Olympus OMD E M5 - does it have focus peaking

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi

I am new to the Olympus world, and have bought a couple of second hand Olympus cameras. One is an Olympus OMD E M 5, as above.

I am wondering about focus peaking. I wandered through the menus and couldn't see it, so maybe camera is too old for it?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty sure it doesn't. Take a look at this old post for a workaround. I used it on my Pens back in the day.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/focus-peaking-with-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5.35442/

My more recent cameras have it, but I still to prefer to use the magnifier option when it's critical.

Thanks. I'll probably just use the "new" second hand Oly OMD E M1MkII with legacy lenses. But thanks for the info.

I really like using that camera, and it's what I wanted to buy when I got the G9, but nowhere to get my hands on one. So got the G9 which I have been happy with but the M1MkII is way better for my hand size.

Tineke

New to Mu-43
There's this workaround to get some kind of focus peaking which works okay for some but a proper implementation is always preferable.

It basically uses a super high contrast and comic-y jpeg picture mode that you can use to determine the proper focus. I didn't really like it.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
The short answer is no, the EM5 does not support focus peaking. That came in with the EM1 and I remember because I thought that was a pretty exciting feature.

But, magnification was available as a manual focus assist.

Last edited:

HarryS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There is a way to use the key line art filter to simulate focus peaking. It involved programming a function key to turn on the art filter. Then you blipped it off and took a normal photo.

I had this set in my EM5 to use with my wider angle manual focus lenses, in particular the fisheye. I think it was quite useful. However, I don't have a link so you will have to google for it,

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom