1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Review Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by Miserere, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Miserere

Miserere EnticingTheLight.com

Mar 18, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Oh, I agree, the thumbgrip is a great addition...it's the fact that it hides the Fn1 button from my thumb that I found problematic. Maybe it's because my thumbs are as big as this guy's --> :2thumbs:

2. mancunianlad

mancunianlad New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks for the very honest review. I've had my E-M5 for a couple of months now and it's ably covered my wedding as well as a trip to hot and rainy Borneo. I love this camera.

I've wanted to buy myself a 'good' camera for ages (having only possessed different point and shoots over the years). I researched the space for 6 months earlier this year and I found myself yo-yoing between getting a DSLR (possibly a Canon 7D or Nikon D7000) and a CSC (ranging from Panasonic Gx1, Sony Nex 7, Fuji x100 or xPro, Oly E-M5). I knew the specs for all the cameras in my price range from my research (and each had their pros and cons) and yet in the end it all boiled down to half an hour in a camera shop in London. In fact, it's safe to say that the E-M5 was the last choice on my short list. And yet when I picked it up and started playing with it I just knew this was the one. I surprised myself.

I hadn't realised until that point that probably the most important factor was what it felt like to handle. I know I have dainty hands so maybe this helps. But every time I pick up this camera I don't want to put it down. I don't particularly like the 'mushy' feel to the buttons and the fn keys can be difficult to find when I'm composing a shot but I think you just get used to it. I don't particularly like the labyrinthine menu system (I am waiting for the day that someone writes a decent guide for this camera). But I love its weight, its quality construction, the EVF, and the pictures are pretty good too even in my amateur hands. I've also just discovered legacy Oly Zuiko lenses (via an adapter). Yesterday evening I took 20 shots of a radiator grill in the back bedroom. Slightly obsessive :) 

Anyway this is turning into an unnecessarily long post when all I wanted to say is that in my buying experience the most important part of the process was actually having each camera in hand. And for me the E-M5 was love at first touch.

3. michaelkj

michaelkj New to Mu-43

May 19, 2012
    In Custom Menu E (Exp/ISO) you can change ISO-Auto from the default P/A/S to All

4. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Very good, fair review.

I'm lucky that my hands are not very big, I guess. I don't really have any ergonomic issues with the OMD EM5.

5. Miserere

Miserere EnticingTheLight.com

Mar 18, 2012
    Boston, MA
    This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.