1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D + FL600R Problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jonasval, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jonasval

jonasval New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2013
    Hi, I hope this is in the correct forum.

I'm a happy owner of Olympus OM-D. I'm coming from the Canon DSLR world so I'm still getting used to things.

I've got a FL600R flash that I wanted to use with my Olympus OM-D. Mainly off camera for portrait and macro work.

Whenever I use the clip on flash to trigger the FL600R it acts as a fill in flash as well. Which I don't want it to be. This happens when my lens is wide open (f/1.7 - 3.5). Is there a way to avoid this? Will the pop up flash always interfear with my main flash?

I used to have a Canon 580EX with a transmitter so I didn't have a problem with this before.

This is a big problem especially when I'm doing macro work.

Is the only alternative a remote trigger like pocket wizard?

Thanks for your help!

2. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't have access to my gear right now, but I'm pretty sure you can set the pop-up flash to off. Of course, the flash will still fire but only enough to send a signal to your off-camera unit. If you don't need ttl then you can always use a radio trigger on the OMD to fire your FL600R in manual mode.

~Randy

3. jonasval

jonasval New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2013
    Hi Randy, thanks a lot for you quick reply. I actually have the pop up flash set to off. But from my test it looked like this light signal was interfering with the rest of exposure (and acting as a slight fill in light).

This might just be a phantom of my imagination. Would be awesome to hear from your experience guys. Like I said I'm new to the Olympus world (but loving it!) and don't know yet how everything works.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could try putting some gel filters over the pop up.

I seem to recall Roscolux #27+#98 act as a decent NIR filter. The flashes communicate with NIR so the filters pass NIR but cut the visible light way down to avoid any fill flash effects.

Sorry, the vert axis is transmission and the horizontal is wavelength.

Roscolux27_98.

5. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Unfortunately, even with the pop-up set to off, it still fires and do a bit of fill. Nothing you can do about it. I tried everything and search the web and never found anything.

6. RobWatson

Roscolux 27+85 might work even better. Lucky me I have a book with like 200 types!

Roscolux27_85.

I just use a radio popper (Cactus v5) and go manual.

7. jonasval

jonasval New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks so much for your the reply guys!

After reading through the om-d manual I found this.

"If the subject is too close to the camera, the control flashes emitted by the camera flash may affect exposure. (The effect can be moderated by reducing the output of the camra flash using a diffuser or other similar techniques)"

So you are absolutely right. It's good to know that this is normal and not just something in my head or wrong setting on my part.

I can live with this for now and get a radio transmitter later down the road.

Again thanks a lot!

8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I found that the shoe mount commander flash fires a little bit as well. Redirect it, if need be. Or switch to a longer lens where fall-off takes care of its unwanted intervention.

9. jonasval

jonasval New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2013
    RobWatson, do you recommend the Cactus v5?

10. RobWatson

I use it and am satisfied. All manual only - no TTL. Fairly inexpensive.

11. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    I have not tried this myself. But have you tried covering the clip on with black gaffer's tape. I have read and seen the clip on covered by a translucent old film canister (Fuji slide film) that was cut to fit the head to provide diffusion. You can cover it instead with an opaque old film canister (Kodak color film). This will block whatever output the clip on gives and the price is less than a gel filter. You can have both canisters in your bag for ready use.

John S.

12. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
  13. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Hope no one minds a question. I have never used triggers and was wondering if I could use both my 580 ex as well as my fl600. Since it is manual I would assume that would be supported. If so that gives me some serious lighting options.
    Thanks.

14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

An effective way to still use the clip on flash to trigger an off camera flash in RC mode (i.e. not slave mode) without impacting on the exposure is to deflect the trigger flash by something as simple as a white card or make a small snoot to direct the trigger flash in a suitable direction for the FL600 or other RC triggered flash (such as FL36R & FL50R) away from the subject. There are three settings for the trigger flash strength or brightness, HI, MED or LO & if LO is sufficient, then all the better. The RC system is a very effective & conveniant trigger system, but that little bit of false lighting just needs the work around & then it's fine.

I hope that helps.

15. RobWatson

16. RobWatson

I don't see why not ... I'd be tempted to use a TTL cable with the 600 and slave the 580 ... no need for triggers at all!

I use one trigger on my old Vivitar 3700 and optical slave a YN560 and it is nice to have two flashes off camera. I find some situations troubling when the YN560 cannot "see" the Vivitar so that is where the two receivers up a few posts would come in handy.

You are right in that options are nice to have!

17. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Yes, you can. I mix Yong Nuo and Sigma flashes. You could mix a SB-800 with that without a problem either since you are fully manual.

18. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Another question, a little different. I am keeping my Canon equipment, a 7D. Is there a flash that I could put on the hot shoe that will work with both cameras or am I going to wind up with two flash systems? I mostly use ETTL.

19. RobWatson

I think there will be peace in the middle east before TTL flashes become platform independent.