Olympus OM-d E-m5 all around lens .....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PantelisMor, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello to everyone.

I am interested in buying olympus. So far i own Nikon d5100 with 18-55 kit. I am looking for an all around lens (Trips, walks). I can spend until 300,00 euro for this.

Thx a lot
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't live in Europe and don't really know European prices, but I don't think 300 euro is all that much for a good lens. Probably your best bet would be a relatively fast standard-length prime lens, like maybe the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 or m.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8. If you found yourself on the long end of the 18-55mm in the Nikon, then perhaps the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 would suit you well. A decent zoom lens like the Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 would no doubt break that budget, as would a faster prime lens like the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux. An affordable standard prime in the ~f/2 range is a reasonable option.
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The closest equivalent to what you have is the standard 14-42 kit zoom. You could opt for the twin lens kit with the standard zoom and the telephoto zoom 40-150mm. They're cheaper to buy as a kit with the camera than separately. The other alternative is the kit with the 12-50mm which has a very good macro function and is weather sealed like the camera.

If you already have the camera you can get the 14-150mm lens as a all in one walkaround zoom. If you're looking for a fixel focal length lens to compliment a zoom you already have then the 20mm Panasonic is a good choice.

4. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello again.

I read your comments. I search on google and i found good comments for the Panasonic 14-45 OIS.

What is your opinion for this lens ;;;;;
  5. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Olympus 14-42 iir
    Small when turned off. Sharp. Faaaast af. Cheap second hand (sold mine way to cheap)

If u are like me. Hating zooms. Then get the pana 20 1.7 for under 300. impressive IQ. Small. Perfect FOV imo.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Why not just stick with the Oly E-M5 kit lens? Under 300, better range (wider AND longer) than the other kit zooms if you favor range over fast aperture, and pretty damn good macro mode.

It's not my favorite lens for MFT (that's probably the 7-14 for zoom, and 14/2.5 for the primes I currently have, closely followed by the 20/1.7 and 45/1.8, all of which can be had for under 300 euros. The primes, not the 7-14) but it is very, very versatile. And weather sealed.
  7. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    As far as equivalent to the Nikon 18-55 in your price range, I think you would be looking at something like the original Panasonic 14-45.

Alternatively the Olympus 12-50 is a good option if you want a little more flexibility at the sacrifice of a little IQ.

If zoom isn't essential, I would also agree it would be hard to find anything better than the 20mm for that money.
  8. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    If you're getting the OM-D, I'd certainly suggest you get the 12-50 kit. The weather sealing might come very in handy during your trips, as might the macro capability. The 12mm wide end is also significantly wider than the usual 14(it may not seem like much of a difference in numbers, but it certainly is in use).

If you want a prime, go for the 20mm f1.7 if you're not expecting to shoot much at night(since high ISOs might cause banding with this lens on the OM-D). Otherwise, the 45mm f1.8 is a wonderful option if you like the long end/portraits. The 17mm f1.8 is also good, but might be out of your budget.

Also consider the two sigma f2.8 lenses.

Interestingly, although the 14-45 is sharper, I prefer how the 12-50 renders images, besides it just being all around much more useful(imo) because of the 12mm wide end.

I'd rank the kit lenses as 12-50>14-45>Olympus 14-42>Panny 14-42.
  9. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    i suggest 14-140 or 14-150 if you can pay. you can mostly get the images what you want
  10. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    After the bad press the 12-50mm zoom got, I was pleasantly surprised how good the lens was. Nice having the extra zoom on both ends and the 1:2 macro. I have found it sharp and excellent detail with the OM-D. Weather proofing a nice bonus.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2