Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk 1 redux

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
My kind brother just gave me assorted lenses and an OM-D E-M5 Mk 1. The camera only has about 4,900 shutter actuations and is very clean. It has firmware 1.2, so I need to get a cable (ordered) to upgrade to the latest 2.3 firmware. I am sure that the photographs will be unusable 🙃 since the camera is out of production.

For landscapes, portraits, and still life photos, despite the TruePic VI processor and only 35 focal points, it will be a nice lightweight kit together with a lens such as the Olympus 17/1.8, the Olympus 45/1.8, or the Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6. It actually supports the Panasonic 100-400 f4.0-6.3, but the only shot I tried was handhold at 1/5 second (at 100mm, f4.0, ISO 1600). How can I ever be satisfied with such performance? 🙄

E-M5 and 100-400.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fortunately, my photography is simply for enjoyment and not for making a living. But it all makes living rather nice.

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You can update the firmware in the E-m1 mark I using the alternative (i.e. non-official) method without using the Olympus specific cable:
Since I use Linux exclusively, I tend to use this method to update firmware instead of asking my wife what her current password is on her Windows system.

Olympus allows you to back out the firmware, so if a particular revision was buggy (i.e. E-m1 mark I version 4.5) you could back out the firmware willing waiting for an official fix (i.e. E-m1 mark I version 4.6). Lightsnowdev contains most of the versions (I think there may be a version or two missing, but it does include the E-m1 mark I version 4.5 firmware).

FWIW, Panasonic uses a similar system to update firmware (i.e. place the firmware on the card and use some magic combination of buttons when turning on the camera). However, Panasonic does not let you go back to previous firmware levels (just like the official Olympus method does not let you uninstall firmware releases).

Last edited:

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
Thank you, that worked perfectly.

You can update the firmware in the E-m1 mark I using the alternative (i.e. non-official) method without using the Olympus specific cable:
Since I use Linux exclusively, I tend to use this method to update firmware instead of asking my wife what her current password is on her Windows system.

Olympus allows you to back out the firmware, so if a particular revision was buggy (i.e. E-m1 mark I version 4.5) you could back out the firmware willing waiting for an official fix (i.e. E-m1 mark I version 4.6). Lightsnowdev contains most of the versions (I think there may be a version or two missing, but it does include the E-m1 mark I version 4.5 firmware).

FWIW, Panasonic uses a similar system to update firmware (i.e. place the firmware on the card and use some magic combination of buttons when turning on the camera). However, Panasonic does not let you go back to previous firmware levels (just like the official Olympus method does not let you uninstall firmware releases).

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Congratulations on your fine acquisition!
I owned, and used very frequently, an EM-5 Mk 1 for six years, and it never disappointed me!.

Zuiko1976

New to Mu-43
Since owning my first Olympus camera, an OM1 I bought as a young kid in 1976, and having shot various dslr brands in the past decade, I will have in my hands tomorrow -barring shipping snafu, my first m4/3 body. An OM-d em5 Mark 1. Pretty excited to say the least.
Have been shooting with a relic in the E-330 past year. Looking forward to mounting a 300 Zuiko f4.5 OM lens on it.

In past shot that lens on a e-520, so know it decently and loved the results. The em5 will be different but look forward to the higher fps and higher mp count. Having never looked thru the viewfinder of a m4/3 camera, I cannot wait!

I better get it right, mu-43 : )

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom