Olympus OM-D or Canon T4i

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by franciscosumma, Dec 4, 2012.

1. franciscosumma

franciscosumma New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm with a huge doubt.

Olympus OM-D + 14-42mm + 40-150mm + 45mm ~= $1750
    OR
    Canon T4i + 18-55mm + 55-250mm + 50mm ~=$1160

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Rebel = noticably inferior still and video image quality, vastly inferior image stabilization when shooting video, twice the bulk. But resale value is better with the Rebel.

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    The Canon combo is far cheaper than that right now. You can get the T4i + 18-55mm + 55-250mm bundle for $700. Cheaper if you are willing to buy that bundle + the printer for $800 and then sell off the printer. The printer is $400 retail, you should be able to get at least $200 for it. A nifty fifty will run you about $120 if you wait for a sale. So that T4i bundle you are considering is really about $720-820 or about $300-$400 cheaper than you have it priced out.

4. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    even though I recently bought a E-PL1 :43:... I've been a Canon shooter for a long long time, based on the raw availability of different lenses (canon and aftermarket) and their prices, I'd LOVE to have a T3i or T4i

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The OMD is a lot more expensive for a good reason. It's more of a competitor to the 60D or even the 7D.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The bigger question is yourself as a photographer and your needs. That will help greatly to figure which package is better.

8. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    Not the be-all end-all, but the DXO scores help.

Comparison of t4i and OMD here

9. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    You're asking a Micro Four Thirds forum which of the two to buy. That's like going to the Ferrari forum and asking if you should buy the Porsche 918 or the Ferrari FF.

Point being, we'll be biased here. Either camera will meet and exceed your needs just well. I wouldn't count on resale value--It's not a property on the Laguna Beach front--it's a camera to use. Value will only be as good as how much you, using it, would put on it.

The Canon option is cheaper in the long run. Way, way more lenses than Panasonic or Olympus will release in the next several years, counting aftermarket native ones. (Mark my words, all of you.) I wouldn't go for the 55-250 myself (Had one, was too soft and bunches of other stuff), but the nifty fifty, for the dollar it's a pretty good lens. Go for it if you want, though.

That said, if it was JUST those two bodies I had to choose between, it'd be the OM-D. It meets my needs.

Do they fit yours?

10. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I recenetly sold off my boring t4i, this camera put me to sleep, it is uninspiring.

can it shoot a good image? of course it can...

in its place I got the OMD EM-5,

I think I have divorced boring, dull, uninspired Canon for good, and I have had a Canon Camera for years.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    if size and weight do not matter and you have friends that have canon lens to borrow use
    get the canon great cameras for the money
    the model you are looking at wont be as nice image wise as the OMD but still very very good quality and better than what we had a few years ago

if size and weight are a concern get the OMD
    if budget is more a concern get the canon !

if it were for my kids in the park I might go canon
    but the flip side I might tend not to bring the canon as much since the size weight gets in the way !

I would not get hung up on the choice try them both out
    get what you like in your hands and will be happy with :)

12. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    perhaps... but the lenses, I look at the overall selection of m4/3 lenses (ignoring that you can get adapters for just about anything), and the available Canon EOS lenses. The m4/3 has probably the most basic selection of lenses, especially primes, of any camera I've seen... Canon, by far, always has had the most of any brand.

edit
    actually... too bad you already sold it off, if you'd part with it for a steal I'd have taken it LOL

13. Agree that the T4i is not the Canon equivalent of the OM-D. Do you have much understanding of the different functionalities of the two cameras? They each have their advantages, but one of those are the size of the system around each camera which may be of no relevance if you never expand much further beyond the kits listed. I personally wouldn't invest any further in a brand new DSLR.

As for differences in image quality, the E-M5 produces higher numbers in a direct comparison of sensors, but rating one above the other will be mostly a matter of taste.

14. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I find Canon's lens selection to be obnoxious, as they push you hard towards full frame and zooms. The EF-S lenses are a janky collection of mediocrity. You don't even get a normal prime.

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi :smile:
    There is nothing wrong in asking suggestions for a camera. Canon T4i is a wonderful machine though a bit bulky and big . As many pointed out you can easily pick up Canon for a much better price than OMD but I would suggest you to have a look at Olympus EPL5 which is cheaper than OMD and WR doesnt seem to be your priority. EPL5 will offer you same IQ as OMD but at half price . Body only EPL5 = USD 549+ Panny 20 mm 1.7 USD 330+ Oly 45mm 1.8 USD 300+ Oly 40-150 USD 199= 1378 and you one of best possible combo in MFT .It would light on ur bank and back.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    But how many of those lenses have you actually owned? How many of the "extra" lenses in the Canon collection fit into the photography you do that m4/3 doesn't have? Certainly you'll need to shoot on the Canon if you *need* the 17mm T/S or the 600 f4L. But how many kits zooms does a system need before it has enough? Or variable aperture telephoto zooms? And that's what 90% of camera buyers use 95% of the time.

Canon and Nikon love to put photos of their lens range in the same add as a $500.00 camera body. It's beautifully catering to the egos of the shoppers who end up with a twin lens kit or a 28-300 uber zoom. But there's always the thought that "if I want i can race out and get all those extra lenses and I'll be a better photographer. Just like a pro."

If m4/3 has the lenses you desire to fill out the kit you want then the extra lenses of other systems are irrelevant. If not then your decision is made for you.

I also find the comment about the lack of m4/3 primes interesting. Currently we have a very good equivalent to a 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 90mm, 120mm and 150mm. And theres a 85mm equiv on the way and a possible 300mm equiv. That's a good line up. And they're all really good lenses. Some of them are the equal or better than the L lenses from Canon or the top lenses from other systems. Compare that to ANY other mirrorless setup. Fuji? NEX? Samsung?

It seems we see the system differently. I've come back to m4/3 specifically because it has the best lens selection of any mirrorless system, especially in the primes and constant aperture zooms.

Gordon

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  17. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    don't get me wrong, I really like my m43... but the type(s) of photography I did were mostly with wide/super-wide lenses (24mm or smaller focal length for 35mm film). I look at the Panasonic 12-35mm, the "ideal" lens for me, and the price for a used one feels like a kick in the testicles. My 17-35mm EOS lens, I paid half (2/3?).

18. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    correction... I'd take the 7-14mm if they would take a Kidney (does it have to be mine??) as payment

19. There are currently more Micro 4/3 lenses than I want/need even if I don't include those announced but not yet released, let alone the Canon lenses. The ability to use 100+ fully compatible lenses is a theoretical advantage but less of a practical advantage.

20. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Having shot Canon DSLRs for the last 8 years, and pro bodies the last three, I would not compare the T4i with an OM-D. It's like comparing the T4i to the 7D or and older 1DmkIIn even. They will all do fine within the conditions they are designed to perform in. The main difference, in my experience, is that the semi-pro and pro bodies can perform extremely well in a wider range of conditions than the consumer branded bodies. Weather related conditions, action-speed conditions (fast focus lock with multiple focus points), multiple presets to quickly switch settings for varying conditions, etc. I owned the T3i for a few months for some video projects and decided it wasn't worth carrying around as I had a Canon FF and Canon pro body as well as a Panasonic GH body that was better for video anyway. If you want a hybrid camera (one for stills and video), you should probably choose the OM-D. If you are more into stills than video, the OM-D is great. If more into video than stills, you might want to look at the GH3. If you never foresee yourself on long hikes with two to four lenses, wanting to brave wind and rain, or shooting landscapes in pre dawn or post dusk without a tripod handy, then the Canon will probably be more than capable.