worried at first. I thought that my camera was defective. After a few searches online, I found that the IBIS can be quite loud. And I think the E-M10 is even a bit louder than the E-M5 or the other models.

But as others have said before me, it is probably perfectly normal.
    If your camera is taking good images, then you shouldn't be worried about it.

I absolutely love this camera by the way...

9. parksung

parksung New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2014
    I'm in Vancouver...it was the salesperson who said this so I'll give him a break since he wasn't the repairs person, thankfully!

They're a big camera shop in town, and have been around for quite some time...but also charged $20 more for a Pelican case than London Drugs. Sure, LD is huge and a chain, but $20 difference is quite a bit.

10. parksung

parksung New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2014
    Ok...the noise is when focusing and shooting. Sounds like my little accident didn't hurt anything. Phew.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    IBIS is what makes the noise.

12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I admit it took me aback a bit when I first heard it too. It does seem louder some times more than others--could just be that I'm not always very observant and don't hear it, haha.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, no problem. The E-M5 with FW 1.0 was the worst because IBIS was on all the time! The E-M10 in comparison seems a bit more refined. Definitely ask questions here before going to a camera repair shop that probably has little to no understanding of M43 cameras! :wink:

14. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    A quick question if I may...The live view image of the EM-10 is stabilized only when half-pressing the shutter button? If one does not half-press the shutter button, the image when composing will not be stabilized?

Is there a setting in which IS is turned on all the time? Does that drastically reduce the battery though?

15. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    E-M5 has a setting in Custom Menu/ C/ Half Way Rls With IS. But if you set that off, then the IS only works during the exposure. So I believe there is no option to set it to stabilize always on live view. I think the battery life would suffer from it too much.

16. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm rather new to the EM10 as well, but I notice a noise kind of like the OP was talking about, except it's quieter than the IBIS that activates on shutter press, and it makes it all the time. It's only audible in very quiet environments and only when the camera is fairly close to my face, but it does indeed sound kind of like the white noise that a speaker or mic makes. It's odd. As soon as I switch the camera off it's gone. I'm curious now, what might make that noise? Is the IBIS sort of semi-activated when the camera switches on, just fires up all the way when it's triggered by the shutter, or some such?

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

17. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    It's the IBIS you're hearing. It's activated when the camera is switched on, but only fully engaged either on shutter half-press (in order to stabilise your viewfinder/screen image) or on full-press, i.e. when actually shooting. In order to be deployed in time, it needs to operate all the time - I suspect it's mostly used for orientation sensing (and display if that's switched on).

That said, I've never seen a reason to limit my use of IBIS except when the camera is on a tripod, in which case I disable it entirely. However, I don't use the ability to have IBIS on shutter half-press - it eats into your battery life, and furthermore, I actually like to know when I'm shaking in order to counteract that as far as possible.

This leaves me with a tiny bit of noise when I move the camera around, with the increase almost imperceptible when pressing the shutter (the shutter itself is far louder, actually - and that's saying something, because it's rather quiet all by itself).

As for the character of the sound, well - there are tiny spools and electric motors at work, and a pretty constant whine with slight variations is what is to be expected (basic operation, engaging/disengaging). Overall, I find it faint and unobstrusive.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I've seen this complaint several times about the OMD cameras, and not just on this site. I don't hear this noise with the kit lens, the OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R, nor do I hear such noises with the 4/3s DSLR lenses I use. I wonder if the noise is specific to one or two models of m4/3s lenses?

19. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I noticed it with the 17mm pancake and without a lens at all.

That makes perfect sense, I suspected it was the IBIS, it is rather odd to have a camera that sounds like speaker hiss all the time that it's on. But I'm not arguing with that great IBIS. It's some pretty good stuff!

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

20. Sujiar

Sujiar Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2014
    NorCal, USA
    Suji
    If you hold the OMD M10 very close to your ear you will hear the very faint constant hiss of the IBIS - half press the shutter and it will get much louder as it fully engages. Also if you rotate the camera quickly the IBIS engages. The sensitivity of the engagement seems to differ with different focal length lenses (as one might expect) and not at all with my BCL 9 which has no electronic contacts. It would be nice if the noises weren't there or quieter but the IBIS a great thing to have!

All the best