1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D or EP3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ok ..so here goes my question ..
    Lets assume Olympus drops USD200 from EP3 price to USD 799 with kit lens and now New Olympus OM D is selling for USD 999 body only .
    Which one u would pick?Especilally if u are buying a new camera to thinking of upgrading from ur existing MFT body . I would pick OM-D without thinking twice. This is the camera I have been waiting from Olympus . I would add this one to my trusty EPL2 which I am gonna give to my six year old daughter .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    At those prices you listed for new, I would get the EM5 because I dislike kit lenses anyway, and the EM5 has better specs.

But I think a great condition used EP3 will be had for a much better price than that, without the kit lens, so for those unafraid to buy used, I think the equation will be much different.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If the EP3 had the new sensor, improved IBIS, and the flip-screen, I'd buy it - the weather-proofing and integral EVF don't mean much to me. But it doesn't and it remains to be seen if new Pen models will (I'm sure they'll get the new sensor, but not necessarily the rest). But the flip screen and low light are very high on my list of what matters, so faced with choosing between a camera with those features and without, its an easy call. I bought the EPL3 instead of the EP3 specifically because of the screen. But I liked the controls and feel of the EP3 quite a bit more. The OMD offers the best of those two cameras plus some advantages that neither have. Having a touch screen that flips up might actually get me to use the touch function sometimes in street shooting. The quiet shutter is another unanticipated but hugely welcome bonus. The ONLY thing I'd rather not have on the new camera is the hump, and I don't think it'll bother me - but if I'd designed it, I'd have done it differently.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I fully agree Ray, OMD offers the best of EPL3 and EP3 and new sensor is an icing on the cake . Now one thing I have failed to understand , Why diddnt Olympus launch all these models together ? I mean EPM1, EPL3, EP3 and then flagship OM-D with newer sensor this year ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have to assume its because they had those three ready about six months before the OMD and if they hadn't, releasing them all together would have cost them sales. I, for example, eagerly bought the EPL3 (after briefly trying the EP3) and now will almost definitely buy the OMD. If they'd released them all together, I'd have just bought the OMD. And in another six months they'll probably come out with updated Pens and, if one of those hits all of the right buttons and doesn't have the hump, I can't guarantee I won't sell the EPL3 for one of those at that point. They know what they're doing!

-Ray

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Looking up on DPR, the announcements are 7 months apart. Not sure when the EP3 actually shipped, but it was announced June 30, 2011.

in general (not directed at Ray): Having worked in high tech sales and marketing since 1994, including a stint in CE (consumer electronics) I can say this -- I have never known a time where a manufacturer had a bunch of models all ready, and released them one at a time over the next two years. I think tech moves too quickly. You release the best you have at any given time, because you don't know what your competitor is about to release that will eat your lunch.

Also, for Oly as a cash-strapped company, they could have used (needed?) the great sales on the last m43 series (EP3/EPL3/EPM1) to justify investment/acceleration/release of OMD.

7. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    If they release an ep-4 with most of the whistles and bells of the OM-D (minus the weathersealing and built-in EVF) and say $300 cheaper, I'd probably get it over the OM-D.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'd really like a built-in EVF, but like Ray, I prefer it on the left.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Unless you absolutely need a camera now (in which case the EPS is your only available option), wait until test reports and user reports come in. Right now no one knows how good the performance will really be. AF? Oly's claims are suspect. DR? Who knows. High ISO performance? Probably at least as good as the G3, but we don't really know. Is the IBIS really as good as claimed, especially for video?

How well does the camera really handle? How often do you need to use the touchscreen to perform common functions?

No one can answer these questions yet.

10. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Based on previous experience with Oly, I'm willing to take it on faith that:

1 - the AF will be at least as good as the EP3, EPL3, and EPM1 and if its better, that's just a bonus.

2 - DR, should be at least on a par with the G3/GX1

3 - High ISO, also at least on par with G3/GX1

4 - IBIS will likely be at least as good as previous Pens, possibly a good deal better.

5 - The handling will be at least as good as the EP3 with button and dial placement I like better. The grip is the only question, but I suspect at least as good as any of the current pens.

6 - To the extent the touchscreen CAN be used for more than the one on the EP3 (which was literally only for focus point and/or focus point plus shutter release), that you won't HAVE to use it for much if you don't want to. There wouldn't be soooo many external controls if you HAD to use the touchscreen.

Based on these items that I'm reasonably certain of (obviously there COULD be a terrible glitch somewhere, but Oly and Pany have been very good about avoiding those), I'm willing to take a chance. If its BETTER than my assumptions, GREAT. If its not, GREAT. The combination of features and controls and physical layout is enough to get me moving it this direction. And if there is something really terribly wrong with it, well, that's what return periods are for...

-Ray

11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

ditto

12. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I don't care for the hump either. I don't think anybody does but for those struck by the nostalgia of the original film cams. But the camera is so good on so many levels that we are scooping it up despite the silly pyramid on top.

I wonder if Oly will pick up on this? My thoughts are, If there has to be a hump put it on one side and make it flat and squarish. Or make the entire camera 1/4 inch taller. Anyway, the pyramid needs to go away. Its not a deal killer but it sure is a drag on the romance aspect of this camera. :smile:

13. on_arb

on_arb Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Philippines
    yeah, i hope that their new designs would be somewhat like that of EP3's or 60-70's rangefinder style design.

14. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Yesterday I compared the shadows of my E-PL2 and the G3 on DPR to see what benefit there would be from a newer sensor and it is quite significant.

Assuming that the OMD sensor is at least that good and I would have the benefit of two custom dials right at the shutter button, I would definitely go with the OMD. Everything else is a super bonus to me!

Dan

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    According to Toshi (Product and Planning Manager for Olympus Imaging), the main purpose in needing a built-in EVF is for stability when holding long telephoto lenses and such. This is achieved with the eye-level viewfinder directly in line with the lens. That's why they didn't put it off to the side, not just for looks.

• Like Like x 1