Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Rookie
View attachment 803301
Is this what you would like? It is an option to the SCP.
Is this an option on the EM1mk3 only? I would love to have that on my mk2.

I’m afraid none of these little things will come to previous models through a FW update as they used to do before. There’s not enough hardware changes to justify the upgrade so they are using these kind of things (my menu,etc) to differentiate them.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So does this mean there is high iso improvements in the em1.3 vs the em5.3 and em1.2 ?
Only in the handheld hires mode. Normal photos are the same as in the em5.3 and em1.2 (sensor is still the same).

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Not quite sure what to think about the images for which he claimed IS "came in really useful" as they were shot at 1/3200, 1/8000 & 1/1250 respectively.
Perhaps the usefulness refers to a nice stabilised view in EVF (?)
Exactly, if I recall he was DPR made a similar comment in their review.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Not quite sure what to think about the images for which he claimed IS "came in really useful" as they were shot at 1/3200, 1/8000 & 1/1250 respectively.
Well if you read how he took the pictures its quite clear why IS came in really useful...IS is useful for more that slow shutter speeds

c0ldc0ne

Mu-43 Regular
Perhaps the usefulness refers to a nice stabilised view in EVF (?)
That would make sense, but he did not allude to that in his article.

Well if you read how he took the pictures its quite clear why IS came in really useful...IS is useful for more that slow shutter speeds
I did read the article and can only assume that you mean his references to having "1/2 an ab" and being "wobbly". If so, then I still question the contribution of IS given the listed shutter speeds. I personally can't fathom how wobbly you have to be to take a blurry picture of a static subject at 1/8000.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
That would make sense, but he did not allude to that in his article.

I did read the article and can only assume that you mean his references to having "1/2 an ab" and being "wobbly". If so, then I still question the contribution of IS given the listed shutter speeds. I personally can't fathom how wobbly you have to be to take a blurry picture of a static subject at 1/8000.
With IS the image in the view finder / screen is stabilized which makes its much easier to compose the image and focus on the subject...it dosent matter how fast shutter speed you have if you miss focus on the subject.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
With regard to the article being discussed
I do macro and often try to get a spider in a web above my head, the IBIS even on an EM10 MkII helps keep the image in the frame when you are trying to fill the frame as much as possible. Same when shooting 300mm [Mu-43 focal length] and above IBIS helps keep the focus point on the eye on even head depending on distance and how long you have been out for the day.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
With regard to the article being discussed
I do macro and often try to get a spider in a web above my head, the IBIS even on an EM10 MkII helps keep the image in the frame when you are trying to fill the frame as much as possible. Same when shooting 300mm [Mu-43 focal length] and above IBIS helps keep the focus point on the eye on even head depending on distance and how long you have been out for the day.
This is an often overlooked feature of IS (OIS and IBIS).
When I shoot with a LONG lens, it is a LOT easier for me to hold the AF point on the subject, when the subject is NOT bouncing around in the viewfinder, as I wobble.
Then I can use single point AF, rather than 3x3 zone AF, and be able to pick out MY subject from a bunch of other players.
When I shoot sports, I shoot free-hand, so stability is entirely with the body, no monopod or tripod.

This is a place where the small/light m4/3 actually works against it. It is a LOT easier for me to hold a heavy lens steady than a light lens, while standing. The weight of the heavy lens dampens my normal body movements. So IS is needed to compensate for the removal of that dampening weight.
My former rifle coach once told me "weight is your friend." It helps to dampen out the body wobble.​
What is true for a target rifle is true for shooting a LONG lens.​
Yesterday, I was shooting baseball, from the outfield fence, with the EM1 + 75-300 at 300. I was getting frustrated at my inability to hold it as still as I could my heavier Nikon+70-200. It was simply the lack of weight to dampen my body movement. I had to brace myself up against the fence post, to steady myself.
But the cost of that heavy lens+camera is lugging around all that weight. No thank you. I'm getting too old for that. No FF lens longer/heavier than a 300/5.6.

c0ldc0ne

Mu-43 Regular
With IS the image in the view finder / screen is stabilized which makes its much easier to compose the image and focus on the subject...it dosent matter how fast shutter speed you have if you miss focus on the subject.
Absolutely, but to me that did not seem to be the focus of his appreciation.

Look, I've been using IBIS-equipped cameras for close to 8 years now and can sing their praises as vehemently as the next guy. It just struck me as odd that he specifically commended IS for the ability to lower your shutter speed, and then followed up with some markedly high SS examples.

Yes it makes a huge difference as you can shoot confidently at lower shutter speeds than you would otherwise

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Veteran

Look, I've been using IBIS-equipped cameras for close to 8 years now and can sing their praises as vehemently as the next guy. It just struck me as odd that he specifically commended IS for the ability to lower your shutter speed, and then followed up with some markedly high SS examples.
You are right. I did not read the article thoroughly enough.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe simply an example of the script not matching the pics. IOW bad planning.
The examples should be changed to be relevant to the script.

This is what happens when you don't have a good editor, to review and fix your mistakes.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

Ok, for me it was quite obvious that he didnt focus on the advatages with slow shutter speeds as he only mentioned that once, in the beginning...after that he basically only talks about how the IS makes him keep the shot nice and stable in the diffrent, interesting positios and wobbly situations.

Last edited:

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So does this mean there is high iso improvements in the em1.3 vs the em5.3 and em1.2 ?
BTW, better high ISO performance is always good but I think that many photographers don't have idea how excellent sensor in E-M1II/III/5/III already is. I've just compared RAWs from Imaging resource at ISO 25600 between Canon D90 and E-M5III and even after resampling them to the same size, E-M5III looks better.
(Canon D90 has new APSC sensor!)

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
BTW, better high ISO performance is always good but I think that many photographers don't have idea how excellent sensor in E-M1II/III/5/III already is. I've just compared RAWs from Imaging resource at ISO 25600 between Canon D90 and E-M5III and even after resampling them to the same size, E-M5III looks better.
(Canon D90 has new APSC sensor!)
Careful with the IR tool, they don't control the amount of light used between cameras so it's pretty much impossible to make low light/high ISO comparisons using their tool. The DPReview tool, while still imperfect, is much better in this regard.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Careful with the IR tool, they don't control the amount of light used between cameras so it's pretty much impossible to make low light/high ISO comparisons using their tool. The DPReview tool, while still imperfect, is much better in this regard.
That's true, personally I don't have full trust to either of them for many reasons but they are still the best for comparisons.
I'm looking now more on the Imaging Resource site because
a) they have already images from E-M1III.
b) Dpreview has weird Hires mode photos as those from IR are visibly sharper and without artifacts.
c) Dpreview don't have hires RAWs for E-M1II and G9.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's true, personally I don't have full trust to either of them for many reasons but they are still the best for comparisons.
I'm looking now more on the Imaging Resource site because
a) they have already images from E-M1III.
b) Dpreview has weird Hires mode photos as those from IR are visibly sharper and without artifacts.
c) Dpreview don't have hires RAWs for E-M1II and G9.
Yeah, for sure neither of them are perfect and the IR tool has its uses. I just wouldn't trust it for any kind of high ISO comparison in particular due to the lighting issues.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom