Olympus OMD EM1 MII sd door sloppy/ loose

Donmonte

New to Mu-43
Yeah it's just a tad, but it's there. Still find it disappointing for 2000$ camera.

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
So disappointed. Just got my new E-M1 mkII in time for my Singapore trip this weekend and the SD card door is loose. Not what I expect from and expensive camera and isn't reassuring for weatherproofing. It feels loose in the palm of my hand and flips open easily with a flick of one finger. It's going back to Olympus tomorrow. This is one of the really annoying things in Malaysia. There is no consumer rights/protection and even though I just got it today and have never used it there is no option to return to the store and the only option is to go to Olympus.

I'm not happy.

donlaw

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don Lawrence
Mine is very tight. Actual harder to open than I expected.
You would think QC would catch the loose ones if there were very many.

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
Well. After my complaining yesterday about the loose SD card door on my brand new E-M1 MkII i feared I would be without the camera for 1-2 weeks while it was sent back for service. However, I must give Olympus Malaysia some praise. My wife took the camera to Olympus Malaysia for me after lunch today and they repaired the SD card door while she waited. 30minutes to repair and now it's all fixed.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I'll revive this thread. Has anybody sent their camera back to Olympus to have this fixed, and been successful? I know a number of people exchanged camera bodies when they were new, but has anybody in the US sent the camera back to Olympus service for this?

The reason I ask is I recently had to send my E-M1 II in to Olympus to get the original SD card door replaced because the plastic had cracked and it would no longer consistently "lock" shut. No problem. Shipped it to their NJ facility (cost me $30 with the insurance), waited a little over a week, and I had the camera back in my possession. Great! The service note stated that they replaced the SD card door and the rear plate, and were even so kind as to erase my settings for me (fortunately, the E-M1 II allows you to backup the settings to your computer via Olympus Viewer 2.0).

However, upon handling the camera, I noticed something was a bit "off". Sure enough, the SD card door has some slop in it. It's not a major problem, and nothing a small bit of gaffer's tape can't fix, but it's annoying considering my original door was perfect, and now the replacement door is loose. I don't want to pay $30 to ship the camera in to them again just to have the door fixed. Ideally, I'd want for Olympus to pay for shipping both ways, since the camera should've never been returned to me like this. I don't know that they'll do that though, and I really don't feel like paying another $30 to have the camera "fixed" when it shouldn't have been like this in the first place. A small piece of gaffer's tape may be the way to go.

But anyways, has anybody sent their camera back to Olympus service in the US to have this fixed, or did you simply exchange the camera for a different one at the shop where you bought it? Or better yet, is there a way to fix this ourselves?

Marc47

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Marc
Hi everyone,

I've had this "loose SD door" issue from the beginning (Dec 2016), trying to "live with it", though finding it very annoying for a "rock-solid" camera.
As I was considering to finally send my camera for repair to the Olympus center, I just tried a very simple idea to fix it: a tiny piece of gaffer tape at the bottom of the body/door.

And, against all expectations, the door went from loose to very firm in my hand. Problem solved (!!!). Can't imagine I didn't try that before. Below a few (ugly) pictures to show how small it is. The gaffer color I used is very discrete and almost not visible (even though quite visible on the cell phone photo taken with flash...).

Hope it will help a few people to feel better with their (amazing on all other aspects) camera.

Marc

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bought the camera used and I have the same problem. Does anyone in LA know of a local camera shop?
It is only the outer part that is slightly loose. The inner part that seals it is tight. Examine the mechanism and you will see. Don't bother about it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom