Olympus OM to Canon FD adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nuclearboy, Dec 31, 2014.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Does anyone know where to get an Olympus OM to Canon FD adapter or if one exists at all.

I have a metabones FD to m43 adapter and would like to also try an OM lens on this adapter. For this, I would need an OM to FD adapter.

I found NIKON to FD adapters. The NIKON and OM flange distances are similar so an OM to FD adapter should be possible.

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Sure would be nice if they made one, but I haven't seen one. I would like one for my FD-M43 focal reducer too.

I was looking at pictures of the Nikon-FD adapter. Looks like the Nikon bayonet plate comes out. An Olympus plate from a OM-M43 adapter might drop right in if the screw holes match. If not, drill new ones. Then you have to get the thickness to match. There's also a lot of junk hanging off the back of an OM lens though that might have to come off. I might spend $20 to see if I can do it.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'd be curious, too. I've done a lot of DIY adapter fiddling. I designed and 3D-printed myself a Minolta SR to Canon FD adapter (for the express purpose of using it with my focal reducer), but I'm a little bit wary of hanging lenses off a piece of plastic, so I'm debating whether I should get it 3D printed in stainless steel at Shapeways. Just worried about the tolerances.

If you attempt it, please let us know how it goes.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Current status:
    I purchased that Roxsen Nikon F-FD adapter for $20. The Nikon bayonet flange is a separate piece that comes off and is discarded.
    I took an OM flange off another adapter. Then some work has to be done to the FD ring to allow it to drop in.

-Screw holes are different on the OM flange, requiring drill/tap..
    -New flange is 1mm wider than the Nikon flane, so the ring has to be opened up. I used a dremel with grinding bit. Easy.
    -Total thickness is off. The entire stackup should be thinner. I sanded down the ring with emory cloth. Removed ~.5mm. Tedious.
    -Need to add a tab for the OM aperture ring>

Got the ring to fit inside the FD-adapter and I can get infinity focus (barely) witth my OM 50mm f1.8.

Attached Files:

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My $10 set of taps came in. I used a #18, as the die fit my screws. I did not pursue a watchmaker's elegant fix for the aperture control. I just used epoxy to lay in a piece of brass that came out of a broken toy. I also have a cheap drill press, so the three holes were simple. The tapping was easy too. Got tired of waiting for a $5 pin vise collet to arrive in the mail, so I just used a vise grips. Here it is, OM on an FD focal reducer.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  6. tedlegrand

tedlegrand Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    montreal, qc
    eric
    Nice instructable.
    I was in the same situation. I got the FD speedbooster thinking that since FD has one of the smallest register distance SLR, I could adapt any lens that has a longer register distance.
    I got the Nikon to FD adapter http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lens-Adapter...700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417c0c241c
    I got the M42 to FD http://www.ebay.ca/itm/M42-Lens-to-...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2a3977046e
    for the OM mount, I tried to convert the OM mount to nikon F with http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Olympus-OM-L...675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234a151ba3
    but does not work right out of the box, the screws don't match and there is too much play on the mount (design a little off). I haven't took the time yet to properly fix it, but should be doable

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yikes. So you remove the back of an OM lens and replace the end piece with this part. Pretty smart, but I bet the rear can be a puzzle to remove. I see it doesn't fit the 50 f1.,8,

These things are never going to be any good for landscapes, as the edges that they bring in can be soft, but as far as ading a stop the concept works well in the centers.

8. tedlegrand

tedlegrand Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    montreal, qc
    eric
    It's actually very easy to remove, it's really only some screws on the metal mount that needs to be unscrewd.
    I tried it on my 135mm OM and the screw pattern didn't match. Maybe it does match for other lenses.
    It's really just switching lens mount on a lens, shouldn't affect quality.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Well, you still aren't using the whole image circle, since it leaves you with an effective 1.4x crop factor or so, so on a decent quality lens you won't get bad corners with a focal reducer on m4/3. APS-C could be a different story.