Olympus OM-D E-M5 jerky video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Scoob, May 19, 2013.

1. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    I recently purchased Olympus OM-D E-M5 and regardless of few slight annoyances it has been pretty much perfect tool for photography. Since the camera works so well with photos I have been bit disappointed by the fact that the video seems to be rather jerky when panning or displaying objects that move fast. In addition video seems to suffer of compression artifacts due to relatively low bitrate.

I tried to search the forum for solutions to no avail so I'm asking whether anyone knows how to solve the jerky movement while panning? The following video has been shot in 1080, 60I mode with shutter speed of 1/60. My Sony DSRL does not exhibit the same problem which is most likely because of the 1080 60p mode.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1QLvKckvOY]Olympus OMD EM5 sample video of jerky movements on bright scenes - YouTube[/ame]

2. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    In addition while I would never use digital teleconver when shooting photos I was rather disappointed to noticed that while shooting video and using digital teleconverter the camera seems to crop and upscale the picture instead of using center of the sensor as Panasonic cameras do.

3. Simonout

Simonout New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    Did you change your IBIS settings to allow for horizontal motion, while still providing IBIS for vertical motion? The stabilization will produce jerky video while panning if stabilized in the horizontal plane. No manual with me, but you should be able to adjust in the IBIS settings.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That does seem rather jerky. I took a video two days ago and I didn't see any of this characteristic (I don't take many videos). I'm assuming that you moved the mode switch to the movie setting. I know that you can take videos without putting it in that mode (just use the red button), but I don't recall what the differences are with that operation.

5. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    Thanks for the tips. Movie was shot in movie mode but I did not disable the image stabilization. I will try to shoot a movie in a similar situation without it. I have noticed that the jerky movement is more pronounced in bright and contrasty scenes.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What are you panning with? It seems too level and even to be hand-held so I am assuming you had it on a tripod? If so you need a fluid head for panning/tilting or video will be jerky. The in and out is auto focus{or perhaps you were changing the focus manually{that lens breaths baddly!}. Some of your problem may be the interlacing. I don't think the light is causing it, rather it is more obvious with bright and contrasty footage.

7. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    Video was shot just to demonstrate the jerky movement of the background that I have experienced. I did not enable manual focus as I would normally do when shooting video. Panning was done handheld but I believe that it should not affect on the jerky motion on the snow and buildings on the background.

I will do similar test with IBIS off to see whether panning will be smoother without it.

8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I agree. Disable IBIS or use IBIS setting "2". Setting "1" is full stabilization, setting "2" compensates properly for panning motion.

9. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    I have now done the tests without IBIS and the problem still exists. I have also tested all the different compression modes and it makes no difference. This problem does not exist on my Sony A65 and it is quite disappointing that EM5 has this problem as otherwise it is pretty perfect little camera for photography.

I sent E-mail to Olympus and asked whether they have any ideas how to fix the jerky movement but I'm afraid that it is something that cant be addressed by changing the camera settings.

10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Are you certain it's not a codec problem on your computer? Since it would have to use the bad codec to create a web video, it might still show the problem.

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    yeah... nobody has asked the question about what the workflow is after the shot is no longer on the SD card?

K

12. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback.

I uploaded the video straight to Youtube. Although it is Jerky even on screen of the camera. I have also tried it with a different UHS memory card and it made no difference.

I have noticed that the when I am using cameras LCD or viewfinder in A/S/M modes the picture I see is perfectly smooth. The problem arises only when I switch to movie mode or start recording a video which is when the stuttering begins.

Could you test panning against high contrast scene and see whether you can see similar jerky motion in the recorded video?

13. Qoo

Qoo New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2013
    Set gradation to normal?

14. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    Gradation is normal and I'm using picture mode 3 (natural) which is the default setting.

15. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Looks like skipping frames. Slow card maybe, camera settings (some of the art filters skip frames). Try a 95mB/s card or 640x480 mode.

16. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    Hi,

I have tested camera on two different cards. Slower being rated 30mb/s and the faster being 45mb/s. Both cards work without problems on Sony A65 1080p60 video.

17. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    what lens did you use?

18. Scoob

Scoob New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    I was using Olympus 17mm 1.8 lens.