1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM lenses to Olympus 4/3 body adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jeff Worsnop, May 22, 2016.

1. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Hello
    First posting.
    I have just bought an EM 10. And yesterday my neighbour gave me a coupleof boxes with OM cameras and lenses - they were inherited from his uncle.
    Some of the lenses are very tempting for me to use, especially as the kit 14-42 lens has such bad barrel distortion.
    Question is re. adapters. I can see plenty for sale on web sites but so far as I can see none appear to enable an f stop setting to be locked which seems very desireable. Is anyone aware of any adapters that enable the f stop setting to be locked?
    Cheers
    Jeff

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Almost all adapters have a little arm which pushes the stop down lever inside the bayonet, by doing so the lens will stop down to whatever aperture is set on the lens rather than requiring the user to push the DoF preview button.

I personally prefer to use an EF->M4/3 adapter stacked with an OM->EF adapter, this allows me to use one without the stop down lever if I want to focus wide open and only stop down to shoot (by pressing the button).

adapter.
    You can see the bit of metal which acts on the stop down lever in the top right of the right hand adapter, the left hand one has it removed and metal around the DoF preview button (to allow it to be pushed easily).

3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
  4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... remove the tang on the adapter .... preset the aperture on the lens .... OM lenses have a preview button that allows you to focus wide open, then by pressing the preview button will stop the the lens down the selected aperture ,,,,

5. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Hello
    Thanks for your advice.
    Jeff

6. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Hello
    Unfortunately I don't understand " remove the tang on. the. adapter". I am aware of the use of preset buttons with M42 lens mount cameras ( my cameras from behind the iron curtain had that feature ) but so far as I can see the OM lenses have a stop down button on either side of the lens barrel that returns to fully open when released. I was hoping there would be a button on the adapter that would maintain the preset f no.
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
    Jeff

7. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
  8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    OM lenses need that tang to activate the aperture. Otherwise they stay open in preview mode 24/7. Now Sam and Eteless both prefer to keep the lens wide open, and then they press the tab on the lens to close it down when shooting, but it seems to me that they need two hands to both press the shutter and hold the lens closed down. This is a better technique of course, but I often use one hand.

Congrats on the free OM lenses and the cameras. I think half the old OM, Minolta, and Pentax gear from the old days gets given away, while most people think that if it says Nikon or Canon, it could be like old gold.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Hello
    I am now waiting for an adapter to be delivered.
    The Tokina made Vivitat series 1 will be interesting. Also the 50mm f3.5 macro could fill the niche left by selling my Sigma 105mm sold to partly fund the EM10 - but that would have required another adapter and the 50mm is tiny in comparison.
    Cheers
    Jeff