1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera Available for Pre-Order at B&H

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Ray Sachs, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera is available for pre-order at B&H. It should be available as a body only and with the new 12-40 f2.8 zoom lens. The 12-40 lens is also available separately.

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Seems like the Body will come out earlier October and the lens plus the Body with Kit lens will come out about a month after.

At least here in Japan

3. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    And so it begins.

Just think of all that legacy glass I never bought because of the slow AF on CDAF bodies and not caring about the original 4/3 bodies. And now think of how expensive they're gonna be.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Way too expensive for me. The only way I'd be remotely interested is if the PDAF works with the mFT lenses as well.

5. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    GX7 will be hit badly...

6. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Not really. Two different kind of cameras. I plan on buying the GX-7 for its video capabilities but I will probably get a E-M1 next spring as my first body for my professional photography work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    It kicks in for C-AF

8. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Hard to say. I didn't like the ergonomics on the GX7. I prefer the min-SLR style of the EM1.

9. SLOtographer

SLOtographer Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    California
    Stan
    Looks like a solid camera, and the PDAF on sensor unlocks the regular 43rds lens library. While I am not in the market for such a camera body, it's a nice (if expensive) addition to M43.

The weather sealing and the sealed f2.8 zooms can make this a hardy pro kit. The 40-150 also has a useful 300mm equivalent long end. This is an interesting move. You get the same aperture as the 35-100, but you gain an extra 100mm in reach. The two Oly f2.8 lenses covers 24-300mm with IBIS and f2.8. This is very versatile in the field.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I doubt the typical GX7 purchaser will cross shop this, and vice-versa. Sure, there will be some overlap, but the GX7 is a (relatively) small camera aimed at amateurs and advanced amateurs, with the size / handling compromise aimed more at size. The EM-1 is aimed at advanced amateurs and pros, and the size / handling balance is clearly aimed more at handling. It's a fair big larger with the hump, quite a bit heavier, and $400 more expensive. Then there's the obvious: some people simple won't own a "DSLR" style camera, others prefer them.

11. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Will we see the US kit (body + 12-40 lens) priced @ $2,199?

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The initial press release indicated a kit release at $2199, but I checked with B&H because that link to their site was broken. I was told that they heard from Olympus that they're not going to be sold as a kit.

-Ray

13. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    No silver body. But it would really look awkward with the grip. Perhaps Olympus reserved the silver models for E-M5 mark II and Pens.

14. ejackso1

ejackso1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
  15. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    That is indeed the initial price release.

It is being sold here in Japan in 3 configurations but maybe not in the USA?

E-M1 Body Only
    E-M1 + 12-40mm f/2.8 Kit
    E-M1 + 12-50mm Kit

16. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    I pre-ordered the moment the link to pre-order on B&H was available. Hopefully I'll get one in early October. Sadly, Fuji XE1+ lenses have to go to afford it. But it addresses all the ergonomics issues I've had with OMD EM5, from awkward on/off switch to small mushy buttons to lack of grip (well there is a grip but then you need to unscrew it each time you need the change the battery). Larger viewfinder, better IBIS, and arguably better picture quality are a plus.

By the way, I've read most of the reviews and previews but cannot find anything on Shutter Life by Olympus, does Olympus not rate its cameras in that regard?

17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Pricey ... but tempting.

18. FlyLo

FlyLo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don
    I'm sure it'll be a great camera, I'll be giving it a miss though.

I see camera bodies the same way I see phones. I find it unnecessary to upgrade to every new model and prefer every second model eg: I have a Galaxy S3 but won't be buying the S4, I'll wait for the S5 instead :)

19. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I almost placed a deposit for pre-order at a local camera shop today, but I couldn't decide if I want the body only or the body + 12-40/2.8. I wanted to see some tests on the image quality of the 12-40/2.8, especially compared to the 12-35/2.8 before taking the plunge...

20. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I quite like how they've priced the 12-40 f2.8 lens. A thousand bucks is still a big heap of change, but the Pana 12-35 f2.8 is listed at $1298 on B&H.