Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Imaging resource has already some samples on their page and they looks interesting.
Here is quick comparison at ISO 6400 between E-M1III handheld hires mode, E-M5III normal mode (same sensor as E-M1III) and Fujifilm XT3.
All images are processed in Rawtherapee with contrast up to 50% and capture sharpening enabled (manual setting in case of E-M1III) as I wanted to see how noise looks after relatively heavy processing at high ISO.
Fujifilm is clearly using chroma denoising so I used it too for E-M5III.
(I think that image from E-M5III looks surprisingly better than XT3 with more vivid colors even after chroma denoising.)

em13em53ft3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Had a quick look at the manual, wish they put hyperlinks in it like Panasonic do with their manuals so you can jump around. The manual to me is more like a technical reference book than a how to use the camera manual.

Considering a lot of reviewers indicate the in camera menu is still overly complicated Olympus dont seem interested in releasing a manual that may ease the pain. Perhaps they are not that interested in us less technically inclined, and think we should just use the new EM10 MkIII.

Luckily for people like me we have the forums to pick up where Olympus left off with regard to support.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Had a quick look at the manual, wish they put hyperlinks in it like Panasonic do with their manuals so you can jump around. The manual to me is more like a technical reference book than a how to use the camera manual.

Considering a lot of reviewers indicate the in camera menu is still overly complicated Olympus dont seem interested in releasing a manual that may ease the pain. Perhaps they are not that interested in us less technically inclined, and think we should just use the new EM10 MkIII.

Luckily for people like me we have the forums to pick up where Olympus left off with regard to support.
While I agree, that some “how to use” would seem desirable, I suspect it would turn into a nightmare of a job to write it. With all of the options available, under all of the features, and with everybody putting all the things together differently, in all of the Gin Joints in the world..... well I wouldn’t want the job of editing such a monster, ever.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While I agree, that some “how to use” would seem desirable, I suspect it would turn into a nightmare of a job to write it. With all of the options available, under all of the features, and with everybody putting all the things together differently, in all of the Gin Joints in the world..... well I wouldn’t want the job of editing such a monster, ever.
I suppose it would depend on how much to want to sell or market your product, especially if said market seems to be shrinking.

But since most people will probably just complain and buy anyway (me included) it is obviously not worth the financial return to produce a good manual

Tywais

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I find using Acrobat 'Find' works well enough for me but hyperlinks would be nice. :)

AmritR

Mu-43 Rookie

At the company I’m working for we have a similar problem, an overly complicated B2B website. We once discussed making an option to switch between a basic version of the website, hiding lots of stuff, and a full version of the website with all the options. Allas, lack of budget, etc.

Olympus could do something like that as well. For example remove all the picture quality options in the basic version. Then you will only have the best quality possible (raw and the largest jpg). If your buying a camera anno 2020, I doubt you’re going for medium or small jpg’s,I think you want the best.
If you do want those smaller jpg’s, switch to the full version.

then again, will Olympus have the budget to do something about it.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I suppose it would depend on how much to want to sell or market your product, especially if said market seems to be shrinking.

But since most people will probably just complain and buy anyway (me included) it is obviously not worth the financial return to produce a good manual
Anecdotally, I have never, ever, run across a technical manual that actually helped "how do I" (fill in the blank).

Last edited:

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Thinking of trying Fuji
I sold off my Fuji gear at the end of last year for a few reasons, image quality was NOT one of them. If you're a prime shooter after a nice small set of WR primes than Fuji is for you. There are also some nice higher end primes and some nice zooms. But the options are still much more limited. Then you have IBIS vs phase AF. Yes Fuji has phase AF on more (all?) bodies, but only one with IBIS (upcoming X-T4 should make it two). For me there was also the issue of the interface and controls. Yes in general I do really like the Fuji controls. But looking at my two favorite lenses I had one with a marked apertures ring and one without an aperture ring at all. So my X-E3 seemed like 2 different cameras depending on the lens. Sure there are differences between my Pen F and E-M1.2, but I can and have set the Pen F exposure comp dial to flash comp so the front and rear dials on both cameras function the same.

Just make sure you examine the whole system and how you use your camera first.

Add ‘My Menu’ to that list and it matches my impressions too.
I like the simplified SCP, would love to see that as a FW upgrade to the E-M1.2. (and others)

......FWIW, all of my friends who used to be Micro 4/3 shooters switched to full frame systems in the last couple of years. One of them still keeps G9 + PL100-400 for its telephoto reach, but that's it.
And I went the other way in 2018. I sold off my Nikon FF gear in favor of a smaller setup. I had a rolling bag of pro event gear, all gone. (D800, D750, 24-70 / 70-200 f/2.8 + 16-35 / 24-120 / 70-200 f/4 + SB-910 / SB-700 flashes; all gone.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I sold off my Fuji gear at the end of last year for a few reasons, image quality was NOT one of them. If you're a prime shooter after a nice small set of WR primes than Fuji is for you. There are also some nice higher end primes and some nice zooms. But the options are still much more limited. Then you have IBIS vs phase AF. Yes Fuji has phase AF on more (all?) bodies, but only one with IBIS (upcoming X-T4 should make it two). For me there was also the issue of the interface and controls. Yes in general I do really like the Fuji controls. But looking at my two favorite lenses I had one with a marked apertures ring and one without an aperture ring at all. So my X-E3 seemed like 2 different cameras depending on the lens. Sure there are differences between my Pen F and E-M1.2, but I can and have set the Pen F exposure comp dial to flash comp so the front and rear dials on both cameras function the same.

Just make sure you examine the whole system and how you use your camera first.

I like the simplified SCP, would love to see that as a FW upgrade to the E-M1.2. (and others)

And I went the other way in 2018. I sold off my Nikon FF gear in favor of a smaller setup. I had a rolling bag of pro event gear, all gone. (D800, D750, 24-70 / 70-200 f/2.8 + 16-35 / 24-120 / 70-200 f/4 + SB-910 / SB-700 flashes; all gone.
I am mostly looking for higher resolution landscape images. I love my Pen-f for portability and ability to just sling it over my shoulder for all day shooting. I have Ricoh GR I which I really love for ultimate compactness but mine is starting to miss focus randomly and I have had into the shop twice for dust removal. Maybe I will just get the GR III and call it good for while.

SLOtographer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Stan
I'm late to the discussion, but think the EM1.3 is an OK update. The camera as a whole has to be looked at a package deal, and it's aimed at people who want a small, rugged, outdoor system camera. You sacrifice some technical IQ to get the smaller system, and there is some tech like HHHR, HR, Livetime, and IBIS that gives you some ways to make up the IQ "gap."

For me, I don't see enough to make me upgrade my EM1.2 today. Once the reviews come out and firmware updates hit I could change my mind.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
For me having the joystick, configurable AF targets, ISO button, My Menus (something I loved about old Canon DSLRs), and 4 custom settings on the dial all motivate me to upgrade. What I can only hope for is animal eye AF as a firmware update. Only 1 fast SD card is a disappointment.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Now being a Sony A73 shooter, I agree with much of what was said. However in the first point about long lenses the reviewer compares the Oly 300mm f4 to the $11,000 Sony 600mm f4, but does not mention the excellent Sony 200-600mm f5.6-6.3 zoom that can be had for $1,998, or $500 to $1000 less than the Olympus.

Loved my EM1 since 2013 but bought a Pany G9 about 2 years ago instead of the EM1 MK2 update because of the way better egronomics and supposedly better features, but the eye AF was terrible and I just never warmed up to it, way too video centric for me. So a few months later I looked at a Sony A73 and was impressed. Have had the Sony for 17 months now and just love it, and my M4/3 gear has been pretty much sitting in the closet. But I have some excellent M4/3 lenses and I am considering getting an Olympus EM1 MK 3, now that it (finally) has a joystick for AF selection and dedicated buttons for the ISO and EC. These controls, along with front and rear dials for SS and aperture, are how I like to shoot and control my settings.

I still shoot with Nikon too, but given the weight advantages of mirrorless lenses over DSLR ones, I could now see myself selling off all my Nikon gear, instead of M4/3, and keeping both the Sony and Olympus for everything. Would upgrade the A73 to either the A7R3 or R4, to gain the higher MP's for landscapes though, as that is what I now use the D800 for.
In the uk my, admittedly brief, reseach has the Sony lens as £50 dearer than the Olympus. I would suggest that the quality of the Olympus will significantly exceed that of the Sony and it's faster. In addition the Sony combo is about 1kg heavier and much longer.
Brian

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I went into Manchester U.K. today, to have a look at the 5mk111, and 1mk111. No, not acailable. The Olympus rep was supposed to be at LCE with the bodies and the 12-40. No show. Maybe tomorrow. Then on to Jessops where the store has cleared out nearly everything Lumix. None!

Robin Wong just released a new video of new features on the III I haven't seen anywhere else. Worth a look.
Were the "Face priority" and "Face selection" functions already selectable on MkII as Fn functions?
We can see these options when Robin talks about Live View Boost option.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
My Menu is a great addition but what I'd really like is the ability to change the SCP with things that I actually use. I only shoot RAW and I still have things like Saturation, gradation,sharpness etc taking half the slots...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
BTW: I thought Olympus gets their sensors from Sony?
Currently they are. But they are not married to Sony. They could switch anytime and have in the past. Previous sensors for Olympus have been manufactured by Kodak and Panasonic (!!!). When they switched to Panasonic there was much moaning about how much better the colors were with the Kodak sensors.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom