Olympus (OM-D) Technical info thread

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Danny_SWE, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I was actually looking for battery grip pinout but found most other things except just that :) so I thought of posting it here for the curious minds.

Disclaimer: This info might be incorrect and DIY-items may damage
    your camera. Always have that in mind.

From below site it looks like the connectors name is: Type A, 12-pin "DCUP-14"

Third-party USB-cable:

www.doc-diy.net :: camera remote release pinout list
    Re: USB pinout of E330, E500, E510: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Additional hardware info

TTL Flash connector information:
    See below (link)

Site with some technical drawings and magnesium body pics:
    Olympus revives classic OM design with the launch of Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-series hardware info page:
    The Olympus Hardware Resource Page
  2. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Looking at the USB-pinout it should be really easy to make a remote shutter release. I was actually thinking of making one for radio-controlled helicopter to trigger the shutter by the helicopter radio control.

The battery grip pickups could maybe (???) be used for power supplying the camera with some external power supply (2S LiPo in my case, or a 7.5V PSU for making a time-lapse 24 hour). Can't find any info what so ever about the pinout though, anyone?

The accessory connector under the flash hot shoe. Would be interesting to know what those pins are used for also. Personally I'm not too interested though, most interesting thing might be external microphone.
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You linked to a NIKON TLL conector. The Olympus flash contacts are in different locations, and is more advanced in that there's TTL data flowing in both directions. Here's a link to a post where someone else was being corrected for making the same assumption...look at the difference to the same diagram you linked to, and the picture of the Olympus/Panasonic hotshoe:

Software for Camera Flashguns

Suggest you edit your post (if still possible) and remove the part about the flash connector.
  4. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    ok, thanks! edited now, that is probably the least interesting pinout since we have RC-flashes on oly (I saw somemade solder his own radiocontrolled flash-controller for Canon, really cool).
  5. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)

found more info about the USB-cable, to split it and make it more "standard" :)

(found in this thread about tethered shooting)

Third-party battery dissected, interesting!

Found some very interesting notes about a guy who has experimented with the GH2 battery. Same principle (?) but not same pinout. Some clues about it though so I post it anyway:

Seems that besides +/- pins there are T-pin which is for temperature measure and the other two (I/S) are for sensing the battery type (ID?). Don't know at all but that's my idea right now. If anyone know something feel free to fill in.