1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OMD 95% – Leica M9 5%

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bijansabet, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bijansabet

bijansabet New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2010
    Bijan
    I have both the OMD and the M9P

I thought this was an interesting post about the two cameras.

Olympus OMD 95% – Leica M9 5%

I use my m9p more than the author

but the omd is a pure joy and right now the split is about 60/40 for me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    • Like Like x 2
  3. bijansabet

bijansabet New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2010
    Bijan
    yes, thanks!

4. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Do you use the same m4/3 lenses as Neil Buchan-Grant?

-Edit-
    I guess he doesn't talk about it much in his guest post on Steve Huff. Here's his list according to http://buchangrant.com/blog/?page_id=71.

5. bijansabet

bijansabet New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2010
    Bijan
    i use the Oly 12mm f2 and the Pana Leica 25mm. i have the Oly 75mm f1.8 on order...

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    i must say that for the first time i saw the P25 "different" than my P20 in a good way.

7. metalbernd

metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Holland
    WOW, amazing pictures, good work, another example that the photographer make the photo's and not only expensive gear.

• Like Like x 1
  8. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    ...before, i wanted a Panny 20mm...I have to admit....I am totally sold on a leica 25mm now...totally changed my mind on what lens to buy...

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - no doubt the M9 is an awesome camera, but this is always true. :biggrin:

10. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    I think that if I spend $8000 on a camera it would never leave my body. That's such a ridiculous amount to barely even use it. Why would anyone own both if they have an $8000 paperweight 95% of the time?

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I pretty much agree, but would offer these reasons:
    1.) You're a professional and can afford to carry one for those "magical" shots that you can only achieve with the M9.

2.) Many people fail to take :43: seriously and the M9 establishes you as a "Pro" in the eyes of those folks. This is a real issue for those who make their living as a photographer - perception matters in securing work.

3.) The sheer joy of owning a high quality piece of equipment - much as folks in our area own classic cars that they only use in the summer on sunny days. In the winter the car stays in storage.

Probably more reasons, but these are what occurred to me. As you say, if I owned one it would be glued to my hands. :biggrin:

12. oldcarrot

oldcarrot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2012
    WHY? 'Cause they can :rofl:

13. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    I can't think of many shots I can achieve with my M9-P that I cannot achieve with my D800.

In my experience, it works completely the other way. My Nikon D3 and D800 and some big Nikkors are more likely to establish me as a "Pro" in clients' eyes. If I turn up with the M9-P and a couple of comparatively tiny Leica lenses, I am less likely to be taken seriously because very few clients have the faintest clue what it is. When I used to shoot weddings, I had a customer complain that I had shot her daughter's wedding with a cheap camera. :rolleyes:

There is some truth in that. Many Leica buyers are affluent people who don't have a clue how to use them. They are pieces of jewellery rather than working tools.

You can tell those who don't use their Leicas much - they are cosmetically in mint condition and the owners fret about the tiniest signs of use. My M9-P is relatively new but it is a workhorse and already has scratches, a dent or two and some brassing. My lenses are the same, except the glass is always pristine. You don't pay $$$ for a superlative Leica lens and then not take care of it. The glass is the only reason I shoot Leica.

Incidentally, I prefer black and white film to the M9-P.