Olympus OM-D EM-1 and trekking, and tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Intxi, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Intxi

Intxi New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2014
    Hello,

I looking a way to transport my EM1 when I'm going to trekking and hikking. I would like to have easy access to my camara.

Also I'm looking for a tripod, it have to be light and stable.

Thank you very much

2. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Peak Design have just the product for you.

I got one for my EM-1 - and it has been fantastic during hikes (I'm tend to run fairly hard), for walking around city - doing burger and beer cycling in Ft Lauderdale, animal spotting cycling in the Everglades, and just a way to hold the camera so I don't need to get it out of a bag, an dnot have it swinging around on a strap.

Get one with an Arca Swiss plate, and you'll be able to use any number of Arca heads for a tripod.

I'm using a Photoclam PC-30N ball head, and a Benro Carbon C058 tripod - very light combo (about 2lbs) and fairly compact, too. I travel a lot, so small, light but high quality with "reasonable" price were my requirements.

Z..

3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I currently use a Feisol carbon fiber tripod, It is light, sturdy and folds to a compact size. I usually carry it in a bag slung over my shoulder.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I find those quick release clamps, straps and similar devices the scariest things in the world when it comes to attaching cameras. Sure, the lock is rated for 200lbs, but for how much is the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera rated and under what conditions? I think I'd much rather just have a pouch into which you drop the camera when not needed, which also gives the camera/lens some environmental protection. There are lots of mini-backpacks/ouches available that are easy to put on and take off and give quick/easy access to your gear.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

As did I - but trying is believing.

Z...

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There's no way that I'm going to put $4000 worth of camera gear onto one of those quick release clips. I once had a waist bag with a lens etc unclip and drop into a river; after that, I have never given the benefit of the doubt to any quick release, be it plastic or metal. It's a quick release for a reason.

7. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well, it does depend on what you are clipping to it. I wouldn't be putting a 1D-X and an EF400F2.8 on it, that would be stupidly uncomfortable, for a start. An EM-1 with a 12-40 is perfectly fine, on the other hand.

Horses for courses, and all that..

Z...

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My minimum would be an E-M1 and 14-35mm f2 lens. I would rather have that on the camera strap over my shoulder, with the camera effectively resting behind my back, than bumping on my chest. But when pushing through scrub and the like, I'd rather have everything packed away and hands etc free to negotiate obstacles. If you happen to slip or whatever, then a camera on your chest isn't the best place for it to reside. But since the OP doesn't provide details of the likely conditions etc, we have no real idea of the potential risks involved and what else needs to be carried on his treks.

9. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

As I said, depends on what you are doing. I never said it was a "solve all", just a probable solution for the OP's request.

I don't have a 14-35 F2 for testing, but no bumping with a 12-40 - and as I said, I'm pretty full on with my hikes, I don't just dawdle around.

I can see larger lenses having issues, of course.

Z...

10. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    Top-loading chest packs/holsters carried at the chest via comfortable 4 or 6 point harnesses or clipped to a day pack or backpacking bag -- that's the way to go if you want a more comfortable hiking, skiing, cycling solution that provides a lens-swapping platform, protection, and very quick access. The Think Tnak Harness seems to be worth the extra for comfort and adjustablity.

Think Tank, LowePro, and Click Elite seem to have done a lot right, like having the top flap open AWAY from the torso (wake up, Tamrac and others!). You just have to buy one of the long telephoto sizes to carry more lens -- and maybe attach an external pocket or lens case if you have even more glass to carry. This puts camera, glass, cleaning items, batteries, memory cards up front for instant access, and only tripod need be carried via shoulder case, daypack, or backpack.

11. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I use an Artisan & Artist Easy Slider. It keeps my camera tight up against my body when not in use and with one pull on the D-ring, it loosens and I'm ready to shoot. Another tug on the D-ring upwards and it's cinched up against my body. Expensive but for me, worth every penny.

acam-e38r_3.

12. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    While I love using the Spider Black Widow clip to carry a camera on my belt, I don't when hiking. Too many chances to fall or bang it up like that. I'll keep the camera in a holster bag worn a my belt; my choice is the Think Tank holster 10 for m43 cameras. Easy to get out, easy to put back.

13. Intxi

Intxi New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2014
    Thak you very much, now I have an idea about what I have to find.

14. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I have a meFoto backpacker and I was pleasantly surprised at how light it was and how stable. It is not in the same realm as the Manfrotto CX055 but it fits in the bag with the CX055 no problem.

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The quick strap like BlackRapid etc together with a Holster or Top Loader bag (Lowepro) on a belt might be a good way to go.

16. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Very easy fix for that. I use the Peak Design capture clip in conduction with their camera leash. I clip the leash to the shoulder straps on my backpack opposite the clip itself or down on my waist belt. I've used it quite a bit mountaineering, ice climbing, rock climbing and hiking in general on countless 12+ hours days in the wilderness and its not cumbersome at all. I've never had an issue with the clip itself but if I did I know my camera isn't going to go anywhere since i've also got the leash attached.