Olympus OM-D E-M5 & Special lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RaZZ3R, Feb 23, 2013.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I'm wondering how would the OM-D function with the Canon MP-E 65mm f 2.8 Macro especially the power of IS beyond 1:1 magnification. I know that IS will be able to stabilize less and less with more magnification/closer minimum focus but I'm hoping that the excellent IBIS would make at least 2x-2.5x usable. I'm really sad about no interest in Tilt-Shift lens, native mount please, for Micro Four Thirds, even the ultra wide angle Canon 17mm is only 34mm on any Micro Four Thirds and that's now wide enough for Landscape and Panoramas.

Although I would go back to APS-C for specialized lenses like the Canon 5x Macro and/or the Tilt-Shift one the weight keeps haunting me, more so after an accident that really put a pressure on my bones and joints of my hands (and I'm only 24 and can't make a good strait line with a pencil) and it will only get more difficult from now on. I think I'm going to upgrade my Panasonic G2 soon (in summer maybe) instead of jumping ships (if only Samsung had IBIS on NX I would have bought it yesterday), that is if Oly doesn't get the 2nd generation of OM-D out this year (please make WiFi built-in).

2. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    The IS should help, but I am pretty sure you will need to play with the IS focal length setting to find out what setting works best, and I am pretty sure that setting will need to change as your macro level changes.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    If it is possible to use the Metabones Speedbooster for μ43 (coming in March) with a TS lens, then the Canon 17mm would function as a 12mm on a μ43 camera, which would give you much of what you're looking for. However, it may not be possible simply because of how a tilted or shifted image circle interacts with the lens elements within the Speedbooster and to the best of my knowledge, Metabones has said nothing about the compatibility of such lenses.

But yes, like you, I wish that there were a native tilt-shift lens for μ43. As it stands, the easiest thing to do right now is to stitch multiple images and then make straight lines in post-processing. But that only deals with half the feature set of tilt-shift and even then isn't always feasible or possible. We need a native solution.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are a couple of tilt/shift options for m4/3. First there is a lens under development.

Surprise! New 15mm Shift lens for Micro Four Thirds! | 43 Rumors

There are also adaptors that allow either tilt or shift and maybe even both. First is the Lensbaby Tilt Transformer that will fit any Nikkor F mount lens to m4/3 and allow tilting. Then there are numerous shift adaptors for most of the old camera mounts. There might even be an adaptor that allows both but I have not seen one personally.

I realize for architecture the shift is more important than the tilt and that for best results you use both together. Keep in mind that m4/3 is still a new system and mainly focused at the mainstream and not the specialized. In time I am sure there will be several tilt/shift native lenses.

5. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    It might be interesting to use Metabones Speedbooster for such a feat but thinking about it really hurts my brains :dash2: : ~600$ Adaptor + 2500$ Lens = An DSLR & a 24mm Tilt-Shif Lens even if it's used rarely or non-professional.

Yeah, I tried that and it didn't go so well, although I do blame my self for not having a panoramic head (or money for one at the current moment). Here's one of the examples:

[​IMG]