OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10+M 14-42mm+40-150mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TMort, Mar 14, 2015.

1. TMort

TMort Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    APO USAEUR
    Im making the switch from dslr's to mirrorless. $588 US after military VAT discount etc, here in Europe? I'm thinking this is a good deal? Also, I already have a 20mm 1.7 (i think) panny lens I can use with this.

I would like to step slowly into this system and the EM10 looks like a great way to do it without spending too much $ on a body. I'm also hoping oly comes out with a larger sensor in their mirrorless bodies.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That is a nice combo. You will, however, receive a lot of suggestion for substitutes for the 14-42 lens.

3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It's a great place to start. That is the kit I have plus some adapted lenses. If you are anything like me, it will make you want to get out and take photos.

4. robertk328

robertk328 Going on a prime spree!

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    I have this same set and added a Panasonic 20/1.7 for lower light... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

5. TMort

TMort Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    APO USAEUR
    Yes! I have that same lens! It's currently on an older oly pl2 body. I never really got into the little oly though, focus was just too slow. Is the newer em10 much better in that area?

I plan on purchasing a 12-40 later on.

6. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Good question! We have an epl2 as well... I'll try it out tonight! I am not sure it's going to focus much faster since the motor is in the lens (maybe it's weak?) but I've read it does focus faster on some bodies...

7. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Just fired it up, and yeah it's slow on the E-PL2. Slow on the E-M10 but still had some more speed to focus on that body. I was testing it in a fairly dark room as well since that's where it's supposed to struggle. Still love the lens though, here's my most recent "favorite" picture I've done with it :)

8. TMort

TMort Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    APO USAEUR
    That's a very sharp pic!

9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The E-M10 is an awesome body. It will take a little time to get the settings the way you want, tied to various buttons etc., but the camera is a solid little performer. I'm going to buy the Mk.II E-M1 when it comes out simply because it feels so good in my hands. The E-M10 will do as my primary camera until then. It's very easy to haul around and the lenses are quite compact for their speed and image quality. The 14-42 is OK but too slow for all-round use over the longer term. The 40-150 R is an amazing lens for the dollar. You won't find much need for larger sensors unless you shoot in low light and do big 18x24 or larger prints. At ISO 500 and lower, I'm printing to 15x20 routinely, occasionally to 20x30 with zero image quality problems.

10. TMort

TMort Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    APO USAEUR
    What made you all choose oly over the Sony mirrorless cameras? I realize oly has a much better lens selection but I would think Sony will start putting more out very soon. Just curious.

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Quality and size of the lenses, and some of the AF tracking comparisons.

12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    This.

And IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  13. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Tons of available lenses.
    IBIS.
    Used market is plentiful.

14. TMort

TMort Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    APO USAEUR
    Sony has ibis also

15. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Olympus is a camera and optics company, first and foremost. Sony does whatever makes them money in that year or quarter. Considering what they're doing in the consumer television business, I'll take my chances on longevity in the camera line with Olympus.

16. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I don't think it is likely that Olympus will come out with a larger-sensored body, because they would need an entirely new lens line-up. Besides, the Oly sensors are already pretty good and sensors will probably continue getting better. The APCS (not APS-C) sensors that Sony has in development sound very promising.