Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

Real Name
Siegfried
Reading this discussion I find it interesting to see how many posters go to DPReview for information. Please keep in mind they openly host and support anti MFT posters on their forums. DPR support and promote:

- Daily & weekly posts with the biggest rumors possible on MFT & Olympus
- They were quick to report and talk days about "Olympus is closing in 8 months"
- Don't think the "Olympus is closing in 8 months" was not a campaign - track all the postings/timing on this rumor
- Completely biased reviews always listing questionable "What we don't want" conclusions
- Openly promoting full frame solutions (with many biased articles/content)
- DPReview hardly ever update MFT reviews after firmware updates
- Just go see how they bashed the EM5 III (Forum and reviews)
- Their latest official talking point is "Olympus upgraded CAF is erratic and no good
- Lets play a game - see if you can spot the main points they developing/listing to discredit the EM1 III, over the next months.....

I often think....imagine a potential buyer goes to DPReview for information on M43 cameras. What is the chances that person will forever run and NEVER buy MFT gear spending just a week at DPReview.....

I really sometimes think people still do not realize how important social media has become to the modern marketeer. How many people still believe most YouTube reviews are not paid reviews?

It is safe to say - DPReview is a full scale Full Frame Sanctuary.....

Last edited:
Real Name
Siegfried
Very disappointed in this announcement. I've a huge soft spot for Olympus. However it's not a case of is the camera good - it is, Olympus make great cameras and great lenses. It's a case of whether what they release today has value proposition relative to the competition.

From a price/performance/size/weight perspective, Fuji is the natural competitor.
In their own m43 landscape, the G9 is IMHO, a vastly superior purchase from an EVF, dual UHS ii cards, 4k60, touch screen ui, etc... and it's significantly cheaper.

I'm not intentionally ragging on Olympus, but there really isn't much of interest here that would make me want to pony up an extra 1k over buying a second hand or clearance EM1 mk ii.
I buy and sell to have a chance to try different cameras. I currently have a G9 with me. My camera of choice is Olympus and I have the EM1 II....previous had the EM1, EM5's...still use a Pen F.....get the picture... :)

Now when I use the G9, try the menus (and I am familiar having a GH4) plus plus its clear to me the G9 is a awesome camera, absolutely NO doubt. That said, interesting I do not really like the EVF on the G9 (several things I personally don't like about it). The camera is also too big for me. I prefer the EM1 body, I can add or remove a RSS bottom plate as I like, giving me that freedom to decide.....

I think they both awesome cameras and each has a market segment that will get amazing value from buying any of these bodies.... Getting an EM1 II today....absolutely nothing changed it from being an amazing camera for the next few years....like the GH4 or the G9....

I am always amazed to see just how popular the original EM1 and the GH4 still are today.....

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Reading this discussion I find it interesting to see how many posters go to DPReview for information. Please keep in mind they openly host and support anti MFT posters on their forums. DPR support and promote:

- They were quick to report and talk days about "Olympus is closing in 8 months"
- Don't think the "Olympus is closing in 8 months" was not a campaign - track all the postings/timing on this rumor
- Completely biased reviews always listing questionable "What we don't want" conclusions
- Their latest official talking point is "Olympus upgraded CAF is erratic and no good
- Lets play a game - see if you can spot the main points they developing/listing to discredit the EM1 III, over the next months.....

I often think....imagine a potential buyer goes to DPReview for information on M43 cameras. What is the chances that person will forever run and NEVER buy MFT gear spending just a week at DPReview.....

I really sometimes think people still do not realize how important social media has become to the modern marketeer. How many people still believe most YouTube reviews are not paid reviews?

I'm Olympus guy, but I don't see anything like that (ignoring forums as that's matter of users and not DPReview staff).
If anything they were pretty kind especially in case of E-M1III which is on the paper almost identical with E-M1II.
Citation from current initial review:

"There's a risk of the E-M1 III being seen as a repackaged E-M1X or a refreshed E-M1 Mark II but, like the recent E-M5 update, I think it's valuable to take a step back and look at the totality of what it offers, rather than worrying about whether you've seen some of the specs before...

