Olympus OM-D E-M1 Vieo Play on TV, Jerky/Choppy

Tom2014

Mu-43 Regular
Hello everyone,

I recently uploaded all my videos on an external HDD and plug it to my Sony KDL-42W653A TV. The videos were shot with Canon 5d II, Panasonic GX1, Olympus E-M5 and E-M1. All movies play well except the video from E-M1, it plays jerky/choppy, cannot watch it at all. I played the video on my iMac, it's fine, no problem.

Dose anyone experience this issue? If so, how do you fix the problem?

Thank you
Tom

Tom2014

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you for the respond. I did not convert the video, it's straight from camera.

barry

Super Moderator
Sounds like your TV is struggling with the format or bit rate.
Transcoding is your best option if the camera doesn't give you other video format options.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

Tom2014

Mu-43 Regular
Sounds like your TV is struggling with the format or bit rate.
Transcoding is your best option if the camera doesn't give you other video format options.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

Thank you Barry.

Is the video specs from E-M5 same as E-M1? I have no issues play video from E-M5.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What was your shutter speed when shooting video? How does it look on your computer? Shooting with too fast a shutter speed at 24/30 fps can look like you describe.

Tom2014

Mu-43 Regular
What was your shutter speed when shooting video? How does it look on your computer? Shooting with too fast a shutter speed at 24/30 fps can look like you describe.

Thank you Jeff.

I think the camera only has one setting 30fps. It plays well on my computer.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Thank you Jeff.

I think the camera only has one setting 30fps. It plays well on my computer.

The frame rate, in this case 30fps, is a separate setting from your shutter speed. In general, unless you are looking for an effect, it is recommended that you use a shutter speed that is twice your frame rate. In this case, 1/60th. This does not answer why you can view the file on your iMac without trouble, but it plays choppy on your TV. Do you know what file format are each of the files? and, have you tried to play another E-M1 video on your TV?

--Ken

Tom2014

Mu-43 Regular
The frame rate, in this case 30fps, is a separate setting from your shutter speed. In general, unless you are looking for an effect, it is recommended that you use a shutter speed that is twice your frame rate. In this case, 1/60th. This does not answer why you can view the file on your iMac without trouble, but it plays choppy on your TV. Do you know what file format are each of the files? and, have you tried to play another E-M1 video on your TV?

--Ken

Thank you Ken for your input.

It's .MOV file format only. All video taken by EM1 is choppy. I have to convert it to mp4 format in iMovie so I can watch it on TV. I don't see the video quality different, it's just add one more step.
How do I set the shutter speed for video? I don't see any settings for change the shutter speed or aperture.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken

It's .MOV file format only. All video taken by EM1 is choppy. I have to convert it to mp4 format in iMovie so I can watch it on TV. I don't see the video quality different, it's just add one more step.
How do I set the shutter speed for video? I don't see any settings for change the shutter speed or aperture.

I have cycled through a number of Panasonic and Olympus bodies these past few years, and as I do not normally shoot video, and the E-M1 is my latest camera, I am going let somebody else jump in here, or suggest that you dig through the manual. Having said that I will attempt give a brief answer until somebody more qualified offers more detailed advice. In some bodies, the video picks up the mode settings for stills, so if you set the mode to Shutter, and set the shutter to 1/60th, you should be OK for 30fps.

Regarding file types, I do have one recent .MOV file that is not readable by Win Media Player, but I am not certain which camera body it came from. although I suspect it is the E-M1. The others are readable, but again, Win7 is not showing enough metadata from the files for me to determine which body the file was sot with. So, I suspect that there is some incompatibility between your TV and your newest .MOV files, but I do not know what that difference is.

Good luck,

--Ken

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross

--Ken

I have cycled through a number of Panasonic and Olympus bodies these past few years, and as I do not normally shoot video, and the E-M1 is my latest camera, I am going let somebody else jump in here, or suggest that you dig through the manual. Having said that I will attempt give a brief answer until somebody more qualified offers more detailed advice. In some bodies, the video picks up the mode settings for stills, so if you set the mode to Shutter, and set the shutter to 1/60th, you should be OK for 30fps.

Regarding file types, I do have one recent .MOV file that is not readable by Win Media Player, but I am not certain which camera body it came from. although I suspect it is the E-M1. The others are readable, but again, Win7 is not showing enough metadata from the files for me to determine which body the file was sot with. So, I suspect that there is some incompatibility between your TV and your newest .MOV files, but I do not know what that difference is.

Good luck,

--Ken
I would think the shutter speed only applies to stills that are taken during recording & actually stops & starts a new recording when using Video Mode (on the Mode dial at least). The other exposure settings, ISO, aperture & compensation I think still applies.

Tom2014

Mu-43 Regular

Good luck,

--Ken

I always using 30fps setting. I had E-M5 which takes .MOV file format video and the videos play fine on the same TV. On E-M1 I also tried taking video at both still mode and movie mode, I'm getting the same result.

Tom2014

Mu-43 Regular
I would think the shutter speed only applies to stills that are taken during recording & actually stops & starts a new recording when using Video Mode (on the Mode dial at least). The other exposure settings, ISO, aperture & compensation I think still applies.

Thank you Ross.
Yeah, I won't be able to change anything when using movie movie mode.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken

But the video does have to use some shutter speed, so there has to be some logic/method as to what/how it is selected. I know that there are a variety of methods of controlling video settings, and that varies from body to body (and that was the primary reasn that I was not able to provide a full repsonse). Unfortunately, I am swamped right now, so I do not have time to look further into the E-M1's differences from other bodies.

--Ken

Tom2014

Mu-43 Regular
But the video does have to use some shutter speed, so there has to be some logic/method as to what/how it is selected. I know that there are a variety of methods of controlling video settings, and that varies from body to body (and that was the primary reasn that I was not able to provide a full repsonse). Unfortunately, I am swamped right now, so I do not have time to look further into the E-M1's differences from other bodies.

--Ken

Unfortunately, I cannot change any settings(shutter speed or aperture) for video on E-M1.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross

--Ken

As I understand it, the speed is 30 fps & that is it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom