Olympus OMD-EM1 Dead Sensor Issue?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by douglasgottlieb, Aug 15, 2014.

1. douglasgottlieb

douglasgottlieb New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2014
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Dead Sensor Issue

Has anyone experienced any issue with their Olympus OMD-EM1 sensor giving up for no apparent reason?

I loved my Olympus OMD-EM1 until the sensor failed inexplicably after less than 5 months and Olympus won't fix it under warrantee. It worked fine one day. A few days later I took it out of my camera bag and the battery was fine, I could shoot video and had an image on the LCD and EVF but the clicking the shutter locked up the viewfinder at every shutter speed until the camera was switched off and on again. Video was written to card but not stills.

After a polite conversation with an Olympus tech and his supervisor that had me do a reset, they concluded that "it sounds like a dead sensor."

The camera has never been bumped or dropped but was purchased directly from GetOlympus.com USA as a refurb, and therefore, carries only 3 month coverage.

This is not a very happy first Olympus interaction for me.

I owned Canon cameras for 25 years and never had one repair. Customer service like this is unlikely to keep me with Olympus beyond the next 2 years, much less a repeat buyer for 25. I hope I'm an isolated case.

Short sighted, Oly!

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    If you bought it with a Credit Card, your CC may have provided additional warranty coverage... Did you check that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. douglasgottlieb

Aug 15, 2014
    Great idea! Thanks!

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If you can shoot video, then it's clearly not a sensor problem. Have you inadvertently set the timer to a long setting or similar. I've done that a couple of times and forgotten to reset it and it's taken me a few minutes to realise that there's not a problem with the camera.

5. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    The other possibility is that the shutter blades are warped or catching. The camera has to close, then open, then close, then open, to take a photo. So, if anything is out of spec, it's possible the shutter blades are jamming up like an old typewriter.

6. douglasgottlieb

Aug 15, 2014
    That's what it feels like

7. douglasgottlieb

Aug 15, 2014
    Do you mean the drive mode that selects between single hi speed motor 2 second timer, etc? If so, I've tried it set to single shot and high speed motor drive. Both stick.

Or do you mean that I stumbled into that mode that's used for photographing star trails? I'm not even sure where that is, but could be my user error...

8. douglasgottlieb

Aug 15, 2014
    I tried both BULB and LIVE TIME for the first time. In LIVE TIME, the image does burn in and then when I press the shutter again, the screen goes black, just like it does at higher shutter speeds. IN BULB mode, it just goes black, even tho I'm shooting at F2.8 into my computer monitor light.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had a shutter failure on my refurb EM5, but I never thought to try video. It was almost 6 months but Cameta Camera (where I bought it) got it fixed for me.

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am sorry to hear about your E-M1 problems. For future reference and for other readers, you can buy an extended warranty for refurbished products within the 90 day initial warranty period. You can also get a quote from Precision Camera for repair if you are in the US. It looks to be $184.00 if they can repair it for the flat rate, and I believe they offer a six month warranty on their repairs.

Good luck,

--Ken

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, either. It just seems odd that video works and stills does not. It's always worth considering the simplest solution, which may just be a setting. For what it's worth, why not try resetting the camera to the factory default and see what happens.

12. douglasgottlieb

Aug 15, 2014
    That's good policy by Cameta. Much better than Olympus themselves. I won't buy from GetOlympus.com again

13. douglasgottlieb

Aug 15, 2014
    It does seem odd. The Olympus tech had me do a "reset my sets" which returned me to the super menu. The problem persists. I'll look in the other menus for a full factory reset if that's not it, but seems like it is, right? THANKS again for trying to help me troubleshoot this! :)

14. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Cameta offers an in house warranty with their purchases for up to a period of one year. And, they charge $80 more than Olympus for a refurbished E-M1 for that coverage. Get Olympus offers a 90 day warranty, and the option to purchase an extended warranty for up to two years, at the cost of $80. I can understand being upset with Olympus because your equipment had an issue, but I do not understand why you would buy again from Cameta, but not from Get Olympus, especially since you get an additional year at no extra charge? They are very clear about their warranty policies, and offer you the option if you want additional coverage.

--Ken