1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark II report

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mat - MirrorLessons, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since I last wrote on this forum. I thought I could take the chance to come back and write a few impressions about the new E-M10 II. I've used the camera for two weeks now.

Olympus-omd-em10-mark-ii-review-product-1.

Overall, it is a nice update but a little bit less "exciting" than the E-M5 vs E-M5 II update because there isn't a lot of new features really. The camera picks some of the best specs from the other two OM-Ds. I like the new dials, very well made, chunkier and easy to use. The grip is good but becomes better only with the new ECG-3 grip (like it is already for the E-M10).

The new EVF is also slightly larger and has more resolution, great refresh rate and short time lag, it works well even in low light conditions. There is this new function called S-OVF that "emulates" an optical viewfinder (it won't preview your exposure or picture profile). I admit I was surprised at first to see this option in the menu but perhaps it can be of use for some people.

The new AF Targeting Pad (you change the focus point by touching the LCD while composing with the EVF) is a nice addition but nothing new for Panasonic users. However I find it to lack some precision in several occasions. There is a clever option to activate it or deactivate: you simply double-tap the screen.

I think that the best implementation is the 5-axis stabilisation (same generation as the E-M1).
    The video specs are the same as the E-M5 II as the movie stabilisation (5-axis as well). The new 4K timelapse movie saves the file only at 5fps, which is a very low frame rate. 20 or 24fps would have been better.

Love the autofocus, it is really fast in almost every conditions including moving subjects (I used the camera at a sport event and didn't have any problem with both continuous and tracking).

I find the new focus bracketing to be an excellent idea. When activated, the camera uses the electronic shutter and switches to continuous shooting speed (High, which is 11fps with the e-shutter). You can select the amount of images to take and the amount of focus distance to change (10 steps available from Narrower to Wider). I did a brief video below that shows you exactly what the camera does. Macro photographers should like this :)

My full review is online if you want to check it out (there is also a video review if you find the article too long).

Or you can simply ask me some questions here ;)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 6
  2. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Thanks for the thread...I'd assume less exciting an upgrade due to how well the original E-M10 was specced (3rd in the first generation of OM-D's and also a hybrid of the previous two OM-D's)?

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Thanks! I like your site as well - lots of good focus on the mirrorless cameras that appeal to me!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Well less exciting because it packs specs that already exist in the other cameras. The first E-M10 perhaps felt more "new" because it inaugurated a new segment in the OM-D series (sort of entry-level camera). That being said, I don't intend it in a negative way. And in total honesty I also admit that sometimes it is difficult to get excited with every new release (considering that I test many different cameras and not just Olympus).

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Some nice new features here. Focus stacking and rear AF point selection are worthwhile upgrades. Thanks for the quick review - nice and concise!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Oh, that focus bracketing is a neat little trick! I like that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Agreed - great for macro. Now, all we need is the new E-M1 with a hi-res sensor shift feature in sub-second time (ideally 1/30s or better) and we'll all be spending cash we don't have before you can say Mitani-San!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Focus bracketing... Drool... :inlove:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Actually I wonder if Olympus will manage to implement focus stacking in camera with future models. They like this kind of stuff (live composite, high res shot, etc).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I was going to say that too...neat trick and very useful for Macro however I'd love to see the option of stacking in-camera as well panoramic shots stitched together in-camera.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I don't know why they don't implement in-camera Panorama. Almost all the other mirrorless cameras have this now.

12. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Is 10 images max for the focusbracketing?

13. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Nope, you can go up to 999 in the menu setting :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    What a great idea (focus bracketing)... Does it change the aperture or the focus point whilst bracketing?

15. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    Nice feature that focus bracketing, but i dont see why they didnt do same with automatic Panorama stacking mode like Sony have and every mobile phone - it would be nice and big upgrade for everyday/non pro/new user

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Should like this?
    It's a macro wet dream.
    This camera will be bought for that single feature by some users.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    The focus point

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :biggrin: It's a better Lytro :biggrin:

Mat can you tell me if the pop-up flash angles back for a quick bounce?
    (Like the e-pL1, e-pL2 and GX1)

19. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Thx for the review Matt. One (maybe stupid) question regarding the focus stacking? Does it work only with the EZ kit or is it also supposed to work with dedicated macro lenses (Oly 60mm or Pana 45mm)? If this is possible to achieve with 1:1 magnification on Oly 60mm, it would be amazing...

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    It works fine with the 60mm Macro, that's the lens I used in the video above ;)

• Like Like x 2