The existence of the ~$2000 full-frame models will no doubt prompt lots of comments about the E-M1 III's launch price. But, while those cameras have the outward promise of better image quality, they don't necessarily offer the range of capabilities that the E-M1 III offers. Nor can they offer anything like the portability (or lens selection) of the Micro Four Thirds system, in those occasions you don't need directly equivalent image quality.

We can have a discussion about how much the E-M1 III 'should cost' only if you can name another camera that offers a comparable combination of excellent IS, video AF performance, shutter life, weather sealing, usable high-res mode and shooting rate.
"

I think that's pretty much spot on and as positive as it can be.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
I'm Olympus guy, but I don't see anything like that (ignoring forums as that's matter of users and not DPReview staff).
I agree, the main issue I have with DPReview is that the forum moderation model (or lack thereof) means that it has accumulated a lot of angry, damaged posters over the year. Even so, the various forums (including the MFT ones) are still used by some of the luminaries in the photographic tech community to post and discuss new developments and experimental results.

You just have to have a thick stomach and shield your eyes from the unhelpful chatter from the antisocial crowd...

They also host Chris and Jordan, who are among the best YT content creators around. Definitely very thoughtful and balanced.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel

Ah, my favourite game - "let's blame our own failures on enemy propaganda" ;)

In reality, of course, the camera market is shrinking by double digits every year as more and more people either use mobile phones to take photos, or just don't see the need to upgrade when the shiny new toy offers essentially the same features and performance as the old toy (case in point: Olympus E-M1 mk3). In this situation Micro 4/3 increasingly finds itself between the rock and the hard place and it's definitely not DPReview's fault.

FWIW, all of my friends who used to be Micro 4/3 shooters switched to full frame systems in the last couple of years. One of them still keeps G9 + PL100-400 for its telephoto reach, but that's it.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You just have to have a thick stomach and shield your eyes from the unhelpful chatter from the antisocial crowd...
They aren't problem for me as I don't consider them serious, they are trolls with minimal valid contribution to the discussion.
They are the noise of photographic community! :)

I'm doing detailed comparison between few weather sealed cameras, it's not done yet as I'm waiting for proper E-M1/5III reviews, but preliminary results show that if IQ of single shot isn't your main and only issue then only real competitor to the E-M1/5 series Olympus cameras is now Panasonic G9.

AmritR

Mu-43 Rookie
They aren't problem for me as I don't consider them serious, they are trolls with minimal valid contribution to the discussion.
They are the noise of photographic community! :)

I'm doing detailed comparison between few weather sealed cameras, it's not done yet as I'm waiting for proper E-M1/5III reviews, but preliminary results show that if IQ of single shot isn't your main and only issue then only real competitor to the E-M1/5 series Olympus cameras is now Panasonic G9.
Noise it may be, but I do think Bushmens comment is quite valid

I often think....imagine a potential buyer goes to DPReview for information on M43 cameras. What is the chances that person will forever run and NEVER buy MFT gear spending just a week at DPReview.....’

I think it’s even worse. All the negativity is probably damaging all brands, and related industries and services.

Somehow always have to think about what Steve Jobs once said in a early keynote:

30:15 onwards. (Edit:specifically 33:15 onwards)

This kind of positive thinking is probably too hard to do for most

Last edited:
Real Name
Siegfried
Noise it may be, but I do think Bushmens comment is quite valid

I often think....imagine a potential buyer goes to DPReview for information on M43 cameras. What is the chances that person will forever run and NEVER buy MFT gear spending just a week at DPReview.....’

I think it’s even worse. All the negativity is probably damaging all brands, and related industries and services.

Somehow always have to think about what Steve Jobs once said in a early keynote:

30:15 onwards

This kind of positive thinking is probably too hard to do for most
Really interesting, thanks.....

