Olympus OMD e10 or e5? Which would be the best choice as I am needing on board image stabilisation.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by hillwalkinggirl, Sep 7, 2014.

1. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    I have a Panasonic G6 which I really love, however I find the limitation with it is that the lack of image stabilisation in the body limits the efficient use of non Panasonic lens. I am not the sort of person who carries a tripod out with me when hiking on mountains and I have found that using my Olympus 60mm macro it is very difficult to get a steady shot without OIS.

I have decided that it would be a good option to buy either an OMD e5 or OMDe10 so that I can use non panasonic lens and still have OIS.

I shoot mainly in RAW, use MF quite a lot, especially for macro. My eyesight isn't as good as it used to me so I need a clear screen. I use focus peaking on my G6 so I think that might lead me towards the e10, but looking at the spec it appears that the e5 is the more pro camera.

Would I be silly to go for the e10, as I can get either camera for roughly the same price.

The lens I would be using at present are the Panasonic 14-42 PZ lens, the 45-175 PZ lens, 20mm pancake, 14mm pancake, Olympus 60mm macro, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 25mm. Other heavier lenses I would still use my Nikon D7000 for.

I am going to buy a Panasonic 100-300mm soon, but it would be nice to be able to use Olympus and Sigma lens too. I still intend to keep my Panasonic G6 as well.

Any help would be appreciated please.

2. beeftendon

beeftendon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Although the EM5 is technically the more premium camera, the EM10 is about 2 years newer and actually offers some improvements over the EM5 (at the expense of a few things). These are some of the more salient differences in my mind:

The EM5 has....
    ...weather sealing. If you need weather sealing, then we're done. However, seeing as you're using a G6, I'm assuming you don't, so read on!
    ...5-axis stabilization vs the EM10's 3-axis. I don't have personal experience comparing the two (I only have the EM10), but from what I've read, the quality of the stabilization is nearly indistinguishable for most people. I've seen the EM5 described as about a half-stop better in some cases.

The EM10 has...
    ...focus peaking, as you already know.
    ...a higher resolution screen (1040k dots vs 610k on the EM5), which sounds like something you might appreciate. Coming from a few years old point and shoot, an older DSLR, I was really impressed by the clarity of the EM10 screen.
    ...adaptive viewfinder brightness to keep the EVF visible under bright conditions without blinding you when it's dark. Again, this sounds like it would help with eyesight.
    ...0-second anti-shock via a recent firmware update. I've heard that the 45-175 lens sometimes has shutter shock issues on Olympus bodies, so this could help with that.
    ...built in flash. Maybe not that big a deal but hey, why not have it if it doesn't change the form factor?

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but just some of the more standout differences and things I think you might care about based on your post. As you can see, despite the EM5 being more pro, the EM10 still has a lot to offer at a similar price point. I'd worry less about the pro-ness and just pick the one that has the feature set you're looking for. I think most people would agree that you'd be pretty darn happy with either one, especially if IBIS is your primary concern.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just I case you didn't consider, the GX7. Haven't noticed any advantage to E-M5 stabilization vs the GX7. In fact, it's my daily carry, where as my E-M1 is for planned shoots. Can't say the E-M1 gives me any more stabilization75-80% of the time. GX7 will work seamlessly with all your Lumix glass be it stabilized or not. I am biased, but you couldn't pay me to get an E-M10, I think the GX7 is way more camera and features for the money. Just my opinion, please don't be insulted for my dislike of the E-M10.

• Like Like x 2
  4. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Also consider there is around 29g in weight difference between the 5 and 10 with the newer body being the lighter of the two. That's a big enough difference for me to consider it a factor carrying it around all day with multiple lenses and bodies in my bag.

+1 for the gx7 suggestion, you get ibis and a really good hand grip without having to spend extra or compromise it's portability or pocketability as you would on the omd bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd choose the GX7 over the E-M10 as well, but I think I could go either way and be happy. Why the extreme adverse feelings about the 10? What am I missing?

