Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

You can get an E-M1X for $3700 with a $500 prepaid Visa from DD atm. Much better deal.

I'm pretty underwhelmed. Bit disappointed at the lack of dual UHS II slots and lack of GPS and/or Bluetooth but the latter does take up extra space I guess.

In Australia the 12-45mm pricing is rude too. It's a few hundred more than the 12-40mm f2.8.

Olympus must be bleeding cash.
agree about the slots but the good news (?) is that there is bluetooth.

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Love the HHHR and live ND modes, and that it's releasing at $200 less than the E-M1mk2. While it is disappointing they are reusing the same EVF/LCD and single UHS-II/-1 slots from 4 years ago, it doesn't affect my end result, so I'm fine with it. All 3 are still useable. My biggest disappointment with the camera would have to be little to no improvement in the image sensor. Almost all the reviewers say it's about the same as the E-M1x/mk2. While I still love the images that come out of my E-M1mk2, it would have been nice to see any improvement in the image quality, even if it was only a small incremental improvement, especially after 4 years. Just my own 2 cents.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Wow. So many comments that mu43 is a sacrifice in IQ. I have an em1.2 and a Z7, both with premium lenses. Except for a greater ability to crop, I really don't see much difference in IQ. And the Z7 can't touch the OLY in IBIS or weather sealing, or compact size.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I agree with much of this article, but I do think he's down-playing the IQ from m43 cameras too much - for example:

Due to their small size, images taken with the E-M1 Mark III look best when scaled for viewing online. This is actually perhaps a plus since most folks will only be interested in publishing their images digitally. On Instagram, these images will look great. Printed larger? You’re looking at a tougher sell.
I don't agree with that at all. Printing big from m43 is not an issue. In fact, the print medium is way more forgiving than pixel peeking on large monitors. And who seriously does that unless it's just to prove how many Mp your camera's got?

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
I don't agree with that at all. Printing big from m43 is not an issue. In fact, the print medium is way more forgiving than pixel peeking on large monitors. And who seriously does that unless it's just to prove how many Mp your camera's got?
I do want the photos I take in 2020 to look amazing on the wall sized 16K OLED display that i will own in 2030.

My skills not so good, so it all has to come from IQ...

EDIT: semi-seriously, the marketing stops of a OLED in 2020 is 21, so if we trim that down to reality, it's probably a few stops in excess of what M43 can capture in a single exposure. So maybe we should be bracketing every landscape shot to future proof for such display scenarios.

Last edited:

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Regarding the EVF (and I have no horse in this race since the E-M1 bodies are bigger than I am interested in carrying) - I spent about 45 minutes at Bic Camera in Japan last week handling various lens and body combinations in Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, and Sony.* Maybe this is just because I'm coming from the relatively small EVF on the GX85, but the EVFs in both the E-M5 mkIII (same as this new E-M1 mkIII ?) and the Fuji X-T3 felt about the same to me. Both gave a large, crisp/clear view of the image. Maybe a case where the specs seem quite different on paper but don't translate into much of a real world difference? More powerful EVF means faster battery drain too. Just IMHO.

* As an aside, what a great place to try out gear! And they salespeople aren't constantly trying to talk to you about the models, unless you want them to.

tomO2013

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Very disappointed in this announcement. I've a huge soft spot for Olympus. However it's not a case of is the camera good - it is, Olympus make great cameras and great lenses. It's a case of whether what they release today has value proposition relative to the competition.

From a price/performance/size/weight perspective, Fuji is the natural competitor.
In their own m43 landscape, the G9 is IMHO, a vastly superior purchase from an EVF, dual UHS ii cards, 4k60, touch screen ui, etc... and it's significantly cheaper.

I'm not intentionally ragging on Olympus, but there really isn't much of interest here that would make me want to pony up an extra 1k over buying a second hand or clearance EM1 mk ii.

Dave Black

Mu-43 Rookie
Mine is on preorder, as is my wife's. Now in search of a old, cheap ILC camera to qualify for the $200 upgrade discount bringing the price down to $1599.

Due for delivery on the 24th, although my dealer says there could be some delay with Japanese shipping backed up because of the Chinese virus.
Same with me. I stopped by the local camera store and pre-ordered. I am planning on trading in the E-M1.2. This will leave me the Pen F, E-M1X and the new E-M1.3. My sales man said Feb 24th

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I think it’s very significant that after increasing the price on new models, the M1.3 steps down the price from the M1.2 by 10%. And that It’s immediately on sale for $200 off - making it 20% lower than the M1.2 launch price (at least in the US) with any trade-in (plus you get the value of your trade, of course). The US deals for the M1.2 launch were lens discounts, which got you to spend more to save more. This lets you spend less and also clean your clutter.

So yes, the upgrades to the camera are not earthshaking individually. But in aggregate they make for a noticeably better camera. And you can get it for 20% less than the predecessor cost three years ago. Does that mean an M1.2 Owner should rush to upgrade? Of course not. The improvements might not be worth the net cost of the upgrade to them. But it does make for a very attractive camera at a good price.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
In practice I have no issues with the EVF. So it sounds strange for me to complain about it but it’s more of a feature that I feel is necessary to keep up with the competition.