I sometimes look around me at the warrior culture out there fighting and demeaning until the last man standing..... (Last man standing :) )

One thing we know.. results speaks for itself, I personally believe Olympus is doing many things right today, lets talk again in 3 years, only then we will know... Does that mean those that value the format and the two brands should sit and watch? I do not think so, nothing wrong with saying.... no its enough, stop the negativity.....

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The problem for Olympus is that they need to tempt you to buy their new camera. For most of Oly's customer base, this kind of purchase is a luxury with a small dose of practical. There is a lot of emotion involved because they are trying to sell you something you don't really need. These sensual motivations loom large in the purchase of a car, so why not cameras? Cameras are tools but so are cars. The problem with both is that most available products will satisfy anyone's practical needs. Things like EVFs, fit &finish, etc. sell cameras just like style and unneeded horsepower sell cars.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Personally I get the impression that Olympus gave up on capturing new audiences and is content with marketing to their existing user base.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
One thing I am trying to rationalise, having read some reviews from Costa Rica, are the repeated reports that AF tracking doesn't work. At all. That makes no sense. At all. I can't imagine Oly sending a batch of bodies with it "turned off", but nor can I imagine them releasing a camera with a totally ineffectual function. Something weird with this.
The issue is that a lot of ppl test camera AF according to AF-C+TR performance + some ppl will claim that even 50% hit rate = doesnt work. So the AF reputation for Oly is bad in this regard.

The AF-C+TR mode still uses the old AF approach from the E-Mii FW v1.0 (Dec 2016). Nothing has changed since that in any OMD camera.
During the EMIX intro it was said that R&D is working on it. I suppose this could be a big new thing for future 1iii/1X update.

Last edited:

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Personally I get the impression that Olympus gave up on capturing new audiences and is content with marketing to their existing user base.
I think that is entirely consistent with the “cost conscious bean counters are in charge” theory that i have adopted recently.

They announced a focus on adding more pro/premium lightweight lens options, which is important because they had previously ceded the small pro side to Panasonic (kind of weird given than M43 is supposed to be about portability), and filled in the moderate performance birding range previously covered only by Panasonic 100-400.

The EM1.3-EM5.3 are enough to capture upgrades from existing customers with older/lower cameras.

Whereas people like me that want features outside the traditional Olympus wheelhouse (IE consider 10 bit video table stakes at this price point and wanted the 30fps/60fps mode leveraged into some kind of RAW capture) are kindly expected to go elsewhere by management, since it costs too much engineering work to add onto TruePic9 ASIC, and their primarily customer base (99% stills people, with all the video people long since jumped to Panasonic and third party bodies anyway) would not want the camera embiggened by an off the shelf video processing chip. Maybe they can fit that on the EM1X.2

AmritR

Mu-43 Rookie
Really interesting, thanks.....

I sometimes look around me at the warrior culture out there fighting and demeaning until the last man standing..... (Last man standing :) )

One thing we know.. results speaks for itself, I personally believe Olympus is doing many things right today, lets talk again in 3 years, only then we will know... Does that mean those that value the format and the two brands should sit and watch? I do not think so, nothing wrong with saying.... no its enough, stop the negativity.....
regarding this keynote. Years ago I watched the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/
Then got interested and watched this keynote directly afterwards.

If you’re interested in both drama and business, and the rise of Apple and Microsoft, this combination of the movie and the keynote afterwards, makes imo a very entertaining watch.
Also because the keynote was 1997, and the movie 1999. And unlike the people in ‘97 and ‘99, we know how things continued.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
One thing I am trying to rationalise, having read some reviews from Costa Rica, are the repeated reports that AF tracking doesn't work. At all. That makes no sense. At all. I can't imagine Oly sending a batch of bodies with it "turned off", but nor can I imagine them releasing a camera with a totally ineffectual function. Something weird with this.
They're talking of the "Tracking" mode whereby a little square box appears on what you initially focus on and then it sticks on that object. It's almost completely useless. Has been since the first Oly m43 camera I saw in 2012 and it's no better today. Keeping the subject in the focus area and using CAF does however work pretty well. The "AI" modes on the EM1x (trains, planes, and automobiles) works pretty well I understand too.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Ah, my favourite game - "let's blame our own failures on enemy propaganda" ;)

In reality, of course, the camera market is shrinking by double digits every year as more and more people either use mobile phones to take photos, or just don't see the need to upgrade when the shiny new toy offers essentially the same features and performance as the old toy (case in point: Olympus E-M1 mk3). In this situation Micro 4/3 increasingly finds itself between the rock and the hard place and it's definitely not DPReview's fault.

