Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
Man people do like to moan and groan for sure. Yeah it doesn’t do your dishes and it’s not a radical rethinking of what MFT has been capable of. But ?‍♂️, people need to freaking relax. I get it if you don’t like the EVF, but Panasonic has the same obsessions over old EVF’s, just look at the GX7/GX85/GX9 line. It’s not like the EM1’s EVF sucks. And so what if the sensor is the same, do you need 50 megapixels with 450 phase detect points that can crop at 200% so you can shoot the license plate numbers on cars 2 miles away? The 20 megapixel sensor is totally fine. I can’t wait to see what they come up with next, but if you *need* to be able to make 20x40 foot prints, go buy a Sony or Hasselblad. Olympus does need to make the money back on their R and D with the current gen sensor and have time to develop the new one.
I totally agree. But that's what these forums are use for: moaning and groaning over every new release. Don't think it doesn't happen on the Canon, Nikon, and Sony boards!

BTW: I thought Olympus gets their sensors from Sony? (And that was the limiting factor in why you can't get more than 20 MP on MFT when phone sensors are hitting 100 MP [meaning Sony won't make them]).

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
What the...??? They are actually charging more for the 12-45 than the 12-40 there? That is rude! Either that, or the 12-40 is being heavily discounted.

I've heard rumours that the 12-40mm f2.8 is about to cop a price hike here (which makes sense. Olympus announced they're increasing their Pro lens RRP a while ago).

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I totally agree. But that's what these forums are use for: moaning and groaning over every new release. Don't think it doesn't happen on the Canon, Nikon, and Sony boards!

BTW: I thought Olympus gets their sensors from Sony? (And that was the limiting factor in why you can't get more than 20 MP on MFT when phone sensors are hitting 100 MP [meaning Sony won't make them]).
My guess is that smartphone sensors are just in a different R&D category than the large sensor category, and they certainly sell in much higher volume. Also, there are advantages to having larger pixels for light collection, so there is a balance to be made.

PhotoGraf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wes
What the...??? They are actually charging more for the 12-45 than the 12-40 there? That is rude! Either that, or the 12-40 is being heavily discounted.

Here in Canada (where we face our share of rude prices), there's a $500 price gap, down to $350 with the 12-40 on sale. Still, it's refreshing to see a PRO lens retail fro well under $1000 CDN at full MSRP.
IMG_20200213_001541.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Well I was getting interested in one of these, but unless I am missing something the kit pricing is not that good.

I hope I am missing something here :hmmm:

mkiii.jpg

12-40.jpg
kit.jpg

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
So, third day in after the announcement, and we're only just hitting page 6 of this thread. I detect that there's not a lot of excitement or emotion.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Had to check at B&H Photo website and they have the 12-40m f/2.8 on sale for $849 (Normally $999.). The new 12-45mm f/4 is $649 but it's not in stock yet.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So, third day in after the announcement, and we're only just hitting page 6 of this thread. I detect that there's not a lot of excitement or emotion.
E-M1III is clearly evolutionary model and not revolutionary as previous version was.
Personally I like it and only thing which prevents my purchase of it is lack of my financial resources. :)
I could buy body but without weather sealed lens that would be pointless.
I hope that it will be available soon as combo with new 12-45 f/4 lens at reasonable price.
But I'm tempted by E-M5III too as it has some advantages over the E-M1III (size, cost).

PhotoGraf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wes
I think what a lot of us are forgetting is the new processor and the potential future upgrades through firmware. I'm guessing there will be scope for some impressive firmware updates for the Mkiii if the new processor has the same power as the two in the EM1X. I think this will also signal the end of any major firmware updates for the Mkii.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
Kind of an underwhelming release but what did we expect with no new sensors available. No new EVF panel is a little shocking. I guess it’s too much to expect the one that goes into Panasonic S series but I would think there’s some middle ground to be had. Oh well.. At least the body shape is same and the battery grip can be reused.

hopefully Olympus has some software tricks that they’ll add via firmware later.

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think what a lot of us are forgetting is the new processor and the potential future upgrades through firmware. I'm guessing there will be scope for some impressive firmware updates for the Mkiii if the new processor has the same power as the two in the EM1X. I think this will also signal the end of any major firmware updates for the Mkii.
hopefully Olympus has some software tricks that they’ll add via firmware later.
I think that Oly did great job with FW v3 for the E-M1ii but I do not expect they will ever add useful things such as: MyMenu or custom AF targets. It is an irony that FW updates became a new product strategy. Sometimes it is better to have a feature rich product from day one. You can blame Fuji for that who made it so important (the first two X camera generations were basically beta products so they outshined all bug fixes with a new cool feature). On the other hand Oly has more time for new features/tweaks development.

