Olympus OM-D E-M5 normal focus behaviour?

Tineke

New to Mu-43
Hey,
So I bought the camera used a year ago and I've always wondered if this is normal. When I focus there's this slight movement (zoom) on the screen. I can't really tell if it's an issue with the lens (12-50mm), the body or just how old DLSM used to work since I usually shoot with an DLSR.
I haven't really found any severe issue with the pictures I took.. It's just something that irritates me.
Attached you can see a gif of me continuously pressing the focus button.
From what I can tell from the videos on YouTube that's not nornal?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Do you mean you keep pressing and releasing? In that case what you see is normal. Each time you press it snaps into focus. Why keep doing it?

Tineke

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you mean you keep pressing and releasing? In that case what you see is normal. Each time you press it snaps into focus. Why keep doing it?
Well I'm doing it repeatedly here to illustrate the behavior. Because when I'm zoomed in at a certain length and focus and suddenly I see this "shaking" I cant tell if this is due to a slight changes in focus length which may be cause by some sort of software / mechanical issue or plain normal since I only have experience with DLSRs which would've allowed me to use the optical or digital viewfinder to rule either one out.
(I think this effect is most noticeable on the edges of the screen)

Thank you two for your input :)

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
There have been times when I see the slight focus shift too.

I've done a lot of AF focus tuning and seen the effect. Sometimes it happens when I stab at the shutter button, and then pressing it further and it changes a slight amount. Could be some noise in the shutter button switch as with my AF tuning it sometimes drops out of C-AF used for AF tuning into S-AF mode in the testing software which then complains about the C-AF>S-AF error (i.e. LensAlign software.). Ideally it shouldn't do that, but it does. I don't see it as much in the E-M!X body compared to my E1 Mark II. The E-M1X may have a better switch design.

Anyway, as long as it's sharp in the final image I ignore it.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It could also be the IBIS operating, when it starts you will see a movement in the viewfinder.

Tineke

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for your help! Have a great day

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
It could also be the IBIS operating, when it starts you will see a movement in the viewfinder.
Yes, I agree that it is the IBIS. Some people celebrate the use of IBIS to help them just looking at say a bird (especially with a long FL), because the image stops shaking around. When it first deploys, you do get a slight change in the display, I have found.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom