Olympus omd em-10 setup question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AZgal, Aug 10, 2014.

1. AZgal

AZgal New to Mu-43

Aug 10, 2014
    I just got my em-10 and am a bit overwhelmed since this is my first interchangeable lens camera. I have the Stylus 1 so I have some hint about the Olympus menu style but the em-10 is much more sophisticated than the Stylus 1.

I have found guides for setting up the EM-5 and the EM-1 but not one for the EM-10. My question is whether the EM-10 is so different than either of those cameras that their guides will not be helpful.

I appreciate any help you can offer.
  2. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The e-m5 guide should help as both have a similar button layout and same sensor. The firmware on the e-m10 has many refined options over the e-m5, but you can discover those over time.
  3. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    David Busch's book on the E-M5 is excellent. I haven't used an E-M10, but I'd imagine that they're similar enough that the E-M5 book would be helpful. Just bear in mind that you don't need to learn to do everything at once. Shoot in auto or P mode for a while until you get comfortable. When you're ready to start changing settings, just make sure that the SCP (Super Control Panel) is enabled. That's the screen that will let you change settings without digging through the menus or remembering which button or dial is set to change which function.
  4. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
  6. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    AZgal, I have an E-M10, it's my 3rd m4/3 Olympus and I have been pleased that menus remain pretty much consistent. I love its Wi-Fi functionality, but really am impressed with how customizable it is. I have documented my journey down this road, especially regarding customization on my blog: http://www.infotor.com/blog/category/mft/. You'll find some useful info there as well as links to other resources.
  7. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    If you have an IPad then "Supercharging the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Camera" by W.N.Green can be bought from the Store.
    I found it to be an excellent primer to the Menu System and covered the multitude of tips I'd found over the internet.
    I wish that it had been around when I first bought the camera.
  8. Yycdave

Yycdave Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    Agreed, well worth the nominal cost to get all of the information in one place.
  9. AZgal

AZgal New to Mu-43

Aug 10, 2014
    Am ordering the book now. Thanks so much.
  10. AZgal

AZgal New to Mu-43

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks to all who responded. I love the camera so far and now I will only enjoy it more when I know what the *** I am doing.