Speaking about the E-M1iii it should inherit all things from the E-MIX one day. Namely any future AF refinements (S-AF, C-AF, C-AF+TR) which can be expected in FW v2 for the E-MIX in Q2 2020. Personally I would like to see a panorama stitching/stacking (JPEG) and panorama bracketing feature. Some ppl ask for better HDR modes or an artifact free tripod HR shot.

D

Deleted member 29285

Disappointment implies you were expecting more. I honestly don't see how any of us could. Modest incrementalism is king, and when you consider the X you had to know that Oly couldn't do too much with the MK3.

I'm a broken record on this, but I really think Oly needs better focus and segmentation. Have one "pro" DSLR-style camera. High end features and price, for those who can and will spend the cash for birding/wildlife and sports. Cram as many of those features as possible into a high end super-stylish compact option (yeah, the F) so you give the well-heeled something else to buy.

But really focus on the smaller bodies and lenses. Still a key point of differentiation for the format. Mashup the E-M5 and 10 lines in to one option, and bring along the E-PL line as well. Update the 1.8 primes (WR, at least). Try to come up with a reasonably priced zoom somewhere between the 14-42 options and the 12-40.

Consumer options: E-M5/10; E-PL; 17, 25, 45, 75/1.8; consumer 12-40; 14-150; 75-300. None of those lenses, except the 75, should cost more than $350. And keep a 14-42 and 40-150 as <$100 bargain options. Maybe try to market the previous gen bodies with the cheap 2-zoom kits to better compete with low end Canon and Nikon stuff.

Please excuse my ignorance but WTF is WR ??

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Vistek - perhaps a good view from an independent camera retailer who carry other lines and are not fan boys of one specific format!

good review from the Vistek video guy, comparing MFT (em1.3] against a comparably priced Sony FF.

Now being a Sony A73 shooter, I agree with much of what was said. However in the first point about long lenses the reviewer compares the Oly 300mm f4 to the $11,000 Sony 600mm f4, but does not mention the excellent Sony 200-600mm f5.6-6.3 zoom that can be had for $1,998, or $500 to $1000 less than the Olympus.

Loved my EM1 since 2013 but bought a Pany G9 about 2 years ago instead of the EM1 MK2 update because of the way better egronomics and supposedly better features, but the eye AF was terrible and I just never warmed up to it, way too video centric for me. So a few months later I looked at a Sony A73 and was impressed. Have had the Sony for 17 months now and just love it, and my M4/3 gear has been pretty much sitting in the closet. But I have some excellent M4/3 lenses and I am considering getting an Olympus EM1 MK 3, now that it (finally) has a joystick for AF selection and dedicated buttons for the ISO and EC. These controls, along with front and rear dials for SS and aperture, are how I like to shoot and control my settings.

I still shoot with Nikon too, but given the weight advantages of mirrorless lenses over DSLR ones, I could now see myself selling off all my Nikon gear, instead of M4/3, and keeping both the Sony and Olympus for everything. Would upgrade the A73 to either the A7R3 or R4, to gain the higher MP's for landscapes though, as that is what I now use the D800 for.

Last edited:

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Imaging resource has already some samples on their page and they looks interesting.
Here is quick comparison at ISO 6400 between E-M1III handheld hires mode, E-M5III normal mode (same sensor as E-M1III) and Fujifilm XT3.
All images are processed in Rawtherapee with contrast up to 50% and capture sharpening enabled (manual setting in case of E-M1III) as I wanted to see how noise looks after relatively heavy processing at high ISO.
Fujifilm is clearly using chroma denoising so I used it too for E-M5III.
(I think that image from E-M5III looks surprisingly better than XT3 with more vivid colors even after chroma denoising.)

em13em53ft3.jpg

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Had a quick look at the manual, wish they put hyperlinks in it like Panasonic do with their manuals so you can jump around. The manual to me is more like a technical reference book than a how to use the camera manual.

Considering a lot of reviewers indicate the in camera menu is still overly complicated Olympus dont seem interested in releasing a manual that may ease the pain. Perhaps they are not that interested in us less technically inclined, and think we should just use the new EM10 MkIII.

Luckily for people like me we have the forums to pick up where Olympus left off with regard to support.

Latest threads

Top Bottom