• Like Like x 1
  6. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    On the plus side of the e-M5 is the batterygrip, especially helpful when you are shooting portrait.
    You can get a e-m5 pretty cheap used in good conditions.
    But as already mentioned, the E-M10 has some nice improvements which are worse considering.

• Like Like x 1
  7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Im bookmarking this as Im in the market for a replacement camera and both the GX7 and Em10 are on my radar, the heart says GX7 but a lot of the features of the EM10 and the fact I have a load of batteries already for it do say its the common sense choice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Except for weather sealing, I can't see any reason to buy the E-M5 over the E-M10 in your circumstances. If I were in the market now for a camera of this type, it would be the E-M10 I'd buy (and I say this as an E-M5 owner).

• Like Like x 1
  9. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    Unless you feel the need to try out an Olympus camera, I think it makes most sense for you to choose the panasonic gx7. You will feel right at home with the same menu system, it has excellent in body stabilisation, build in viewfinder, and the sensor is an upgrade from your G6. Gx7 is smaller than your g6, but its still has a comfortable grip and is comfortable to operate. The only thing you would really be loosing is the articulated screen. I would sell the G6 and get GX7 instead.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Seems to me also like the GX7 would be worth considering for the reasons stated above, but fwiw, make sure you hold the E-M5 and the E-M10 in hand before making a decision as they feel totally different. YMMV, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    re: image stabilization, I have taken pictures of the moon with 300mm adapted canon lens at 1/80 sec. That's pretty good image stabilization! E-M10, although the M5 stabilization is 5 axis, M10 only 3 axis

• Like Like x 1
  12. hillwalkinggirl

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I have also checked out the GX7, so now I am considering the E-M10 or the GX7. It says in the review I read that IS doesn't work on the panny when composing. I am now trying to find out whether the IS on the E-M10 works while composing as I find when using my Olympus 60 macro on the panny the wobbling makes me feel sick.

13. beeftendon

beeftendon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    The EM10 IS runs when the shutter button is half pressed by default.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes - all Olys stabilise the image when composing - so long as you are half-pressing the shutter (or activating focus using a separate button - aka "back-button focus"). It's really handy on long lenses or for macro work.

• Like Like x 1
  15. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Olympus OMD e10 or e5? Which would be the best choice as I am needing on boar...

Is that true only for EVF? I don't think my EPL5 stabilizes when I hold the button down half way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sorry - I ought to have said Olys with the 5-axis (and more recent 3-axis as on E-M10).

• Like Like x 1
  17. hillwalkinggirl

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    The better spec for viewfinder and screen made me consider the GX7 but when ringing the camera shop today they told me that they only had 2 left and couldn't get any-more as Panasonic had stopped production. Might be best to see if price goes down more.

18. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    You might want to wait and see if Panasonic announces a replacement at IFA next week. That will probably bring the price further down.

• Like Like x 1
  19. hillwalkinggirl

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    Well I've done it. I've ordered the GX7 mainly because it had IS (although not rated as well by reviews as the IS on the E10), but I think it will be sufficient for my needs. The specifications were better than those of the E10. Viewfinder was higher resolution, flash range greater, and flash sync of 1/320 instead of 1/200. I found the 160 sync of the G6 to be limiting. Also the touch screen was capacitive like the G6 whereas the E10 was not. On the GX7 I liked being able to make a large range of adjustments directly on the touch screen, and also the operations were very similar to the G6 so required a much smaller learning curve. Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm just awaiting its arrival now and then hope I have made the right choice.

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While the GX7 is an amazing camera, I am a bit confused by your choice as your OP primarily stated the need for stabilization. I realize that there have been many opinions about the IS of the GX7, E-M10 and E-M5, but I suspect that many hold the opinion that the E-M5's IS is the most effective of the three, followed by the E-M10 and then the GX7. If this was the feature that you needed the most, I am surprised that you selected the GX7.

Also, IIRC, both Olympus models have capacitive touch screens.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1