When the G9 has had a stonkingly good EVF for several years, the decision taken on the Em1iii Evf is the most surprising thing about the new camera.

The sensor, I get. Oly are largely in Sony's hands for new sensors. If it doesn't exist, they can't use it. But to continually use an old EVF in a flagship? It's weird. And if it's cost cutting, they'll find it's counterproductive. I don't have an issue with it on the 5 series. But the 1iii is a different matter.

All that said, as I'm finding on the 5iii, it's all about the total package. But it's a tougher sell without a couple of headline items that sound good on their own to prospective buyers.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Here are the upgrades that are most attractive to me as an E-M1.2 (and E-M1) owner.

- In-body charging. I travel with two chargers on longer trips with important photo opportunities (always have backup!), now I’ll only need one. I’m traveling this weekend, nothing special photographically, and I didn’t bring even one external charger for my E-M5.3. This might be the first time I’ve been away from home for even a few days without a charger.
- HHHR. Tripod HiRes hasn’t been an effective feature for me, but maybe this one will be.
- Joystick. I usually shoot with small single point S-AF, and this will help position the cursor. It also presumably frees up the direction buttons for other feature assignments. It would be even better yet still if the joystick could also be pushed for BBF. Don’t know if the hardware is there to allow a firmware update to enable this.
- Better AF and face detect. Always useful.
- Live ND. I often find myself kicking my own butt for not bringing even my circular ND filters along.

Would I like a better EVF? Sure. But I’ve never felt this one held me back.
Would I like two UHS-II slots? Sure. But I rarely stress the capability of the slots on my M1.2, and I normally shoot Raw + Jpeg with jpegs in slot 2 as a backup that I rarely use anyway. Being able to capture more images at a shoot to review when I get home is not something I would eagerly embrace.
Would I like more resolution on the LCD? Don’t really care.
Would I like more pixels on the sensor or better “IQ”? Sure. But I think the days of rapid improvement in raw IQ are long past. The 20MP m43 sensor still has a higher density than a 60MP Sony sensor, so we shouldn’t be surprised that we’re not seeing more pixels. Some day ...

Two non-feature oriented items appreciate are that the battery and battery grip (or in my case, the RRS L-plate) from the M1.2 will work. This will save upgraders hundreds of dollars, which is a really good thing.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I think that's the right attitude. Work out what is and isn't important for your needs and go from there.

I can vouch that USB charging makes a big difference to daily use and travel.

Two non-feature oriented items appreciate are that the battery and battery grip (or in my case, the RRS L-plate) from the M1.2 will work. This will save upgraders hundreds of dollars, which is a really good thing.
This is indeed a very good news! I was going to ask question regarding that and you answered it like a mind reader.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Here are the upgrades that are most attractive to me as an E-M1.2 (and E-M1) owner.

- In-body charging. I travel with two chargers on longer trips with important photo opportunities (always have backup!), now I’ll only need one. I’m traveling this weekend, nothing special photographically, and I didn’t bring even one external charger for my E-M5.3. This might be the first time I’ve been away from home for even a few days without a charger.
- HHHR. Tripod HiRes hasn’t been an effective feature for me, but maybe this one will be.
- Joystick. I usually shoot with small single point S-AF, and this will help position the cursor. It also presumably frees up the direction buttons for other feature assignments. It would be even better yet still if the joystick could also be pushed for BBF. Don’t know if the hardware is there to allow a firmware update to enable this.
- Better AF and face detect. Always useful.
- Live ND. I often find myself kicking my own butt for not bringing even my circular ND filters along.

Would I like a better EVF? Sure. But I’ve never felt this one held me back.
Would I like two UHS-II slots? Sure. But I rarely stress the capability of the slots on my M1.2, and I normally shoot Raw + Jpeg with jpegs in slot 2 as a backup that I rarely use anyway. Being able to capture more images at a shoot to review when I get home is not something I would eagerly embrace.
Would I like more resolution on the LCD? Don’t really care.
Would I like more pixels on the sensor or better “IQ”? Sure. But I think the days of rapid improvement in raw IQ are long past. The 20MP m43 sensor still has a higher density than a 60MP Sony sensor, so we shouldn’t be surprised that we’re not seeing more pixels. Some day ...

Add ‘My Menu’ to that list and it matches my impressions too.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
One thing I am trying to rationalise, having read some reviews from Costa Rica, are the repeated reports that AF tracking doesn't work. At all. That makes no sense. At all. I can't imagine Oly sending a batch of bodies with it "turned off", but nor can I imagine them releasing a camera with a totally ineffectual function. Something weird with this.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
One thing I am trying to rationalise, having read some reviews from Costa Rica, are the repeated reports that AF tracking doesn't work. At all. That makes no sense. At all. I can't imagine Oly sending a batch of bodies with it "turned off", but nor can I imagine them releasing a camera with a totally ineffectual function. Something weird with this.
Maybe they are using lenses which aren't compatible? I am thinking of something like AF-C not working with the Panny 20mm.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom