Olympus OM-D E-M5 gripes/complains/criticisms/feature requests

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jcurious, Apr 30, 2012.

1. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There are plenty of topics that cover how wonderful the E-M5 is. I've decided to be a spoilsport and start up a topic on where the E-M5 falls short.

I've recently moved from a Panasonic G2 to the OM-D E-M5. The E-M5 blows my G2 away, but there are a couple of minor things that the G2 had that the E-M5 doesn't.

Keep in mind, these are minor nitpicks and certainly not things that would keep me from this camera.

*Timer doesn't support 3 shot mode (ie. take three shots after timer ticks)
    *Exposure can't be controlled after movie is started (except for AEL on one of the movie modes)
    *iAuto doesn't seem to be as smart as Panasonics iA (granted, I only use this if I have my settings set to something crazy and I need to bypass those settings to get a shot)
    *BatteryExtender handle makes in camera battery replacing a hassle
    *BatteryExtender handle can shift ever so slightly when used with a heavy lens if held certain ways.

Out of these, the item I really wish the camera had a timer 3 shot mode that worked with bracketing so I could setup for long exposure HDR without worrying about bumping the camera in the process.

What are your thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    You do know that you if you use the whole grip you can just put the battery in the grip right? I dont know why anyone would spend the money on the grip and only use half of it..just saying

3. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like to keep the camera small. I only use the top piece when I shoot with heavier lenses (100-300, 14-140) since it provides better support.

Even if you use the bottom part, it is still difficult to get to the internal camera battery. There are very few reasons to do this, since you can easily swap out the extended battery, but it is still a true statement and a valid nitpick. :)

4. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    Yes..that sure is a nitpick..what are we talking about here..an extra 5 seconds to unscrew the grip?

• Like Like x 1
  5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    My biggest gripes:

1) I have big hands... and no battery grip :frown: so it's a bit too small for my hands. I need either the battery grip, or a 3rd party leather case like I had for my E-P2, which gave me just enough additional stuff to hold on to.

2) Because of what I put in #1: the back end scroll wheel is awkward and annoying to rotate.

3) That damn right lug nut... again with #1, I think with a grip either oly or 4rd party- it would be fine, but without it keeps digging into my right hand when I shoot.

4) when the camera is resting on my chest, and on- to be on the ready, it makes the EVF go on because of the proximity, draining my battery a bit more than needed. I know I can either turn it off, but I like to "be ready."

5)when I have the screen tilted and am messing around with it either doing live view focusing for pictures, or scrolling through picture, if my hand gets anywhere near the EVF, it will activate it turning off whatever it was that I happened to be in the middle of.

6. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I think 90% of the time I'm going to be using the "half" of the grip, and 5% will have no grip entirely. This camera is balanced so perfectly with the "half" grip installed and is really wonderful to hold and use (the extra shutter button and wheel are way more accessible than the on body one).

I'm also coming from a G2, and here are my gripes:

• Turning on the camera, there is a significant delay almost a second or two before it is ready to shoot.
    • The control panel on the LCD is not touch-screen enabled (on the G2 I loved clicking on the control panel to change ISO, WB, etc)
    • The G2 was still able to get a freaking flash in there
    • With the G2, if I took a shot and during the preview in the EVF I decided I didn't like it, I could immediately hit the delete button and it would delete. On the E-M5, I have to skip the preview, go back into playback mode and delete the photo.

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Question, since you have one, and DPreview doesn't test it anymore, but how long does it take from the ON switch till the 1st shot is taken, and the same thing for 'wake from sleep' to the 1st shot. All three of my Panasonics are quite leisurely in this regard.

8. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Completely forgot my 2nd biggest gripe. Images playback delays.

I don't use the image-review delay. I just check pictures if I'm using a really slow shutter. Unfortunately, the camera seems to take forever between the time you push the *play* button and the first image comes up. Also, flipping between images is quite slow as well.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    it's a valid complaint though coming from a canon gripped system while doing events. sometimes, every second counts. and with the E-M5's battery life not exactly on par with say a 5D or 7D, I'd hate to spend the time to have to remove the grip just to swap the battery.

It would have been cool if oly made the front grip an extended battery in itself.

10. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I just tried it, nothing scientific, but about 3-4 seconds on my stopwatch for when it is off to first shot complete. And less than 2 seconds coming from sleep.

I put the camera in MF and with a shutter of 1/400s and just pressed and held the shutter release in each case and timed when the shot was complete. AF-priority was off.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't have the EM5, but here is my only complaint (and it's really for Oly in general): No C1/C2/C3 custom sets on the mode dial. I really love these when I have a camera that has them. Please Oly, add these to your next gen cams!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I don't have an EM5 yet, but I know what you mean. Best thing is to control yourself to delete stuff at the end of the day, instead of as you shoot. Took me a while, but finally did it! Probably saves time too by waiting until end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Yep, that's a good idea, but I shoot with an Eye-Fi card, so unless I delete it within about 10 seconds, it's transferred back home.

14. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Ah thanks. Was that with Eye-Fi?

15. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You can set function buttons to be one of your "myset"s. I know it's not quite the same thing, but it's not that far off depending on what you were using your c1/c2/c3s for.

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've tried this. IMO it's kludgey. Best implementation I've ever run into is the custom mode dial stops on the GRDiii. Simply fantastic. I guess I've been spoiled.

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    About half a second

Flip instantly using your finger on the touchscreen

• Like Like x 1
  18. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    I see what you are saying but if you use the grip as it was intended to be used, its just like the canon 5D or 7D.

Theres no getting around the fact that when you need a fresh battery your going to just have to change it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    My only real gripe is no way to review picture taken using EVF on the LCD without having to 'do something.' Either holding your eye to the EVF until the image appears there, then looking at the LCD, or some button pushing.

I also need to train myself to shoot with my right rather than left eye, as my face gets in the way of button pressing when using my left eye.....

I'll also only be using the landscape orientation part of the grip....

20. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Only gripe so far is that it is pretty outrageous that a lens hood doesn't come with the kit 12-50mm. It sort of makes a mockery of the idea that the camera is splash proof if you can't splash it and not have some nominal form of guard for the front element (and irrespective of protecting it from flare). Other than that minor gripe it is working beyond expectations.

Steve