FWIW, all of my friends who used to be Micro 4/3 shooters switched to full frame systems in the last couple of years. One of them still keeps G9 + PL100-400 for its telephoto reach, but that's it.
I agree with all that. I love my Oly gear, and I'm personally happy with the IQ it gives - but it does seem that it's not taken seriously by "serious" photographers.

I think it's classic middle market malaise - when the squeeze comes, some go down-market (cheap, good-enough), and others go up-market (I've got the cash, I want the best). The people who might have bought a middle-of-the-range camera system are increasingly going to mobile phones, and the "serious" photographers don't see why they should spend comparable money on a system with a smaller sensor and apparently poorer IQ.

Of course, it's only the real cognoscenti who fully understand the m43 value proposition - but I guess you all know that!! :)

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
[...]

And the sad thing is that person will most likely end up buying a full frame camera with respective lenses, only for it to end up on a shelf after after a while, when the novelty has worn off, and it becomes a hassle to lug it around.

Digression:
This happened recently to someone I know when he moved over from analog to digital. He is in his 60s and came from a fairly comprehensive Pentax system with a collection of FA-lenses. I told him that he could just get a Pentax body and keep those FA-lenses. He was curious about Olympus because of the size and feature set, but was put off by what he had read about mFT online. Before going digital he spent a lot of time reading online about what to go for. This was at the time when the Nikon D800 was the subject of everyone's hype, so he bought a D800 with the ("holy trinity" f2.8 zooms) as that was what the online "experts" were raving about at the time. After a couple of years he grew increasingly tired of lugging that gear around, so he called me and asked about Olympus, as he had seen me with those small and compact cameras, this was early last year, he was about to pull the trigger on an E-M5 mkII, however I advised him to wait as there was an upgrade on the horizon.

On the subject of the E-M1 mkIII, I think the conclusion that DPR made (as quoted by someone above on this page) kind of sums it up pretty well:
There's a risk of the E-M1 III being seen as a repackaged E-M1X or a refreshed E-M1 Mark II but, like the recent E-M5 update, I think it's valuable to take a step back and look at the totality of what it offers, rather than worrying about whether you've seen some of the specs before...

The existence of the ~$2000 full-frame models will no doubt prompt lots of comments about the E-M1 III's launch price. But, while those cameras have the outward promise of better image quality, they don't necessarily offer the range of capabilities that the E-M1 III offers. Nor can they offer anything like the portability (or lens selection) of the Micro Four Thirds system, in those occasions you don't need directly equivalent image quality.

We can have a discussion about how much the E-M1 III 'should cost' only if you can name another camera that offers a comparable combination of excellent IS, video AF performance, shutter life, weather sealing, usable high-res mode and shooting rate.
Currently, there is nothing that matches it's feature set at it's price level, except for the older model, and other Olympus OM-D cameras, but that is a given. The problem with those "cheap" full frame cameras is that you need lenses to use them, and the lenses that does justice to their sensors are generally not cheap, and they are also generally big.

My only dislike here is that it's kind of lame of them to use a 2013 view finder on a 2020 camera, I also like the E-M1 classic's body better than the mkII/mkIII, as the former is more compact while offering (in my opinion) just as good ergonomics. But then again, I'm in the sort of "every gram, every mm counts" category. But, that (and to a much larger extent, the E-M5 classic) was from a time when Olympus just threw things at the wall to see what stuck, and went with that. Also, good that they kept the E-M1 mkIII at the same price level as the mkII, and that they didn't do a big $500 price hike this time.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom