Olympus OM-D E-M10 Image Thread

GuyInTexas

Mu-43 Rookie
Went a day early for a business trip to Colorado Springs, CO planning to do some sight seeing, but ended up being stymied by some unseasonable rainy conditions for the area. In a break in the rain, I was able to get some shots in the Garden of the Gods. I have been wanting to play around with HDR again after a long time away from doing anything with it. Here is a result out of SNS-HDR Lite from a 5 image sequence from the OMD-EM10 set to taking 3EV increments using the "-dramatic" option:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P7140498-502-HDR(5)_Dramatic
by A_Guy_In_Texas, on Flickr

Link to album with the 5 originals if anyone is interested in seeing what was used to generate the HDR image above...

Some quick thoughts I've had on the whole affair:
1. the 3EV increment seems to be overkill - the +6 and -6 exposures have lost an ocean of detail, but I used JPGs and not raw files, so I need to go back later and see what using raw will do for me.
2. I went to m4/3 because of the small form factor and low weight so I can easily travel with a camera of greater capacity than a point and shoot. I would have never taken my 7D and bag of lenses on this business trip. I also didn't take my "real" tripod (a Bogen / Manfrotto tilt head) because it too is big, bulky and heavy. I took a cheap-o Vivitar tripod because it is light. I was kicking myself for not having a real rock steady tripod - while the rain had stopped, there was a decent wind which was enough to move the EM10 around on the tripod, which wasn't very stable at all. I guess I need to start looking at investing in a carbon fiber tripod setup...

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
I just returned from a 16 day vacation in Italy and Norway. This was the first serious excursion for my E-M10. I took my Lumix 14-45, Oly 45/1.8 and Samyang 7mm FE. The camera performed flawlessly and I was impressed once again with the 14-45 I've had since my days with my GH1 and with which I took this picture. It is a 5-exposure HDR, but apart from that, untouched. I took it one morning in Stavanger when we were buying crabs off a dock.

Here's another straight out of the camera, with the same lens (14mm, ISO 200, 1/4000, f3.5)...

And the same location, 5-exposure HDR with a bit of artistic filtering...

Some tricky lighting in Gaeta, Italy, (45mm, ISO 200, 1/1600, f5.6) sooc w/ the 14-45..... (actually I probably had to straighten it because my son-in-law took the pic with my camera)

I don't feel any need to apologize for my m43 set up. I've been happy with the format since 2009.

MuBear

Mu-43 Regular
Is it just me or the images taken with the EM10 looks significantly better than the ones taken with the EM5? Or did you guys just got better at it :biggrin:
The images all look less noisy, less artifacts and the colors seem to be more... natural, less "plasticky".

marting24

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Martin Gonzalez
[/url]Santa Monica at Sunset by MGRX100, on Flickr[/IMG]

This little camera is no joke :tup:

Taken with the 12-40.

AlexH

Mu-43 Veteran

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
Is it just me or the images taken with the EM10 looks significantly better than the ones taken with the EM5? Or did you guys just got better at it :biggrin:
The images all look less noisy, less artifacts and the colors seem to be more... natural, less "plasticky".
I had the EM5 and now the EM10 and basically the same lenses. "Significantly better" - probably not, but there is at least to my eyes an improvement in DR and certainly noise at the higher ISOs. But I would not say "significant" and certainly not enough to justify selling one to get the other for the "IQ" itself.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom