Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

DustyGeorge

Mu-43 Regular
My Menu is a great addition but what I'd really like is the ability to change the SCP with things that I actually use. I only shoot RAW and I still have things like Saturation, gradation,sharpness etc taking half the slots...
Control Panel.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Is this what you would like? It is an option to the SCP.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran

AF looks pretty good to me here, although not super conclusive of course. Any experienced portrait photographers can comment on this performance?

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane

AF looks pretty good to me here, although not super conclusive of course. Any experienced portrait photographers can comment on this performance?
I'd call that very good in my book. Not as sticky as the Sony A9 but I like it. They use a 45mm Pro @ f/1.2 so great performance with the shallow DoF. I also like how far it can pick someone too.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A lot of nice software additions.
I doubt it will be deployed to other cameras though... it would have been included in the last update.

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looks like an evolution and improvement on everything except the sensor and the EVF. Nowhere near enough of an improvement to justify the cost of upgrading from the em1.2 but if you're thinking of going top-end M43 then it's justifying its price tag.

The thing I don't get is the hate for the EVF. It's perfectly fine. It works. I can take pictures with it. I've taken many thousands of pictures with it. Seriously, if you want a big high pixel count bright screen then just use the mobile phone app and bluetooth.

So nice camera, but I won't be upgrading. I'll save my pennies for the behemoth lens that's hopefully going to arrive soon.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Man people do like to moan and groan for sure. Yeah it doesn’t do your dishes and it’s not a radical rethinking of what MFT has been capable of. But ?‍♂️, people need to freaking relax. I get it if you don’t like the EVF, but Panasonic has the same obsessions over old EVF’s, just look at the GX7/GX85/GX9 line. It’s not like the EM1’s EVF sucks. And so what if the sensor is the same, do you need 50 megapixels with 450 phase detect points that can crop at 200% so you can shoot the license plate numbers on cars 2 miles away? The 20 megapixel sensor is totally fine. I can’t wait to see what they come up with next, but if you *need* to be able to make 20x40 foot prints, go buy a Sony or Hasselblad. Olympus does need to make the money back on their R and D with the current gen sensor and have time to develop the new one.

Is the EVF on the E-M1.2/E-M1.3 noticeably better than the EVF on the GX7/GX85/GX9? I know it can't compare to the GX8/G9.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Is the EVF on the E-M1.2/E-M1.3 noticeably better than the EVF on the GX7/GX85/GX9? I know it can't compare to the GX8/G9.
To me it is.
Not sure if it is better than my G85 though. Waiting for my touch and try to find that out.
I have looked through the 1.2 and EMX a few times and the EVF is not bad, just not up the the best of todays cameras.
The EVF on my EM10 MkII is not that bad either.

To me the waivyness or tearing whatever you call it together with the small size on the cheaper Panasonics was too bad for me with glasses, but I can adapt to all the others I have seen on Mu-43 cameras. But I would not have tried as many as others on this forum.

Going against the grain I did not like the G9 EVF when I tried it on a Panasonic birding day. It was too fine for me.

We all like different EVFs so the best thing is to try with them, both being still and fast panning if you are a birder.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
A lot of nice software additions.
I doubt it will be deployed to other cameras though... it would have been included in the last update.

Olympus says that the 2 TruePic VIII processors in the E-M1X outperform the single TruePic IX processor in the E-M1 mk III.

It is possible that we might see the Starry AF come to the E-M1X if Olympus can make it happen on the TruePic VIII processors. It's an if though.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Obviously Wex shot this more to promote sales than as a review but I thought it was a great overview of the camera and the fun you can have with Micro Four-Thirds in general:

Last edited:

griswoldo

Mu-43 Regular

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
But then again HHHR on the E-M1.3 would be a plus for you. And the built in ND as well. And bodies aside, the new 12-45 f/4 look real interesting and will probably find it's way onto my Pen F.

Just a little clarification here, LiveND isn't a built-in ND filter. its just taking a bunch of shots and averaging them out. Similar to what you could do in Photoshop. Its an important distinction to make because, yes , it'll allow you to take long exposure shots in daylight, but it won't help keeping SS low for video or for keeping SS under the max sync speed for flash in bright daylight, you'd still need a real ND for those. I suspect that's why they called it 'Live ND' instead of just saying it has a built-in ND filter.

travelbug

Mu-43 Veteran
Imaging resource has already some samples on their page and they looks interesting.
Here is quick comparison at ISO 6400 between E-M1III handheld hires mode, E-M5III normal mode (same sensor as E-M1III) and Fujifilm XT3.
All images are processed in Rawtherapee with contrast up to 50% and capture sharpening enabled (manual setting in case of E-M1III) as I wanted to see how noise looks after relatively heavy processing at high ISO.
Fujifilm is clearly using chroma denoising so I used it too for E-M5III.
(I think that image from E-M5III looks surprisingly better than XT3 with more vivid colors even after chroma denoising.)

View attachment 802871

So does this mean there is high iso improvements in the em1.3 vs the em5.3 and em1.2 ?

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
View attachment 803301
Is this what you would like? It is an option to the SCP.
Is this an option on the EM1mk3 only? I would love to have that on my mk2.

I’m afraid none of these little things will come to previous models through a FW update as they used to do before. There’s not enough hardware changes to justify the upgrade so they are using these kind of things (my menu,etc) to differentiate them.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So does this mean there is high iso improvements in the em1.3 vs the em5.3 and em1.2 ?
Only in the handheld hires mode. Normal photos are the same as in the em5.3 and em1.2 (sensor is still the same).

Latest threads

Top Bottom