1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Video IQ vs. Nex & all other APSC cameras (video IQ only)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fooddude, May 23, 2012.

1. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I've been trying to find video IQ comparisons for the OMD vs really good apsc cameras (like it's very close competitor, Nex) I've only found these...
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/41692225]Sony NEX-7 quick video test, image stabilization (compare to Olympus OM-D E-M5) on Vimeo[/ame]
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/41692296]Olympus OM-D E-M5 quick video test, image stabilization (compare to Sony NEX-7) on Vimeo[/ame]

These two videos are meant to really show and test the IBIS...but if you take you attention away from the IBIS for a moment, lol..and concentrate on video IQ (view both videos at non-HD, to make it even/fair)...is it me, or does the OMD video look better than the Nex 7

Notice the trash can bag wrinkles (they are visible on the OMD, and not the Nex which are smoothed out and detail-less). Now, look at the AC vents (the OMD still make out the slits, whereas the Nex-7 just blurs it out and it smooth/solid). Lastly, look at the blinds (the OMD maintains DR better and you can still see color and a pattern in the blinds, whereas the Nex-7 is nothing but a smudge).

Also this video of course: OMD vs XPro: You can clearly see that OMD was made and meant to put out high quality video, and that Fuji is still just an afterthought. The quality of the OMD's videos' internal compression/processing is quite breathtaking in this, and even makes me scratch my head and makes me think that it may be even better than my 5N. Afterall, HD video are just a bunch 3mp images that are super-compressed from all these huge mp sensors..so it really has all got to do with the internal compression and processing (which I have a big feeling, Olympus put in a lot of time and thought into, making the OMD shoot amazing video:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-wnypCNFhk]Olympus OM-D E-M5 HD Video Quality and vs Fuji X-Pro 1! All handheld! - YouTube[/ame]

Seems realistic...as the first/past m43 Olympus cameras were only 2nd to Panasonic's, regarding video IQ, and Olympus needed to catch up; especially being a Classic and Old-School company, like Canon, Leica, etc (there were never even Sony nor Panasonic cameras 20+ years ago). Olympus seems always at the forefront with the newest technological advances, being a more inexpensive company (compared to Canon and Leica) and needing to offer that extra "edge" to compete and be at the same level with the big boys (canon, and leica, whom build reputation and integrity based more on classical-designs and high quality.. rather than new and hi-tech-advances like Oly).

And, many people complained and asked to improve the video to stack up to the Panasonics - iso, IQ, jello, DR.... And they did :biggrin:

Any videos or info comparing the OMD's video IQ vs other m43, Nex and other apsc cameras, please post :smile:

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Real world clips like on Steve Huffs site make the IS look pretty good. But the test on Vimeo looks awful - the window (especially) seems to be widening and narrowing.

Is the EM5 using sensor shift for video at all or is it a software "trick" like the E-P3?

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have to say that the Vimeo clip does look pretty bad. The OMD video seems to have better detail but the room seems to be "flexing". I wouldn't find that acceptable under any circumstances. If that is caused by the 5 axis IS then I would turn IS off and use a tripod when shooting video with an EM-5. That looks just like the jello effect I would get on my E-P3 and E-PM1 when using IS with video.

I think I'll stick with my GH2.

• Like Like x 1
  4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    OM-D is a sleeper video camera. I bought it mostly for that purpose and I'll be selling my "top of the line" Panasonic TM900 camcorder because it can't produce video that is a bright and colorful as my OM-D (hence it doesn't look as good on YouTube). The audio of the OM-D is also superior to the TM900.

Too bad I do not like the still images of the OM-D. Landscape details are smeared out as compared to my E-PL1, and the overall brightness of the OM-D's images is paler. So I end up taking nearly all my still images with the E-PL1 and nearly all the videos with the OM-D.

5. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Does anyone own both an OM-D and also a Nex-7/5N??

I'd (and I'm sure everyone else) would love to see a proper video IQ comparison of the OMD vs Nex-7/5n... on tripod, with the same lens, same setting/scene, same lighting, at diff f-stops, diff iso's, etc... that will compare their sharpness, color, DR, iso, etc., etc.

(no need to compare to a GH2, we all know that thing is a monster and 5d2 killer already when hacked (and people will already surely hack it, so no point in a OMD vs GH2 comparison), lol)

Since the magical OMD is a very very new camera, of course there aren't any nice comparo-vids.. Yet.

Any OMD+NEX owners care to make one?? :)

I'm sure you'll get a lot of hits/views on your YT or Vimeo acct too..if that interests you, hehe

6. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    This video demonstrates much better Jello in the OMD than the past Pens:
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 video rolling shutter jello effect cured? - YouTube

Also...I think those vimeo clips, the user is Marching/walking in place, just to test out the ibis in somewhat more extreme video conditions...which I would never do in the first place while I am shooting video.

7. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    There is this video of the IBIS in action with both an E-M5 and GH2 mounted on a copter:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/41218275]OMD-EM2 Side-by-Side to a GH2 on Vimeo[/ame]

8. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    You're doing it wrong. :smile:

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I still wouldn't be satisfied with that for video. If the IS produces that kind of effect when simply walking in place I would turn it off and learn to hold the camera more steady. FWIW I don't think whatever movement the person shooting the stuff on Vimeo is doing can be called "extreme". It looks like pretty simple walking around. The kind of thing you might do when on vacation.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think that's a better example of the IS working well. Interestingly, when you look at the video IQ I think the GH2 looks a bit more detailed. Of course that stands to reason as the GH2 is higher true resolution than the OMD. That said, I think the OMD delivers very good video. I wouldn't trade my GH2 for it if video was what I was primarily interested in but it seems do a nice job.

11. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    The GH2 will always have a higher bitrate and be sharper (especially with the hack)...that's already the same league as 5d2/3 when hacked..so I wouldn't even try to compare the OMD to the GH2, kinda pointless as we'll already know the outcome.

But, a much better comparison would be the OMD vs Nex cameras, since they're both close competitors (although diff size sensors) and marketed towards the same group of consumers.. being that they are both similar in price, aesthetics/size (and also both unhackable, for all the video people)

I really want to see that IQ comparison. Many Nex users, including me, are very interested in the OMD.

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You can tell which one is the Olympus in the side-by-side comparison by those great colors; the video quality is equal.

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Agree that the color is a dead giveaway, the OMD video is good and the IS really gets to show off but the video quality does not look equal to me. The GH2 looks sharper and more detailed. I suppose that could be attributed to differences in the lens used (I didn't notice if it said what that was). Of course the GH2 has higher resolution so I would expect it to be sharper. That said, they're both quite good.

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    it would be nice if the NEX/OMD video test could use an adapted lens (like a Super Takumar 50/1.4) so differences in the lens quality is not an issue. It is my understanding that NEX kit lenses are not all that inspiring.

15. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Yes yes...same MF lens, tripod, similar scene, same exposure, etc. At 200iso for high quality comparo..and also a 1600 and 3200 for low-light/noise comparo.

It'd be nice to see what kind of video output the OMD generates, and how it's internal processing/compression into hd video compares to the Nex.

Anyone? Theres gotta be an owner of the omd and nex, that's willing to do a test, haha.

...my 5N just sold on ebay literally a few hours ago...so no turning back now haha.... IBIS, here I coome! :)

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    E-M5 looks brighter, more colorful and slightly sharper and more detailed to my eyes:
    em5gh2.

17. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    You can't really compare vid quality with that video. It needs to be a static shot on tripod. Too much movement blur in that video. And, color is hard to judge, as internal settings differ from camera to camera (as well as contrast and sharpness, etc.). We also do not know how much each video is compressed during editing/exporting. GH2 has been around longer, so there are more suggestions of nicer, flatter, natural color profiles and settings already; whereas, the OMD, hardly anyone has experimented with better color and image profiles for video. But, I do notice many OMD videos are waay too saturated and contrasty. I too prefer a natural, flatter, lower contrast, video images.

I think it's pointless to even try to compare the GH2 to the OMD... it's hackable too. If anyone owns a GH2 and wants the best video; just hack it and it'll be better than the 5D2.

The Nex 5n/7 on the other hand... which isn't hackable, like the OMD.. should be a much more desired and wanted comparison.

edit:
    ...when you disregard the IBIS, the color, the sharpness and the contrast... did anyone else notice in the OMD vs GH2 video above, that the OMD has a MUCH better dynamic range?? The skies are totally blown out on the GH2's side. I read recently, that the OMD has the best m43 sensor to date and is around 1-2stops better in DR than past m43 cameras. Hmmmm :)

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    OM-D can shoot in blander natural and muted color modes if you like that and you can dial down the contrast, but in all modes the video will be relatively bright whereas GH2 video tends to look somewhat darkish, as though the camera was wearing a pair of mild sunglasses.

19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I don't have the OM-D, but I happen to have both the NEX-7 and the GH2. I think it will be interesting comparison in terms of video IQ.

(By the way, stills IQ of the NEX-7 is a mixed bag compared to the GH2. The NEX-7 produces images that are more noisy, but its dynamic range is huge compared to the GH2. And oh boy, Sony NEX lenses are not good at all with the exception of the 24mm Zeiss which is a $1000 lens.)

20. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    To me the Oly colors (in video mode) are fake and the detail is missing. The over saturated colors work for stills, not for video. While you can change that in post, unfortunately you cannot do anything about the lack of detail. After years since it was released the GH2 still has the best video though the IS in Oly is impressive.